What would you do? Keg transfer help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxhambrewshed

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was in the middle of transferring my latest batch of Scotch ale to a keg when my C02 tank ran empty! So much for the 100% closed transfer and process. Well, procrastination never helps, because I checked my backup 5lb C02 tank ..empty!!
There is no way for me to get more before Monday or Tuesday. The pressure release was open on my keg, so there is probably 02 in already. 😫 what should I do? Continue the transfer by gravity allowing 02 in the top of my fermenter or store everything the way it is until I get more C02?

Attachments

• 20240113_125527.jpg
    20240113_125527.jpg
    848.8 KB · Views: 0
I was in the middle of transferring my latest batch of Scotch ale to a keg when my C02 tank ran empty! So much for the 100% closed transfer and process. Well, procrastination never helps, because I checked my backup 5lb C02 tank ..empty!!
There is no way for me to get more before Monday or Tuesday. The pressure release was open on my keg, so there is probably 02 in already. 😫 what should I do? Continue the transfer by gravity allowing 02 in the top of my fermenter or store everything the way it is until I get more C02?
If you have a hose with two gas disconnects you could jumper from the keg gas post to the gas post on the fermenter. This only helps of course if the keg was purged and the airspace is co2.

If you have a hose with two gas disconnects you could jumper from the keg gas post to the gas post on the fermenter. This only helps of course if the keg was purged and the airspace is co2.
Sorry, now I understand. You would be essentially replacing one headspace with the other.👍 I'm afraid by leaving the pressure release on the keg open, there is a good chance 02 got in the headspace of the keg.

Looks like you are stuck until you get more gas or put some oxygen in to make the transfer complete, Use this time as a reminder to start spunding to naturally carb your beer. You are already hooked up for purging. If your fermenter can not handle pressure, then just closed transfer the beer with 3-5 gravity points remaining into the keg. The beer finished out in the keg and carbonates as well. Way less CO2 used which is good because it has gone up in price for sure.

Looks like you are stuck until you get more gas or put some oxygen in to make the transfer complete, Use this time as a reminder to start spunding to naturally carb your beer. You are already hooked up for purging. If your fermenter can not handle pressure, then just closed transfer the beer with 3-5 gravity points remaining into the keg. The beer finished out in the keg and carbonates as well. Way less CO2 used which is good because it has gone up in price for sure.
Yes it has, like everything else!😏
For sure, spunding sounds like a great way to avoid a lot of problems. Thanks guys.

I don't pressure transfer, my fermenters can't handle it. I use gravity like above, but run a line from the keg back up to the fermenter so as the keg fills the displaced co2 in the keg flows back to the fermenter. Slow, about 15-20 minutes, but closed.

Last edited:
I don't pressure transfer, my fermenters can't handle it. I use gravity like above, but run a line from the keg back up to the fermenter so as the keg fills the displaced co2 in the keg flows back to the fermenter. Slow, about 15-20 minutes, but closed.
I will naturally carbonate this time, but I am definitely using this method for the future.
Thanks again guys!

Back