Why does The Bruery rustle so many jimmies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
l1AmThB.jpg
JOw6yMk.gif

Ok, so I've never had problems with The Bruery previously, and am a Reserve Society Member, however I opened one of my 2 bottles of Filmishmish last night, and man was I disappointed. It poured like a syrupy, pulpy mess, weird (see: gross) carbonation, probably only got 6-8 ounces of semi-clear drinkable fluid, the rest was raw squeezed apricot pulp shampoo.

Considering me and my co-membership owner paid $50 for these 3 bottles (he bought 1, and his was a mess too), this is a bit of a let down. Previous batch was delicious, was saddened that this is what poured out. Hopefully they remedy the situation.

Below is photographic and video evidence:

4rzz.jpg

nwbf.jpg

pbdo.jpg

c9ja.jpg

k5v0.jpg

tp06.jpg

6vzi.jpg

fws5.jpg

eddie-whaaa.gif

Sooooo the other day I read what some noobs on the other site wrote about this beer and I kinda laughed it off as exaggerations. To actually see a pic of it tells a completely different story. I am all for the bruery loading up fruit in their fruit beers and i dont mind (prefer actually) them being unfiltered with some fruit maybe making its way into the bottle. But seriously...if this was me I would be ashamed of myself selling bottles of this.

A bottle of sour in the rye with peaches that I opened was similar to this but not nearly as bad. Yikes

The saga continues...

Sooooo the other day I read what some noobs on the other site wrote about this beer and I kinda laughed it off as exaggerations. To actually see a pic of it tells a completely different story. I am all for the bruery loading up fruit in their fruit beers and i dont mind (prefer actually) them being unfiltered with some fruit maybe making its way into the bottle. But seriously...if this was me I would be ashamed of myself selling bottles of this.

A bottle of sour in the rye with peaches that I opened was similar to this but not nearly as bad. Yikes

The saga continues...

I didn't buy any of that. Lucky me. Yuck

The saga continues...
Yeah, i definitely don't mind a bit of sediment and fruit residue, but considering the level of this production facility, I was pretty surprised that it was this bad.

Honestly, I have no idea how they couldn't have opened a bottle in this condition if they were testing QA/QC before these were sold, can anybody verify that their bottles were not in this condition?

Holy **** that Filmishmish looks like ass. We maxed out on our HS membership on these bottles too. Well, looks like I may have to cut back even more on spending money on the bruery, just like we did last time after the fiasco with their 4 or so bottles that sucked. I really like the bruery, but they are getting Lost Abbey bad with their coinflip releases.

Yeah, i definitely don't mind a bit of sediment and fruit residue, but considering the level of this production facility, I was pretty surprised that it was this bad.

Honestly, I have no idea how they couldn't have opened a bottle in this condition if they were testing QA/QC before these were sold, can anybody verify that their bottles were not in this condition?
Additionally, is this the first fruit beer release since they changed their "fruiting" process? Im wondering if this doesnt have something to do with the fact that they are treating fruit additions differently since the problems/refunds of last year.

I've only had a few fruited beers from The Bruery, but I thought Sans Pagaie, Bottleworks XII re-brew, and Oude Tart w/ Cherries were all fantastic.
Having had a broad assortment of Bruery fruited beers, this is very atypical of the quality you get from them. I can't think of a single one that I've personally tasted before that had the texture or consistency this one did.

Also, discussing this with a few others who have opened their Filmishmish from this year, this one seems to be one of the worst cases. Others have said that maybe 5-10 oz of their bottles had this level of sludge, but I can honestly say maybe 4-ounces, if left to settle, could even come close to the level of clarity that I had seen in the previous batch. The rest was pure fruit-mud.

This wasn't even like yeast sediment or anything, it's all fruit flesh.

Having had a broad assortment of Bruery fruited beers, this is very atypical of the quality you get from them. I can't think of a single one that I've personally tasted before that had the texture or consistency this one did.

Also, discussing this with a few others who have opened their Filmishmish from this year, this one seems to be one of the worst cases. Others have said that maybe 5-10 oz of their bottles had this level of sludge, but I can honestly say maybe 4-ounces, if left to settle, could even come close to the level of clarity that I had seen in the previous batch. The rest was pure fruit-mud.

This wasn't even like yeast sediment or anything, it's all fruit flesh.

Yeah looking at your pictures, I kept thinking that it reminded me of what the beer looks like when I keg up one of my homebrew mango-habanero saisons: comes out of the auto-siphon looking exactly like that but the fruit gets strained out in a filter before the beer goes into the keg.

Sounds like the switching of fruit additions in secondary to boil kettle removed the risk of wild contamination but created the worst case of pectin haze ever. Or maybe some of these fills are litterally pulled from the bottom of barrel/tank.

Fom a brewing standpoint, im anxious to read a reply/explanation.

Sounds like the switching of fruit additions in secondary to boil kettle removed the risk of wild contamination but created the worst case of pectin haze ever. Or maybe some of these fills are litterally pulled from the bottom of barrel/tank.

Why would you do brew kettle additions for a sour? I would think wild contamination would be part of the point...

Considering the pulp left on the rim on my glass after pouring out, I'd think it was residual fruit fibers that just were never properly filtered out.

Why would you do brew kettle additions for a sour? I would think wild contamination would be part of the point...
Disregard my comments. I was not accurately recalling the details they released in their "cleaning the slate" blog post. Evidently the boiling of fruit purees is only for their clean beers...which for some reason I am drawing a blank on even being able to name any?

Considering the pulp left on the rim on my glass after pouring out, I'd think it was residual fruit fibers that just were never properly filtered out.
Yea, it sure looks that way. It might just be a case of some bottles being way worse than others depending on whether they were filled at the start of bottling or towards the end.

Yea, it sure looks that way. It might just be a case of some bottles being way worse than others depending on whether they were filled at the start of bottling or towards the end.
That was my thought as well, due to the variation of levels of sludge.

Well damn... I was really anxious for Filmishmish as well, and went pretty hard on my allotment...

Disregard my comments. I was not accurately recalling the details they released in their "cleaning the slate" blog post. Evidently the boiling of fruit purees is only for their clean beers...which for some reason I am drawing a blank on even being able to name any?

They haven't done many clean fruit beers over the years, but they did the peach old ale last year, which was infected and recalled. Autumn Maple, also.

Ok, so I've never had problems with The Bruery previously, and am a Reserve Society Member, however I opened one of my 2 bottles of Filmishmish last night, and man was I disappointed. It poured like a syrupy, pulpy mess, weird (see: gross) carbonation, probably only got 6-8 ounces of semi-clear drinkable fluid, the rest was raw squeezed apricot pulp shampoo.

Considering me and my co-membership owner paid $50 for these 3 bottles (he bought 1, and his was a mess too), this is a bit of a let down. Previous batch was delicious, was saddened that this is what poured out. Hopefully they address the problems.

4rzz.jpg

nwbf.jpg

pbdo.jpg

c9ja.jpg

k5v0.jpg

tp06.jpg

6vzi.jpg

fws5.jpg

Problem is that you poured from a lambic cradle. The pressure of properly filling that vessel caused the beer to cave on itself.

Considering me and my co-membership owner paid $50 for these 3 bottles (he bought 1, and his was a mess too), this is a bit of a let down. Previous batch was delicious, was saddened that this is what poured out. Hopefully they address the problems.

fws5.jpg

holy hell. i sure hope the one bottle i have coming isn't like that.

It's too bad there's no one in the next generation of the Bush clan named Harry.
I could make it happen, same sex marriage is legal here. Just make certain my local Craigslist has a super sexy ad.

Also, I'm not against taking the woman's last name, so cross post to M4F from the M4M. Thanks!

4rzz.jpg

nwbf.jpg

pbdo.jpg

c9ja.jpg

k5v0.jpg

tp06.jpg

6vzi.jpg

fws5.jpg

Wait....you're white?!

4rzz.jpg

nwbf.jpg

pbdo.jpg

c9ja.jpg

k5v0.jpg

tp06.jpg

6vzi.jpg

fws5.jpg

So did it taste anything like last years? I can't be the only gross muther****er who thinks that looks good. Doesn't look like a beer, but if it tastes alright I would drink the **** out of that.

I can see it now...

The Bruery. Now with more fiber!

i got a bottlewerkz im gonna crack soon, my bro tossed it to me today

is it guuuuuuuuuuuud or should i just go cry in a corner now and get it over with :(

is it guuuuuuuuuuuud or should i just go cry in a corner now and get it over with :(

You should just drink it and decide for yourself, you don't need dudes on the internet to tell you what you like and what you don't like.

So did it taste anything like last years? I can't be the only gross muther****er who thinks that looks good. Doesn't look like a beer, but if it tastes alright I would drink the **** out of that.

I can see it now...

The Bruery. Now with more fiber!
It did not. Very little sour/tartness, sweeter than it should have been.

Funnily enough, I happened to be doing a little unpacking last night and found a bottle of B1, and checked my other bottle of this batch. Visually, my other fresh bottle looks to be about as ****ed as this one was, so maybe a little side-by-side is in order?

Damn, I have 3 of these coming. Thanks for the heads up. Already got in contact with the RS member who's having them sent. Gonna check them before they leave Cali. Was really looking forward to these.

I was not a big fan of bottleworks B2 the first time i had it. It had a strong witbier presence going on with cloves and yeasty spice that really clashed with the tartness and raspberries. However, drank a bottle last weekend again and was pleasantly surprised to see the prgression into a realm that is much more cohesive and drinkable. The wit aspect is fading and dem der raspberries are as bright as ever.

I was not a big fan of bottleworks B2 the first time i had it. It had a strong witbier presence going on with cloves and yeasty spice that really clashed with the tartness and raspberries. However, drank a bottle last weekend again and was pleasantly surprised to see the prgression into a realm that is much more cohesive and drinkable. The wit aspect is fading and dem der raspberries are as bright as ever.
Had a bottle a couple months ago. I would not have been able to identify it as a wit at all. As you said, lots of raspberry flavors, and pretty tart. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Looks like my friends had this years Filmishmish last night, and said it was fantastic, with no bottle issues. Looks like it may be a variation issue, so some great bottles are out there. It's a coinflip.

Latest posts

Back