wild strain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icenine

Reaction score
I think I just caught a wild strain completely by accident. A couple of days after taking a sample of my wort for an OG reading and forgetting it on the counter, I had a vigorous fermentation. Sample was originally taken before I pitched the yeast. The fermentation has since subsided so I figured I'd try to build it up with some table sugar. Aroma of the fermented sample is much like what a Weiss would be like. During the time the sample was out, there were a few unrinsed empty Homebrew bottles in close proximity, and a Sourdough starter I've been using to make bread with.

Awesome. I would recommend building the colony up with a weak wort (~1.030) as opposed to table sugar. This way, if it is something you could ferment a beer with, it will be accustomed to wort.

I just figured I'd throw the whole sample into some sugar water just for fun and see how far down it'll ferment. If it does ferment strongly, I might try crushing some 2row and making a small wort starter to build up these yeasties. After that, if I'm successful I might just try a small 2 gallon batch of 2 row on it.

The point of using wort rather than sugar water is that yeast gets lazy real fast, and it might not do so well on wort after you feed it table sugar.

Did you sanitize the container you use for wort samples between your last brew and this one? I often just rinse mine with warm water, since the sample is just going down my gullet anyhow. But that would mean it may have some yeast from the last batch in it.

Back