Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_3947.JPG
first try at pork. 4#, cooked at 225 for 4 hours.
Wrapped at 160f.
Pulled off at 190f and let sit.
I was following instruction I found on line.
Came out dry!
Will have to try again

View attachment 639517
Chicken thighs. Trying out 2 new rubs.
Preparing for my first 4# pork shoulder tomorrow. Should be a fun adventure.

Side question- anyone ever throw their beer soaked oak in the smoker?
I had some Hungarian oak that soaked in bourbon then stout. Not sure if this is a good idea?
Sounds like a good idea. Hope you let us know how it turned out. Also hope you update on rub results. Awesome experimenting and I like all the indirect grilling you do. Looks great.

Venison jerky from backstraps smoked yesterday. Marinated overnight in soy, teriyaki, liquid smoke, worcestershire, maple syrup, brown sugar, honey, black pepper, sea salt, cayenne and red pepper flakes. Hence, I refer to it as the "kitchen sink" marinade.

Yum!!!

View attachment 639711
Sounds awseome. How did the smoke go? Any tips on temps or jerky in general? Thanks man, appreciate it.

@bwarbiany man those look good. How did the higher temp go? Was curious about how long they took, couldn't remember if it was 4 or 6 hours at that temp.

Sounds awseome. How did the smoke go? Any tips on temps or jerky in general? Thanks man, appreciate it.

I have a Masterbuilt 40 electric smoker which I set at 200 degrees for two hours with hickory chips. I use beef flank steak or venison back straps for jerky and follow this marinade recipe with an overnight soak:

5 lbs beef flank steak (or venison back strap, just ensure you trim the fat)

@bwarbiany man those look good. How did the higher temp go? Was curious about how long they took, couldn't remember if it was 4 or 6 hours at that temp.

I put them on at 7 AM, and pulled them off (if I remember correctly) a little before 2 PM. Temp was probably closer to 300-325 for most of the cook. I didn't wrap/crutch them at any point.

I've done turbo butts before. In general it sometimes leads to the bark having a different texture than doing it truly low and slow, but not in a bad way--just different. The inside turns out just as shreddable and delicious as always.

We had 12 adults and 9 kids, and I fed everyone off just one of the butts. Now I've got about 11-12 packages of pulled pork in the freezer for future meals.

I usually smoke with my electric analog smoke hollow 26" smoker. My co-worker bought a digital masterbuilt 30" a few months ago but his family doesn't care for smoked food (poor guy) so he is selling his to me for $60 since I've always wanted a digital controller and hate the analog. Going to break it in this weekend!

I usually smoke with my electric analog smoke hollow 26" smoker. My co-worker bought a digital masterbuilt 30" a few months ago but his family doesn't care for smoked food (poor guy) so he is selling his to me for $60 since I've always wanted a digital controller and hate the analog. Going to break it in this weekend!
Sounds like you hit paydirt. Feel sorry for your friend’s family, they don’t what they are missing.

Costco was out of whole packers yesterday, and only had flats. I offered last week to smoke a brisket for a get-together with my in-laws, so I needed to make do with what I could. Bought one flat, and I had another left over from using the point of a packer for burger grind. Slathered with sriracha to get the rub to adhere, then rubbed with 50/50 dalmation rub with about 2 teaspoons of ancho/chipotle chile powder mixed in.

Waiting for these to hit the stall and the bark to develop nicely, then I'll crutch them. I want them very juicy when I slice.

While I'd rather have had a full packer, at least the benefit of this is that I could start them at 7 AM instead this morning of midnight last night...

67586053_209732133344334_4097451463640076214_n.jpg

I can't stand when people don't take care of their knives. I took the brisket to my sister in law's house last night. I thought beforehand "I should bring my slicing knife", but thought that might be rude.

When it comes time to slice, she hands me a chef's knife and a honing steel with a "you're gonna need that" look in her eye. No, what I needed was an hour with my whetstones.

The steel did nothing. It was like trying to slice brisket with a butter knife.

C'mon, people, sharpen your damn knives!

I can't stand when people don't take care of their knives. I took the brisket to my sister in law's house last night. I thought beforehand "I should bring my slicing knife", but thought that might be rude.

When it comes time to slice, she hands me a chef's knife and a honing steel with a "you're gonna need that" look in her eye. No, what I needed was an hour with my whetstones.

The steel did nothing. It was like trying to slice brisket with a butter knife.

C'mon, people, sharpen your damn knives!

I hear you, that’s a terrible thing to do. I guess a lot of people think that is not on the top of the list to take care of. I have decent knives and keep them in shape. My BIL is a chef and it doesn’t bother him to bring his fancy knives over.

I hear you, that’s a terrible thing to do. I guess a lot of people think that is not on the top of the list to take care of. I have decent knives and keep them in shape. My BIL is a chef and it doesn’t bother him to bring his fancy knives over.

I don't even have "great" knives. I've got Victorinox with the Fibrox handles. When I bought them, it was while getting divorced and furnishing a house fresh, so I didn't want to break the bank. But as long as they're maintained, they're sharp af.

I sharpp end a set for SWMBO 5 years ago. Every time the get used by me they go on the steel. Still sharp now so what's the problem with all these people not being able to take of their knives?
As for my newest ones....
IMG_20190719_105938.jpg
These should stay sharp for a while.

I thought beforehand "I should bring my slicing knife", but thought that might be rude.
I take my own knives. No shame here. I know I almost always get asked to carve. When I flew a cross the country, I ordered a cheap-ish 1000/6000 whetstone and had it delivered to my Sil's placeand sharpened the knives. Still cheap knives, but they had a good enough edge after I got done. 1st time they saw a tomato get sliced without being smashed.

I don't even have "great" knives. I've got Victorinox with the Fibrox handles. When I bought them, it was while getting divorced and furnishing a house fresh, so I didn't want to break the bank. But as long as they're maintained, they're sharp af.

It is funny the knives that some people have. My peeve is when they only have short paring knives.

I take my own knives. No shame here. I know I almost always get asked to carve. When I flew a cross the country, I ordered a cheap-ish 1000/6000 whetstone and had it delivered to my Sil's placeand sharpened the knives. Still cheap knives, but they had a good enough edge after I got done. 1st time they saw a tomato get sliced without being smashed.

I've just recently been teaching my eldest (he just turned 12) some knife skills. Even with a freshly-sharpened knife, he was still trying to press through tomatoes rather than slice through--he wasn't mastering the rocking motion. When I showed him how you can slice right through a tomato with basically ZERO pressure with the right motion, he was floored.

BTW I've been teaching him knife skills by making him make salsa. It gets him dicing tomato and onion, mincing garlic, and fine-dicing jalapeno. All the important skills, and at the end of it we get salsa. Everyone loves salsa!

It is funny the knives that some people have. My peeve is when they only have short paring knives.

The knife that I'm surprised isn't more popular is what I refer to as a "utility knife", although I don't know there's a consistent convention on what to call it. Essentially it'll be a 5-6" blade between the 8" chef's knife and the 3 1/2" paring knife. Useful for so many quick jobs.

The one I lost in the knife set that the ex took was this: https://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Classic-6-Inch-Utility-Knife/dp/B00005MEGT/
I replaced it with this: https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Inch-Fibrox-Chefs-Knife/dp/B0000CFDD5/

An intermediate knife in this range just seems so incredibly useful, but it seems to be a forgotten form factor...

Learn to use a whetstone instead of sharpening steel and you can make anything sharp as hell

Agreed. When I first had to get the new house furnished and before I had gotten decent knives, I picked up an utterly crap $25 Chicago Cutlery three-knife set including a chef's, serrated, and paring knife from Target. I knew I just needed something to get through a week or two.

Those knives are barely worth their price point lol. But with a whetstone, they'll take an edge with no problem, and you can get them sharp. The won't keep their edge long, but they'll take one.

My peeve are sh!tty knive sets. 14 in a block and all are essential useless other than as paper weights.

Buy what you need. A good all-purpose like a chef or santoku and a Pairing. Then maybe whatever other knive you frequently use. I've got my daily drivers then added based on needs.

We got a block knife set for our wedding that get's used every day for something but when I'm fixing dinner I usually use a vintage carbon steel Henckel that I grabbed at a yard sale for $5. I'd intended to resell it on eBay but it is just too useful to give up! It's ugly, but it holds an edge better than any of my stainless knives.

My peeve are sh!tty knive sets. 14 in a block and all are essential useless other than as paper weights.

Buy what you need. A good all-purpose like a chef or santoku and a Pairing. Then maybe whatever other knive you frequently use. I've got my daily drivers then added based on needs.

I agree with you, that too many people buy a knife set based on how many knives it has, not based on the quality or usefulness of those knives. "Oooh, it has a tomato knife!" Yeah, I've got a tomato knife too. It's my 10" chef's knife. But even a sh!tty knife set can be useful if the knives are kept sharp. Most people who buy those sets don't know what a sharp knife even feels like though.

But yeah, most people would be better off evaluating up front which knives they need, and buying fewer knives but of better quality. But like @bleme above, a lot of people get their first "real" knives in a block they register for when they get married. And then they keep those knives for a very long period of time--which is fine if they're maintained, though they rarely are.

However, I will say this. Cutco has a special place reserved in hell.

Gotta ask, whats your beef with Cutco? BIL has a set and they seem pretty good. Especially since I don’t think he sharpens them but once every few months.

Funny this topic came up. Last week I started browsing whetstones. Apparently for as well as my knives cut, they could cut much better.

What are you people doing to your edges that your blades need to be sharppend that much? Or maybe mine are no longer as sharp as I think, but they seem to cut well on everything I aim them at.

Gotta ask, whats your beef with Cutco? BIL has a set and they seem pretty good. Especially since I don’t think he sharpens them but once every few months.

Well, part of it is based on old data. I hate serrated blades and I think most of their blades, including things like chef's knives, even used to use that serrated edge. Looking at them now, it appears that they've finally started getting to the point where they are actually using some straight edged blades more often.

So I should take that back. A review I looked at suggests that their steel is fairly decent quality too.

However, looking at the knives, it appears they're still quite overpriced. I'm not sure that the prices and the quality match up very well.

What are you people doing to your edges that your blades need to be sharppend that much? Or maybe mine are no longer as sharp as I think, but they seem to cut well on everything I aim them at.

In my house we generally cook dinner 6 nights a week, and there's a lot of vegetable chopping and prep work for many of those dinners. I probably *should* be sharpening every 3 months, but I get lazy and it's usually every 6 months or so.

Americas test kitchen has fully reccomend that very knife and it has won their tests for over a decade. I want to replace my henckels 4 star German knives with one. The Mercer bread knife made me a believer.

Upon pku, I am not a fan of a short knife . It's that handle, I am like you lots of prep. I like that handle and they said it is crazy sharp. Not surprised if needs sharpened more. The German steel less maybe but as sharp? I am in for a 40 dollar try. Victorinox fibrox pro chef knife iirc. Grew up with some cutco but mom didn't sharpen.

Last edited:
Cutco is a fine knife. They are all serated, with their D notch that they are so proud of. I've got all sorts around here. I HATE the handles, they don't try hard with those at all. The only ones I use regularly are the Cutco steak knifes, the Cutco cheese knives (these are very good), and their ice cream scoop which is the best available.

Regarding kitchen prep, I love the Miyabi knives with the SG2 steel. It's an ultra-hard metal that can be honed at a high angle for a very sharp edge. I've got a whole set, but I rely on the 8" chef for almost everything. check out www.culteryandmore.com for a pretty good selection.

I love when Cutco knocks on my door!

They make a better-than-average knife and a they bank on the fact that the average consumer's cutlery is sub-standardly maintained. This is not their experience when they visit me.

Americas test kitchen has fully reccomend that very knife and it has won their tests for over a decade. I want to replace my henckels 4 star German knives with one. The Mercer bread knife made me a believer.

Upon pku, I am not a fan of a short knife . It's that handle, I am like you lots of prep. I like that handle and they said it is crazy sharp. Not surprised if needs sharpened more. The German steel less maybe but as sharp? I am in for a 40 dollar try. Victorinox fibrox pro chef knife iirc. Grew up with some cutco but mom didn't sharpen.

The one thing I don't like about the Victorinox, quite frankly, is the weight. It's a VERY light knife, even the 10" chef's knife. Having come from Wusthof previously, it feels a little too light for my taste.

But the America's Test Kitchen recommendation was one of the reasons I bought Victorinox. The value for the price is exceptional.

I love when Cutco knocks on my door!

They make a better-than-average knife and a they bank on the fact that the average consumer's cutlery is sub-standardly maintained. This is not their experience when they visit me.

Yep. "Oh, you want me to cut through a leather belt? No problem!"

And then their eyes get wide when my knife goes through easier than theirs.

Venison jerky from backstraps smoked yesterday. Marinated overnight in soy, teriyaki, liquid smoke, worcestershire, maple syrup, brown sugar, honey, black pepper, sea salt, cayenne and red pepper flakes. Hence, I refer to it as the "kitchen sink" marinade.

Yum!!!
Lol. I think almost everyone has some version of a kitchen sink marinade.
I have one I mostly use on meat for grilling - I haven't tried it with smoke yet.
Mine's usually soy sauce (sometimes half and half with coconut aminos) rice vinegar, sesame oil, mustard, garlic, black pepper, a bit of Cajun seasoning, crushed coriander seed, chopped cilantro and red pepper flakes.
Occasionally I'll toss some beer (preferably dark) or coffee in there.
usually comes out tasty.

Love cedar planked. That looks amazing. I smoked a big pork shoulder with hickory and cherry. Haha, ran out of salt, and camping, and other camping, and emergency sea salt chunks. Ground as much of last sea salt grinder I could. Near half cup to one cup white and brown sugar mixed. Put spice rub on and didnt like it. The smoked paprika started to overtake everything. 275 no wrap straight through for near 12 hours. Pretty tasty.

Latest posts

Back