Wil Wheaton is a homebrewer and reads HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homercidal said:
I played in the pre release and thought it was way too much like WoW. Except not as much fun. To me it sounded like some WoW players got disenfranchised with the game so they decided to break off and make their own version.

I think the players will find that the same jerks who make WoW frustrating sometimes, will end up being jerks on RIFT as well.

Huh? Is there another franchise with a similar name?

Cuz I'm talking about Rifts, a table top RPG... with the dice and the character sheets. And I mentioned I played in middle school. War craft 2 had barely been invented then.

:D

Huh? Is there another franchise with a similar name?

Cuz I'm talking about Rifts, a table top RPG... with the dice and the character sheets. And I mentioned I played in middle school. War craft 2 had barely been invented then.

:D

Oh, I thought you meant the MMORPG Rift!

Never heard of Rifts. I didn't catch the part about middle school. Maybe you are underage and just slipped up this one time?? :D

Nvermind. carryon. :/

HAHA Awesome.

And just for reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifts_%28role-playing_game%29
Rifts_ultimate_edition.jpeg

Heh I totally had (might still have) that book

Watched a little Wesley Crusher last night. Episode starred him and some other young hopefuls as they competed for a spot in the academy. Good stuff.

Watched a little Wesley Crusher last night. Episode starred him and some other young hopefuls as they competed for a spot in the academy. Good stuff.

The one with the accident and whether it's his fault?

My favorite was when he was working with "The Traveler" and had like "special powers" to control the warp field with his mind. "The Traveler" told him he was "special" and was going to do great things ect... then they never followed up on it. Instead he just went to the Academy and was responsible for the death of a fellow classmate. Good job Wesley, way to waste a gift. :D

My favorite is when they go down to the hedonistic planet where everyone is sexy and run everywhere for travel/social-interaction/etc. Wil Wheaton is playing some kind of game with the local youngins and ends up falling in this tiny patch of land that is for some reason forbidden and he is sentenced to death.

It's one of the better episodes that displays, in my opinion, Gene Roddenbery's true purpose for Star Trek: to examine and postulate the possible ethical and political implications interstellar travel can produce.

And speaking of which, a couple semesters ago I took the greatest general capstone course ever -- Star Trek: Laws and Ethics. It's an upper-division criminal justice course where we examined laws and ethics of futuristic civilizations and we compared Star Trek (TOS, TNG, and Voyager) with GATTACA and 1984. Really cool class.

I read about this on reddit a while back.

I'm not sure why you all are pretending to be Wil Wheaton-homebrewer.
Brew one batch and you are a homebrewer?

I was on tv one time.

Meet olllllo, star of the small screen, television personality and YouTube sensation in which Sam Caligone played a supporting role.

I read about this on reddit a while back.

I'm not sure why you all are pretending to be Wil Wheaton-homebrewer.
Brew one batch and you are a homebrewer?

I was on tv one time.

Meet olllllo, star of the small screen, television personality and YouTube sensation in which Sam Caligone played a supporting role.

Another Redditor? Holly hell want to be best friends for life?

Naw the one where he misses out, barely, to a strange alien who breathes from a gas tube. Actually, he misses out against a really hot young girl who will probably go pretty far in Starfleet just on her looks (if she's willing enough), because they may have conquered space and energy, they still have not conquered the power of sex.

It's the one where this real jerk comes aboard and interrogates the crew to find something wrong with the ship, and it turns out they were just testing to see if Picard was suitable for a promotion.

Naw the one where he misses out, barely, to a strange alien who breathes from a gas tube. Actually, he misses out against a really hot young girl who will probably go pretty far in Starfleet just on her looks (if she's willing enough), because they may have conquered space and energy, they still have not conquered the power of sex.

It's the one where this real jerk comes aboard and interrogates the crew to find something wrong with the ship, and it turns out they were just testing to see if Picard was suitable for a promotion.

They covered space sex and the psychology of it through out the entire series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexuality_in_Star_Trek

That's an impressively long article, I can only assume it covers green women.

Clearly Mr. Wheaton needs to market a new grain mill. Or maybe just endorse an existing one. Can you see the print ad? He'd have to wear the uniform, right?

Wil is on the big bang theory (which I've never watched before) right now....

People say it's a good show, I've seen them advertise the syndication for some time now.

People say it's a good show, I've seen them advertise the syndication for some time now.

It's a great show! It's also one of those shows that I keep forgetting to tune in to... :(

Needs more hot women though. The only thing better than hot women, is hot women surrounded by nerds that give you the idea that the hot women might actually find you more attractive by comparison. :rockin:

They're the hippest dressed nerds I've ever seen. Nerdom's changed since I was one.

Ha ha...

I guess I didn't notice. I'm too nerdy to comprehend fashion.

Also, though, they aren't creepy enough. Most smart nerdy people are pretty creepy. I'm talking smiling at odd times, embarrassing laugh, don'ttouchme! kind of creepy.

I apologize in advance if I've offended anyone.

Needs more hot women though. The only thing better than hot women, is hot women surrounded by nerds that give you the idea that the hot women might actually find you more attractive by comparison.

The problem with that logic is that the nerds are probably in better paying jobs than the average Joe. I've been told (by a hot woman) that engineers become very attractive by the time they're in their 30s.

Besides, geeks make better lovers.

Dave

The problem with that logic is that the nerds are probably in better paying jobs than the average Joe. I've been told (by a hot woman) that engineers become very attractive by the time they're in their 30s.

Dave

But a recent study found that guys who can make girls laugh are more attractive than guys with more money. I'm hoping this is the case.

But the problem is that humans, while still acting on primal instinct in some cases, tend of exhibit variable behaviors due to our ability to rationalize.

There are the exceptions, also.... for instance, there is a lot of evidence showing that a sexuall viable woman will find a man significantly more attractive if he appears to be paired with a woman that the first woman determines to be an attractive individual. That's evidence of our historial polyandrous behavior.

Also, The Big Bang Theory is definitely one of my favorite shows of all time.

Also, though, they aren't creepy enough. Most smart nerdy people are pretty creepy. I'm talking smiling at odd times, embarrassing laugh, don'ttouchme! kind of creepy.

Yep, mad skills and general crippling social awkwardness. That's why they pay us the big bucks and then give us a desk in the closet.

You guys who think a nerd is someone who watches Star Trek don't know real nerd. I don't want to embarrass myself here, but I can tell you that real nerd-dom is far, far deeper than watching some TV show. And it is socially stifling to the point that we tend to avoid social interaction as much as possible. The only way to feign normalcy is to hang in online forums like this.

You guys who think a nerd is someone who watches Star Trek don't know real nerd. I don't want to embarrass myself here, but I can tell you that real nerd-dom is far, far deeper than watching some TV show. And it is socially stifling to the point that we tend to avoid social interaction as much as possible. The only way to feign normalcy is to hang in online forums like this.

This!

See there's a bit of a misconception. "Nerd" is a general term, usually used as you put it.

But "geek" is far more specific. You can't really just call someone a geek... it's more like "Star Trek Geek", "Classic TV Geek", "Movie Geek", "Engineering Geek", "Homebrew Geek", etc

When the popular media/clothing/etc people say "geek" they mean "geek chic".... yes, that's a real thing now. Sad, I know. Can't tell you how many ******* underclassman on my campus wear Buddy Holly glasses without the lenses.

The only way to feign normalcy is to hang in online forums like this.

They built the Internet so they could communicate with people on their own terms, and now they're getting rich selling it to everybody else.

Now that's what I call "revenge of the nerds."

Dave

It's a great show! It's also one of those shows that I keep forgetting to tune in to... :(

Needs more hot women though. The only thing better than hot women, is hot women surrounded by nerds that give you the idea that the hot women might actually find you more attractive by comparison. :rockin:

I'll give it a try then.

They're the hippest dressed nerds I've ever seen. Nerdom's changed since I was one.

I always laughed at nerd "style" as all the nerds I knew didn't dress any way in particular it just never looked quite right.

Ha ha...

I guess I didn't notice. I'm too nerdy to comprehend fashion.

I apologize in advance if I've offended anyone.

Very true.

Dave

You have to try harder. Also you've had more time to just think about technique... not that I would know.

Watching? No. Dressing up and trying to live it out with a group of your friends who rarely see daylight as they don't make an adequate SPF? You betcha. Constantly debating hypothetical or the morals of the show? Yup.

Latest posts

Back