Why All The Procrastination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betarhoalphadelta

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering about this... And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I like beer. Obviously. I like brewing beer. I like drinking beer. And kegging is such an easy process that getting the beer that I've brewed into the keg it's going to be served from should be done quickly, especially with my current batch, an IPA.

So why do I procrastinate from kegging my beer? After all, the hard work is done. All I need to do is push it (using CO2 pressure, even easier!) from my fermenter into my kegs. That's 10 gallons of beer that's just sitting there waiting for me to drink it, and I can't get myself off the couch to do it.

Anyone else have this problem?

In all seriousness, you're not alone. I think part of my problem is I can talk/read about beer as much as I can brew it or drink it. I love this website, but at the same time, the time I do spend here could probably be better utilized in doing a brew day or other brew related projects getting done.

A few reasons why I delay kegging even though I know the beer has reached final gravity:
1. I have to get the keg ready -- check it, re-clean it if necessary, sanitize it, check that the lid and posts seal properly, use keg lube if needed.
2. check, clean and sanitize the transfer hose.
3. Once the transfer is complete, make sure the keg is purged and not leaking
4.**** the biggie -- I now have a dirty fermenter to clean and sanitize. Since its a conical, I have many parts to disassemble, clean, sanitize, re-assemble and leak test.

If I'm in the mood, it's no problem to motivate and get it done and feels great when the fermenter is clean and put away with a new keg of beer waiting for me. However, when I'm not in the mood, I just rationalize that the yeast still needs more time in primary to clean up.

I'm the same way. I have "more important" things going on right after work. I'll do the beer stuff later in the evening when it's time to relax.

By that time I've poured a beer or two and feeling like just relaxing and not doing the beer stuff.

Best if I get to doing what I got to do before drinking beer. Something about it, even just the first few sips, makes me lazy.

Do what you have to do first, and make drinking a beer the reward for your efforts!

By that time I've poured a beer or two and feeling like just relaxing and not doing the beer stuff.

Best if I get to doing what I got to do before drinking beer. Something about it, even just the first few sips, makes me lazy.

Do what you have to do first, and make drinking a beer the reward for your efforts!

Yeah, that's most likely it. Especially when I have the kids. I'll crack a beer as they're starting bedtime. By the time they're asleep, my motivation has gone away lol.

I'm not so bad with beer. I want to drink it, so I have to move it to a keg or two.

But wine is different. I have no idea why I still have 4 carboys of apple wine from 2013 behind the chair in the living room. Oh, I mean I know it's because I don't feel like moving it. But it's been there for nearly 3 years so I probably should do something about that.

Then, I can move the carboys from 2014 and 2015 behind that chair I guess.................

I think about getting the keg, taking it to the kitchen to clean and sanitize. Then I think about getting a gravity sample, cleaning and sanitizing my Autosiphon. Then I think about cleaning the Autosiphon, thief etc. after transfer. Then I think about sealing and pressurizing the keg. Then I think about cleaning the fermenter. Then I think about putting every thing away. So I put it off.

The worst procrastination was 2 kegged beers that seemed stalled at about 1.022 and sweet. They sat in the basement for about 11 months while I tried to decide what to do with them. I finally took another sample of each and they had both dropped to 1.008 and tasted good. I pressurized the Brown Ale, dry hopped the pale ale and waited. They are both good.

Geez, bunch'a lazy bums round here....I have not yet kegged a batch of beer but I've bottle more than a few....My current batch is going in the keg the minute it's ready. No procrastinating here, all I gotta do to get motivated I think about what I'd have to go thru to bottle it!

I have over a dozen fermenters. I have more empty kegs than empty fermenters. Yet I'll keg beer when I'm almost out of beer on tap, and never any sooner.

3 taps. And some will go dry because I can't be bothered to keg more. I'm usually pretty good about not letting all three go dry, however. I'll usually get something on gas just in time.

I'm not so bad with beer. I want to drink it, so I have to move it to a keg or two.

But wine is different. I have no idea why I still have 4 carboys of apple wine from 2013 behind the chair in the living room. Oh, I mean I know it's because I don't feel like moving it. But it's been there for nearly 3 years so I probably should do something about that.

Then, I can move the carboys from 2014 and 2015 behind that chair I guess.................

So funny you say that. I have 2 carboys of wine I need to bottle that have been "aging."

Well, I'm going to get off my lazy butt and brew tomorrow.

I don't want to, though. It's so much work. I need a brew slave to do all the heavy work and sanitizing and then clean up. I like doing the water design, the recipe formulation, and drinking the beer. That's all I want to do.

I'm doing a NE style APA, with tons of late hops. US two-row and flaked oats, and boatloads of late hops with conan yeast.

I'm going to crush the grain tonight. No, probably not. I'll do it tomorrow.

I attempt to brew a five gallon batch once a week
And take weeks off for vacation plans etc. so I brew prolly 3 outta four weeks
I do have two batches cold crashed for almost two weeks now that I haven't kegged one is a stout and I don't like stouts.
The other one is where the procrastination kicks in
Tomorrow it is

Since I got the man cave/brewery air conditioned, I no longer have that excuse not to brew, bottle, etc. Save for the fact that my hips are shot & my L2 disc hates the F*** outta me for making it do it's share all these years. Lazy lil prick. He complains he's stiff in the morning, & needs pills & strong coffee first. I have the same old argument with the lazy lil prick every day. Need to motivate his lazy proboscus into bottling the Mumme, which should be ready soon if not now. Then get the hybrid lager going...

Got the hose clamps to add to the CO2 lines yesterday.

Just didn't get around to hooking the line up and putting the Marzen in the kegerator.

Maybe tonight.

Y'all are procrastinating wrong. You're supposed to keg the beer so you can drink it while you procrastinate cleaning the fermenters. I kegged three batches several days ago and the carboys are still sitting full of oxyclean.

When I get a round tuit, I'll have to clean them again to get the residue off. Beers on tap, though.

That's why I am starting to have my older sons come by during kegging day so I can train them. They love to drink the beer I make, so I figure might as well get some return right. This way if I train them correctly, I can do the kegging and they can clean and sanitize the fermentor! We'll see how it works out!

John

Well, I'm going to get off my lazy butt and brew tomorrow.

I don't want to, though. It's so much work. I need a brew slave to do all the heavy work and sanitizing and then clean up. I like doing the water design, the recipe formulation, and drinking the beer. That's all I want to do.

I'm doing a NE style APA, with tons of late hops. US two-row and flaked oats, and boatloads of late hops with conan yeast.

I'm going to crush the grain tonight. No, probably not. I'll do it tomorrow.

I changed my mind. I can't brew today. I'm busy. I'll get to it, maybe Monday. Not today or tomorrow for sure.

Iv owed m00ps a box of beer for months now...I keep procrastinaing sending it because I keep saying, no this or that beer is not good enough to send... I'll make a better one..in the mean time the first IPA's are going stale so I will have to redo those now...........................some day.......................Its a vicious circle.

Sorry m00ps, I'm a louse....................................but someday, you just hang in there bud. ;)

OH PS: were leaving sailing for a month this Monday so it will be a little while longer yet...:mug:

My worst is not cleaning the mash tun. Last time I left it for about 5 days with manky nasty wet grain in it. By the time I got to cleaning it out, I was coming out of the house with another garbage bag to find Young Dog rolling in the first bag. So dog bath AND mash tun bath. Also washing bottles. Everything else I'm happy to wash up and put away for another day, but those darn bottles.....

Well, didn't get CO2 hose attached last night. I DID stop on the way home from St. Johns to visit Four Leaf Brewing in Clare. Some things just don't lend themselves to procrastination.

Didn't get around to hooking up the third gas line in my kegerator.

I did manage to connect one of the two that are in there to the Marzen and Watermelon Wheat to get them carbed up.

So... Kudos to me!

I have had this issue as well, and usually its b/c I have to go get all the stuff out...carry the heavy arse beer to my kitchen, sanitize everything..it can become a full on job sometimes. Yet other times I love it.

My new 2-tap tower is arriving tomorrow. Already got the manifold and the extra C02 line. Waiting until the whole setup is here to install....maybe. Oh look, something shiny....

I kegged that beer that cold crashed for 4 or so weeks
Now there's a stout in a Carboy for about 2 months
I also added a second round of dry hops to my iipa and brewed
I'm spent

Latest posts

Back