Why does The Bruery rustle so many jimmies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reserve societies are cool, but it does annoy me a bit to go to a brewery, see some beer on tap, and not be able to order it because I didn't pay several hundred dollars. I understand getting exclusive bottles, but to then put it on tap and not let anyone except members taste it, kinda sucks. Maybe hide the taps? Maybe I should just...

rustled-full-on.png
Are you a cop, bro? You gotta tell me if you're a cop.
257991377-jimmie.jpg

I get that people don't like the idea of $4$ with the discount, and I split an HS with a buddy. The truth of the matter is, we have a trustee in CA that we send beers to, we have to buy shippers, we pay tax on the beer, and we have to pay for shipping to get the beers to TX. So, I don't feel bad at all saying the normal price tag is where these beers sit. As a number of people mentioned though, if your only concern in a trade is $4$, it really should be for local shelf, or you're doing it wrong.

I scanned the thread and didn't see this -- most of the rustle I see about reserve societies comes from people in the societies, not outside.

I remember the inane BA threads where people complained bottle runs were too large so trade value was going down; not enough members-only growler fills / perks; too many sweatshirts. Other things I'm forgetting. Judging by some of the above comments, it annoys people to see those reserve-only taps / fills in the taproom. You really can't please everyone.

Cigar City is the same way -- look at the complaints about DB Hunaphu's being sold to the unwashed plebes.

HF Collected Works -- people complained about being forced to buy wooden crates.

I haven't heard any complaints about Jackie O's STAPH, but I don't talk to any people in it.

I don't like the Bruery's beer or their prices, so I don't buy them. But the societies don't bother me. I split a membership one year and thought it was a terrible value, so I didn't rejoin. That being said, I think Patrick Rue's a hell of a businessman, and I admire how quickly / efficiently he has expanded. At the time when he started the RS, Lost Abbey had just come off the flaming wreckage of Saints & Sinners, and I remember people thinking the club model had been conclusively demonstrated as non-viable for beer. Rue proved them wrong.

In short, I think people in the societies complain the loudest.

The rustle memes are absolutely cracking me up.

There's a lot of truth to this, although I'd say I've seen more of it with the Cigar City El Catador Club than with the Bruery Reserve Society. Maybe it's just selection bias, but I still don't think it's as prevalent as stuff like "why do Californians insist on getting even money in trades for their overpriced beers?" complaining or "why are you in the Reserve Society when you could just order lambic from Belgium?" lecturing.

There's a lot of truth to this, although I'd say I've seen more of it with the Cigar City El Catador Club than with the Bruery Reserve Society. Maybe it's just selection bias, but I still don't think it's as prevalent as stuff like "why do Californians insist on getting even money in trades for their overpriced beers?" complaining or "why are you in the Reserve Society when you could just order lambic from Belgium?" lecturing.
Talk about breweries with infection issues! No idea why people keep buying infected as lambics. 100% infection rate and people still send them money.

In 2000? I was 9

:D
How rustlefied would the jimms be if Bruery opened up a separate lounge for the society members to pick up their allotments while having access to special handles and one offs? Playing the music they wanna hear and watching the sports games of their choice. Private glasses, dart league, etc.:confused:

How rustlefied would the jimms be if Bruery opened up a separate lounge for the society members to pick up their allotments while having access to special handles and one offs? Playing the music they wanna hear and watching the sports games of their choice. Private glasses, dart league, etc.:confused:

It would have to be elevated from the regular taproom so that the RS remembers could spit on the plebs.

So it's a more transitive phrase than "jimmies rustled"?

E.g.: "Ha, touched yo balls foo." (the implied subject "I" touching another's [object] balls) vs. "Looks like someone's jimmies are all rustled over here," where one's jimmies needn't an outside subject to do the rustling?
It's uses are limitless. Hence the beauty of it.

So it's a more transitive phrase than "jimmies rustled"?

E.g.: "Ha, touched yo balls foo." (the implied subject "I" touching another's [object] balls) vs. "Looks like someone's jimmies are all rustled over here," where one's jimmies needn't an outside subject to do the rustling?

I didn't think that far ahead -- I was using it to characterize Rob Lowe's attempted reverse psychology when people ripped apart his shitty trade offers.

If anyone doesn't like it, well...

17053787-cupped-hands-of-young-woman.jpg

...Touched your balls, fool.

Ok, so I've never had problems with The Bruery previously, and am a Reserve Society Member, however I opened one of my 2 bottles of Filmishmish last night, and man was I disappointed. It poured like a syrupy, pulpy mess, weird (see: gross) carbonation, probably only got 6-8 ounces of semi-clear drinkable fluid, the rest was raw squeezed apricot pulp shampoo.

Considering me and my co-membership owner paid $50 for these 3 bottles (he bought 1, and his was a mess too), this is a bit of a let down. Previous batch was delicious, was saddened that this is what poured out. Hopefully they address the problems.

Below is photographic and video evidence:

4rzz.jpg

nwbf.jpg

pbdo.jpg

c9ja.jpg

k5v0.jpg

tp06.jpg

6vzi.jpg

fws5.jpg

Last edited:
Holy ****?! Honestly, it looks tasty (if you could even get it in your mouth), but clearly not a bottle of beer... wtf?

i guess they hooked the beer line to the wrong end of the new centrifuge system?

I'm guessing you didn't roll it down 4-5 flights of stairs or get on a trampoline with it for 9 hours or something?
weird man, i've never seen anything like that!

Holy ****?! Honestly, it looks tasty (if you could even get it in your mouth), but clearly not a bottle of beer... wtf?

i guess they hooked the beer line to the wrong end of the new centrifuge system?

I'm guessing you didn't roll it down 4-5 flights of stairs or get on a trampoline with it for 9 hours or something?
weird man, i've never seen anything like that!
Rested in my fridge overnight on it's side in that lambic cradle. Total mess.

jesus... can you tell if your other bottle is similar? what a shitty deal, i was really looking forward to it

jesus... can you tell if your other bottle is similar? what a shitty deal, i was really looking forward to it
I haven't checked, but it would be pretty easy to tell from looking at it held up to the light.

I wish I had taken this photo with a better camera, but this was when I drank last batch fresh. No chunks

a1dc34cd3b6291bf5671f9d2a2f44dd8_640x640.jpg

Back