Why no higher end picnic taps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know the manufacturer and will transfer this idea to them,it should be simple to weld a threaded tailpiece
to the ss handheld picnic tap,maybe you guys will see it in the market soon

I wanna see the new taps hanging out of the fridge !

you obviously already have! ;) :mug:

I know the manufacturer and will transfer this idea to them,it should be simple to weld a threaded tailpiece
to the ss handheld picnic tap,maybe you guys will see it in the market soon

now i'll have to spend another $50! ;) (but it'll be a cinch to install them, being i already have the barbed ones kinda converted to a flare fitting :mug: )

didn't realize i haven't posted them in this thread...here was what i came up with for a work around to a flare nut for them....

1637353334378.png

(and i'm not really not HBT addict, i've just had to get creative on how to use the stickers ;))

edit: that way when a keg kicks they come off easy for a quick cleaning! :mug: (and i just cleaned that drip tray yesterday!)

You will have to spend more money:) As I know Torpedo mega mouth kegs will come in spring 2022,
there will be 5 gallon,6 gallon,7.75 gallon and 10 gallon. A hand can reach everywhere into the keg completely
and comfortably,this is very convenient to clean a keg:)

You will have to spend more money:) As I know Torpedo mega mouth kegs will come in spring 2022,
there will be 5 gallon,6 gallon,7.75 gallon and 10 gallon. A hand can reach everywhere into the keg completely

that'd be cool a 10 gallon keg, that i can clean with a dish rag and soapy water! i wonder if i'd be able to fit three of them in my fridge!

didn't realize i haven't posted them in this thread...here was what i came up with for a work around to a flare nut for them....

View attachment 749502

(and i'm not really not HBT addict, i've just had to get creative on how to use the stickers ;))

edit: that way when a keg kicks they come off easy for a quick cleaning! :mug: (and i just cleaned that drip tray yesterday!)
The grain stickers on the thumb levers are a nice touch 👍

Who hacked @bracconiere's account and is posting these clearly focused pictures????

Do you feel that that stainless taps have any functional advantage? I keep going back and forth about upgrading my setup to "real" taps. But then I load up a shopping cart with $350 worth of gear to add 4 taps...then I think I should upgrade to a kegerator to have more taps...and of course I need some secondary regulators...then the $1,200 price tag reminds me that my fridge and picnic tap setup has been working for me.

The biggest issue I have with picnic taps is that my friends have no clue how to pour a glass. They all think they should just squeeze a little to get a little beer, and it just blows foam. Also they seem intimidated to have to actually open the door, and I don't have a good setup to organize or label my picnic taps. Also, my setup does pour a bit too fast (I need to get longer lines), but I can pour a glass just fine. The "good news" is that I seldom have friends over to drink beer and that "problem" has just been amplified in the COVID era.

Do you feel that that stainless taps have any functional advantage?

no, they work exactly the same as the plastic ones...but the feel in the hand is worth the $50 i blew on the two of them...feeling the temperature of the beer while you're pouring a glass is kinda cool too! (no pun intended ;))

edit: and apparently a used camera that cost $500 in 2012, that goes for $30 now...is way better then a 'new' camera for the same price! battery life sucks, it only holds 32mb, but pictures are shrap....

These Pluto faucets work great. Available in both plastic and stainless.

Do they? I have been curious. I often see then used by sticking the end down into the beer. It seems like that would make them a pain to clean between each use. I could not see getting the $50 each stainless ones vs just drilling holes in my fridge for real taps, but I could see the cheaper ones (with EVABarrier lines) potentially being a worthwhile upgrade.

The Aussies used them for years – in the commercial sector i.e. bars
Yes,pluto gun was originally used in Australia for commercial use,in fact it is too big for home use:)
Damnit Australia. I thought I recognized the shape when it first appeared on the thread.

That's a stainless steel sheep dosing gun isn't it.

Or maybe they exist?

I've long wondered why the cheap plastic picnic taps are all that there is available in that type (not talking about getting regular taps or those ones that mount right to the ball lock). Yeah, they work and don't cause much trouble, but they also aren't ideal. For all of the weird gizmos and gadgets you can get for brewing and serving, many that seem useless or have a cheaper alternative.....why no high end picnic tap?

Or maybe they exist?

I've long wondered why the cheap plastic picnic taps are all that there is available in that type (not talking about getting regular taps or those ones that mount right to the ball lock). Yeah, they work and don't cause much trouble, but they also aren't ideal. For all of the weird gizmos and gadgets you can get for brewing and serving, many that seem useless or have a cheaper alternative.....why no high end picnic tap?
I hear you. I'm just trying to fine a mfl threaded one and they don't exist. They are all a barbed fitting.

As i know,The manufacturer is making samples of mfl threaded stainless steel picnic tap,then the samples will be
sent to Morebeer for test. After Morebeer confirm the samples are ok,then the first batch will be manufactured......
I estimate the first batch will appear here in March ,2022.

i'll plan my finances accordingly..... :mug:

The guy that makes items like FLOTit floating dip tube and SPUNDit spunding valve has a picnic tap (might be in beta testing now).

A reddit post:

Short video:

Trong sent me that video. He said he was going to send me one to try out. I have a party up north in January that I would like to use them for.

I told him to call it the PIKnik.

Any links to check them out? I got a 10G Torpedo last Christmas to use for pressurized fermentations. I'm very happy with it. Even though I have fairly meaty arms I can still reach all parts of the keg with a wee bit of squishing. Still, that 7.75 G has my attention.

Same with the flared stainless steel picnic tap,the manufacturer is making Torpedo mega keg samples,I estimate the samples can be tested and approved by Morebeer in this December,then the first batch will appear in March,2022:)

Same with the flared stainless steel picnic tap,the manufacturer is making Torpedo mega keg samples,I estimate the samples can be tested and approved by Morebeer in this December,then the first batch will appear in March,2022:)

guess i'll have to start saving more...mega mouth kegs sound awesome! hmm so like $120-150x6? going to have to tighten my belt for a while!

Stumbling into a nearly year long thread about picnic taps - thought I'd add this.

Here's what I put together for my daughter's wedding. We're homebrewers, we like to build things.

View attachment 750772

just make extra careful to not leave it out by the curb! ;) :mug:

If the 7.75 is in the $150-ish range, count me in.

As I know,Torpedo mega mouth kegs will have the same diameter with Sanke 1/4 slim keg:10.95” diameter.
about the height include handle,5 gallon :17.80",6 gallon :20.40" ,7.75 gallon :25",10 gallon : 29"
you may consider to leave enough space:)

As I know,Torpedo mega mouth kegs will have the same diameter with Sanke 1/4 slim keg:10.95” diameter.
about the height include handle,5 gallon :17.80",6 gallon :20.40" ,7.75 gallon :25",10 gallon : 29"
you may consider to leave enough space:)

you say you know them, do you work for them...i've got a stiffy thinking about a wide mouth keg, and want to wash my SS milk pail, and rush fermentation, to enjoy being able to wash it down with a wash cloth!!! be so cool to do the same with a keg! :mug:

The manufacturer is my friend,so I know some details about their products.
Of course,I also transfer some suggestions or ideas here to them:)

well i'm loving these SS picnic taps...but thread would be nice, but probably a niche thing.....and still loving the idea of a wide mouth keg... if i can scrub it down with a dish cloth, it'd pay for it's self in PBW costs QUICK!..... :mug:

Or maybe they exist?

I upgrade my picnic tap with a 3/8 stainless steel pipe. Perfect fit.
It's far from high-end, but at least I can fill the glass from the bottom.
Spring helps prevent hose from kinking

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-01 at 19.08.54.jpeg

Yes,pluto gun was originally used in Australia for commercial use,in fact it is too big for home use:)
Too big for home use? I have no idea what you mean by that. Works perfectly for me at home.

As for another comment about being hard to clean because they've seen people stick the tip in the beer... well... don't stick the tip in the beer. It's easy to clean, in any case.

Finally, regarding the complaints that it doesn't come in an MFL version, that's true, but if that's really a requirement, you can use a John Guest fitting, which is available in a wide variety of sizes.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=44208&catid=832
As for the stainless version, I can't comment on it, as my personal experience is with the plastic one. I assume the functionality is identical, but the barb is different.

Reviews on both these guns are excellent.

Back