Why no higher end picnic taps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• pluto.png
    pluto.png
    199.8 KB · Views: 16
A fairly recent kegging convert here. I am still using plastic picnic taps in a dedicated refrigerator. While I really do want to move away from them to proper faucets, the cost is quite prohibitive by comparison. I have only two kegs at the moment, might get a third but probably no more than 3 in total for the foreseeable future. I just priced out 2 Nukataps, shanks and a drip tray. $150 to $200 is pretty steep just to avoid opening the door. I totally appreciate wanting a more professional solution, but right now it's hard for me to justify (to the wife that is). Yes, I could do it a bit cheaper, but I am a buy once, cry once kinda guy for most things. So for now, add me to the "picnic tap" list.

$150 to $200 is pretty steep just to avoid opening the door

this thread is still alive? SS picnic taps have a market! 😛

and really you don't have to open the door...i just drilled holes the size of the bev tubing and hook everything up after i run the tube through the holes...here's my picnic taps...

stickers.jpg

(but can you imagine if they were stainless! that'd be some serious bling!)

Attachments

• SUNP0108.jpg
    SUNP0108.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 18
One must decide what is more important, of course.
I think they look pretty cool - like what George Jetson would have used...

Cheers! :)

yeah, i just can't invision a pluto gun hanging off the front of my fridge door.....i don't even know how i'd pour a glass with it there....

damn i was dreaming about spending $50 at a gas station liquor store all night too! i plopped two into my cart and my heart dropped a bit, when it was just a pre-order....anyway, hopefully i actually get them in reasonable time! going to be awesome! :mug:

Have to wonder if this thread is the sole reason they realized that there was a market for a stainless picnic tap. If so, thank you TechFanMD, bracconiere and the rest who debated it and established there was an actual need.

i had the same thought! :mug:

Hope the connection between handle and internals is better than on the plastic ones. Durability is key for this very neat development.

Would be ideal if I ever have a brett keg as I could boil this afterwards or pop it in the pressure cooker after some chemical slaying.
Suspect postage to New Zealand would make a Nukatap more cost viable.

I like my picnic taps. You can't beat the price and they're easy to clean. They get the beer in the glass and that's what matters to me. My friends wouldn't be impressed if they were high end. Adding the bases made them quite useful.
image1 (2).jpeg image4 (2).jpeg

What would be cool is a beer gun that you load with a CO2 cartridge and connect with 2 hoses. Gas in, beer out. Maintain pressure as you dispense.

Capturing fermentation airlock pressure to dispense beer out of another keg would be mad genius.

Capturing fermentation airlock pressure to dispense beer out of another keg would be mad genius.
What would be cool is a beer gun that you load with a CO2 cartridge and connect with 2 hoses. Gas in, beer out. Maintain pressure as you dispense.

i thought you were trying to think up a way to have a fancy line balancer? i was thinking just hook up a empty keg to the gas, then have a spunding on the beer out side, set it to like a couple psi less then the beer serving pressure. have a tee right before the tap. maybe with a check valve or something on the gas?

unless that was a witty comment about using sanke kegs?

I think we discussed this on another thread using a pressure ferment and keeping it going with a spunding valve as the means of running a kegerator ( for gas only ).

LMAO, I have had commercial multi keg beer coolers, kegerators, converted refrigerators, picnic coolers etc, and after more than 30 years of brewing, I now prefer a simple picnic faucet with a short beer line. Yeah they are cheep, but they are easily cleanable and pour a perfect beer. I only drink a couple of brews when I drink so I remove and disassemble the QD, open the faucet and flush them with hot water. Afterwards I reassemble the parts and hang them up to dry until next use. I keep a kegerator around to store kegs and may someday I'll use the thing as it was designed. But for convenience and portability a picnic setup on a 5 gal keg is the best way to go. I do however slip a homemade insulation jacket over the keg when held outside the fridge, but I never have a leakage issue and the jacket keeps the keg cool for hours, especially when I toss some ice on top while outside in the Florida heat. Works perfectly for me, but that SS one sure looks good. And it also appears to have a knurled cap making it easy to remove for cleaning.
IMG_20210609_200831071.jpg
IMG_20210601_175603868.jpg

LMAO, I have had commercial multi keg beer coolers, kegerators, converted refrigerators, picnic coolers etc, and after more than 30 years of brewing, I now prefer a simple picnic faucet with a short beer line. Yeah they are cheep, but they are easily cleanable and pour a perfect beer. I only drink a couple of brews when I drink so I remove and disassemble the QD, open the faucet and flush them with hot water. Afterwards I reassemble the parts and hang them up to dry until next use. I keep a kegerator around to store kegs and may someday I'll use the thing as it was designed. But for convenience and portability a picnic setup on a 5 gal keg is the best way to go. I do however slip a homemade insulation jacket over the keg when held outside the fridge, but I never have a leakage issue and the jacket keeps the keg cool for hours, especially when I toss some ice on top while outside in the Florida heat. Works perfectly for me, but that SS one sure looks good. And it also appears to have a knurled cap making it easy to remove for cleaning.View attachment 735593View attachment 735594

wouldn't it be cool if it was stainless though? the only thing better for me, would be a 1/4" flare fitting, so i can just pull and wash in the sink.....

wouldn't it be cool if it was stainless though? the only thing better for me, would be a 1/4" flare fitting, so i can just pull and wash in the sink.....
I definitely agree. I'll most definitely order a couple in the next day or so. And I like your thought of a flare end or some means to adapt a QC.

Because at this point you can just build a regular flow control tap like this.

you are so wrong! i can get sexy with a pour with my picnic taps! with both hands, pull the tap out a bit, tilt the glass a bit, just until it's pouring just right, perfect angle on both. i'd say i feel a tingling in the neither regions, but actualy it's my gut.....then it moves down!

And if the hand that poured was griping SS! 🤔 😇

you are so wrong! i can get sexy with a pour with my picnic taps! with both hands, pull the tap out a bit, tilt the glass a bit, just until it's pouring just right, perfect angle on both. i'd say i feel a tingling in the neither regions, but actualy it's my gut.....then it moves down!

And if the hand that poured was griping SS! 🤔 😇
I pictured something like that

Back