Why not let us know where you're from?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just the influx of Millennials. The entitlement is strong with these.

:mug:

huh? technically i'm a millennial and its in my profile... YAY GENERALIZATIONS.

I generally don't care if people know where I'm from. I don't have anything worth assaulting me over. However, I can start to see how having any sort of information about me, tied to me, on the internet can be "data-mined" to form a profile that can be used for marketing or other nefarious goals…

So, I guess there is a rational fear in some minds that leads to less information available.

It seems a lot of folks are afraid to disclose their location around here. I have never been very specific but I give a state at least. Is there something to fear? I can count on less than one hand the times I've been assaulted by a home brewer.

I TOLD you I was sorry about the assaults. I was just so mad you were out of brisket. It will not happen again.

I think with some people, the apps make it hard to add/show a location. I never use the app but I seem to remember that was an issue when I did use it.

Mostly what Harrke said. We have profiles and information all over the place, especially if you use the same usernames and such. Con-artists, scammers, and just plan ******** can use information like that to mess with your life, not just in finding where you live.

On top of that, some people have jobs which include a fair amount of training in why you don't scatter information about yourself across the internet. So, even though this is just a harmless brewing forum, I, and many others choose to limit the amount of information that can point directly to me in the real world.

Also, maybe it's because of Poe's Law of the Internet, or because you posted at 3am EST, but I'm not sure how millennial/GenY entitlement would have anything to do with personal info on the internet.

Hi all - I just joined after using this forum as a resource for the last year. I'm on Vancouver Island (Western Canada).

We were there a number of years ago, a wonderful place indeed!! Stayed in the Tofino area, and plan on returning some time soon. Love!

No worries if someone wants to find where I live....
Got friends like Smith, Wesson, Remington, Browning; we get together all the time and get fired up in my back 40.
But if some people have fears, I can understand and accept that.

Sometimes it helps me respond to a post if I know where the person lives, especially if it is outside the U.S., but even within the U.S. there are large differences in weather, elevation, etc. that could be useful.

Sometimes it helps me respond to a post if I know where the person lives, especially if it is outside the U.S., but even within the U.S. there are large differences in weather, elevation, etc. that could be useful.

That's my main point. It is helpful in discussions sometimes. Sometimes just interesting.

hey all, new member from CO. what a great forum. I like it a lot. long time lurker, had to join to see pics in certain threads. Now I open up the chance of liquored up posting...sorry in advance.:) Merry Christmas to you all

Welcome! I list FOCO, but actually live in between Loveland and Berthoud. :mug:

Montana.

mt.jpg

Not sure why people would not post a city, suburb, etc.

but those same people will put their credit card in online for a store that they got to through a link in their email.... with the security pinn, set up 4 security questions, etc....

Chicagoland area here, (near six flags)

The back woods of NW Georgia, here. I'm fairly sure the data miners already have at least that much.

Latest posts

Back