Wild yeast preservation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytbrew

Reaction score
I know the basics of saving yeast and yeast washing, but i want to try harvesting some wild yeast locally. If I get something I really like and want to keep going for a long time, what is the best way to keep some of the origional strain preserved for the future? Should I keep some of the 1st starter separate and build it up? Mainly want to be able to go back to it many times in the future and have it be the same as it was when I first isolated. Thanks for any input.

I have captured some wild yeast and have been using it for about 2 years. This is what I did. After I captured it I made a sample 1 gallon batch, to make sure that it was something I wanted to keep. I then washed the yeast from that batch and ended up with about 5 jars of yeast. Then I just take one of then occasionally and grow it up with a starter and have more yeast.

Here is the thread about my capture.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/wild-yeast-capture-success-419725/

Thanks. What about when you get to he last one? If you save yeast from that last brew and make 5 more, will they be as good as the first 5?

Thanks. What about when you get to he last one? If you save yeast from that last brew and make 5 more, will they be as good as the first 5?

I have been making starters from each jar to keep growing the yeast. I grow it before I brew a batch and then save some to grow more.

It is a great yeast, very Saison/ Belgian like. The brews I have made with it are very nice. Nice fruity flavor and it attenuates like crazy. Every brew has finished very low.

Back