Brett Beer Wild Fellers - 100% Brett IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically, yes. I have two brett vessels and no non-brett. lol. I guess i’ll go buy a new bucket this weekend. Or just ferment strait in a glass carboy for the primary fermentation. I had always heard that Brett can be hard to remove, especially from plastic primary buckets, but i’m surprised at how prominent it is.

I know this is an old thread, but it seems worthy of awakening from the grave! I want to brew this but as @Beeru discovered it will contaminate plastic. I only have a spiedle and 2x 5gal carboys. If I were to do, say 4.75gal in a carboy could I get away without using a blowoff tube since its 100% Brett? Cheers!

I know this is an old thread, but it seems worthy of awakening from the grave! I want to brew this but as @Beeru discovered it will contaminate plastic. I only have a spiedle and 2x 5gal carboys. If I were to do, say 4.75gal in a carboy could I get away without using a blowoff tube since its 100% Brett? Cheers!

I would probably put a blowoff on it to be safe if you are going that high on volume, but you may not need it. Definitely use glass or dedicated plastic.

I would probably put a blowoff on it to be safe if you are going that high on volume, but you may not need it. Definitely use glass or dedicated plastic.

Not only dedicated plastic, but a dedicated space for them as well, at least a few feet away from your other brews. I don’t know if it can spread through the air, but it can definitely infect adjacent buckets if they’re right beside each other.

Not only dedicated plastic, but a dedicated space for them as well, at least a few feet away from your other brews. I don’t know if it can spread through the air, but it can definitely infect adjacent buckets if they’re right beside each other.

Brett actually can spread airborne if you are not careful, so I second this.

I have done 70 with a gradual raise to 74 and a crash and 68 ramping to 84 and a crash. Both worked out really well though I think I would try and do 2 weeks at 68 and then a two week ramp to 84 if I had my choice. Definitely give it a month or so to fully ferment.

I'm hoping for this brew to be next in line. Currently I only have the ability to control temps to be warmer (damn ferm chamber went out...) so I will likely start this one around 70 for a week or so, ramp it towards 80 for another week or so then kinda let it do what it wants at room temp (which, will be in an unregulated bedroom so the temps can get pretty high). As soon as I can source the yeast I'll be in business. Thanks for the temp advice. Cheers!

Back