Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long is red meat good for, uncooked but refrigerated? I bought a bison tri-tip last Sunday and was gonna smoke it but time got away from me. Am I still good to smoke it tonight? Or is it probably not good at this point?

I think that's pushing the envelope, but I'd smell it and see if it has any kind of slimy feel to it - if so I'd dump it. If not I'd cook it! If it has been vacuum-sealed it's more likely to be OK - if in regular wrap I'd be suspicious of it.

I think that's pushing the envelope, but I'd smell it and see if it has any kind of slimy feel to it - if so I'd dump it. If not I'd cook it! If it has been vacuum-sealed it's more likely to be OK - if in regular wrap I'd be suspicious of it.

Ya that's what I was thinking and worried about. Luckily it was fairly small but I'm still not happy about it. I blame work for the delay. I feel like my boss owes me a new steak

My favorite mantra about suspect food is "when in doubt, throw it out" cuz it sure as hell isn't worth getting sick over! :) If you even THINK it smells or feels "off" don't take a chance with it. Food poisoning is so not fun.

MMMMM I love this man of mine! Pork ribs, actually they're double stacked, three full racks. Salad and some good beans, and Homebrew!!!!

June ribs 2017.jpg

My favorite mantra about suspect food is "when in doubt, throw it out" cuz it sure as hell isn't worth getting sick over! :) If you even THINK it smells or feels "off" don't take a chance with it. Food poisoning is so not fun.

Just gotta cook it to a higher internal temp*!

:eek:

I have my limits though. For a big cut like tri tip i'd probably trim the outside gray parts off first . I'd also cook it to well done (i used to braise them and make a pulled beef). Definitely wouldn't grill to medium or medium rare.

* This may not be sound advice in all cases.

If it smells funky, I just can't. Might be fine, but it grosses me out.

Looks really good! Did you use a jerky cannon/ground beef for that? Would love your recipe - KOTC's dentist told him not to eat regular jerky cuz it's too hard on his jaw joints, so we make it from ground meat. It's some good stuff!

Yep, I used the LEM Jerky Cannon, can't recommend it enough. The tube holds about 1.5 pounds of meat, so doing 5 pounds meant loading it a few times. The first time loading it, and the first jerky stick you squeeze out takes a second to get the hang of it, but then it's smooth sailing after that.

They include a couple of different packets of jerky seasoning with the kit. I just used one of those and followed the directions. Basically dissolve the seasoning/cure in a little water, mix everything together, leave in your fridge overnight.

I put it on my Rec-Tec for 4 hours @ 180F with the "extreme" smoke option on.

Looks really good! Did you use a jerky cannon/ground beef for that? Would love your recipe - KOTC's dentist told him not to eat regular jerky cuz it's too hard on his jaw joints, so we make it from ground meat. It's some good stuff!

I use cure salt (Prague powder, pink salt, cure 4), especially for ground meats, but I have never seen jerky last over two weeks so probably don't need it. I would make sure the ground meat was definitely finished and store in fridge. Those cure packets like nesco, contain sodium nitrite if i am correct. As for recipes, i like brown sugar, soy, garlic type recipes but you could just coat with black pepper, your imagination is the limit and great recipes are plentiful. I love charcuterie. Since you are ingesting the sodium nitrite it is a very very small amount that goes in it. I have posted sodium nitrite guides before, but I will look for it again.

I use cure salt (Prague powder, pink salt, cure 4), especially for ground meats, but I have never seen jerky last over two weeks so probably don't need it. I would make sure the ground meat was definitely finished and store in fridge. Those cure packets like nesco, contain sodium nitrite if i am correct. As for recipes, i like brown sugar, soy, garlic type recipes but you could just coat with black pepper, your imagination is the limit and great recipes are plentiful. I love charcuterie. Since you are ingesting the sodium nitrite it is a very very small amount that goes in it. I have posted sodium nitrite guides before, but I will look for it again.

Yeah, the seasoning packets I mentioned come with another pack of Sodium Nitrite which is pre-measured to cure 5 lbs of meat.

Prague Powder, pink salt cure # whatever they are all the same : salt and Sodium Nitrite. So in essence you are just making your own "cure packet" at home with your own preferred spices and Prague Powder.

Need some advice. Wife's family is coming over for lunch this Saturday. We're doing sandwiches and I wanted to smoke something. Suggestions?

Need some advice. Wife's family is coming over for lunch this Saturday. We're doing sandwiches and I wanted to smoke something. Suggestions?
Are you thinking brunch-ish? I would go with a fatty stuffed with tater tots. If more lunch, then google up third eye's pastrami.

Even though the internal temp was 191°F last night, it just did NOT want to be pulled. So, I let it sit on the stove top overnight, turned the roast over and put it back in the oven at 275°F for two hours. Then, finally, it cooperated and pulled easily. I added back in about 3/4 cup of the juices, and also put in a bit of Baby Ray's Honey Barbeque Sauce. It turned out tender and VERY delicious.

Sounds like you didn't give it a long enough cook time for the muscle fibers to break down

Ya probably more lunchish. I was thinking pastrami. Never done it. Could be fun haha

You'll wow 'em if you tell them you made the pastrami! It's easy to make it and it always turns out well for us. I start with storebought corned beef brisket flats, rub with a pastrami rub (there are lots of them on the Net if you do a search), let sit overnight in the fridge, then smoke over oakwood 3 hours, then finish in the roaster oven til it's up to 195 to 200*. Chill, slice thinly. Really good stuff!

Off work today so a brisket point is smoking away on the kettle. I'm trying the "fuse method" for the first time where charcoal and wood are strung along the perimeter of the kettle then hot coals are added to one end to start the "fuse". Gotta be careful to rotate the grill and lid vent as the hot point moves along the perimeter to keep the meat on the opposite side. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out... hoping I can get about 10-12 hours out of it at 225. Also trying out my new wireless maverick thermo today.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1497622405.377552.jpg

My COSTCO does not sell brisket. But Wally World and Kroger sells packers and they're both closer so...

Back