Wild Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuzBrew

Reaction score
Hey Everyone! I live in Central Oregon and was hoping for some clarification on what this grain is? It looks like wild wheat to me, but I get mixed information when I try googling it so I'm hoping to get some input.

If it is wild wheat I plan on attempting to malt a small 1-2lb batch of it and see if I can add it to a small batch beer, or maybe even make a small test batch with it by itself.

Thanks.
IMG_20191103_165653.jpg
IMG_20191103_170037.jpg
IMG_20191103_170141.jpg

I would probably use it as 20-40% without malting it, combined with a good base malt. That's the safe play in my opinion.

The kernels look more like barley than wheat to me based on what I've seen but I really don't know. Can you tell by taste? To me wheat and barley taste and smell different. There are other grain possibilities as well, but I'm no farmer so can't help much with identification.

If you're interested in malting, our resident "jolly alcoholic" and home maltster @bracconiere I'm sure would love to help.

Cheers and welcome!

looks like rye to me, your acrospire is way to long...and it should be under a husk for malt.....

edit: you show a pic of the actual plant, did you thresh this your self? scythe(SP?) and all? i call it rye because of the green hue...

edit #2 wheat is smaller......rye is long, barley is plump.....still wondering how you harvested and threshed this......got me beat.....and also how you de husked it....????

(and we'll have you drinking in no time! gotta have starch, even industrial enzymes will convert a bad boy like that)

Last edited:
Ahhh, never even considered it being Rye. I threshed it by simply just lightly squeezing the Spike in my hand and the grains essentially just seperated from the lighter, husk-like stuff. Was thinking of just gathering a lot of spikes, putting them in a bucket with a lid, shake the crap out of it and use a hair dryer to blow away the lighter husk-like stuff. Also, there was no husk on the actual grain, like barley does.

I have not tried tasting or smelling it yet, but if it is Rye, it should have that distinct Rye smell and taste. I'll have to give it a shot tomorrow and get back to you all.

Thanks for the info!

I ask for very little, so the occasional kind word is very welcome. :cool:

obviously VERY little, i pick up 50lb sacks of barley for 12.99.....which is why i'm glad to offer a thanks of gratitude for your work! (if i could i'd wash your mash tun after brew day! ;))

and back on topic, if it doesn't have a husk, it's going to be hard to sparge it.....

Don't know if you ever got a good answer but I have had good luck with university profs. Try WSU as they have guys doing grain research.

Back