Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on the size I just cover with foil when done, sometimes in a steam tray--cooler not required. A brisket will still be hot after 3 hours, a pork shoulder much longer than that.

Pork steaks with garlic and cracked pepper, hamburgers and Kawolski polish sausage and sipping on Dirty Bastard and Dirty Blonde.
20190712_214103.jpeg
20190712_214011.jpeg

I've got 4 bone-in butts that have been sitting on the WSM since 1030, taking a hickory smoke bath.
Then I threw two racks of baby backs on the Weber performer, and they are also getting hickory since about 11:15 or so.

Pics when I get ambition

I love my Weber genesis silver and am amazed every time I use it. I didn't know grilling could be such a joy.
Screenshot_20190728-195511_Google.jpeg

Man I love my performer. I special ordered the blue one so it matched my pool :) Just cleaned the whole thing a few minutes ago on the side lawn - steaks tonight.
One of them would look pretty sweet next to the gas. Can you help me understand the difference between it and a classic Weber. Also how does it do holding temps? Thanks. Looks like it's easy enough to clean. I love these Weber's man, dang.

Though it wasn't planned, I smoked some ribs with Apple in my Smokey Joe, which turned out great. Coincidentally, I now have an excellent use for my beers that aren't what I would like to get around to my friends : marinade.

IMG_20190728_0934585.jpg

One of them would look pretty sweet next to the gas. Can you help me understand the difference between it and a classic Weber. Also how does it do holding temps? Thanks. Looks like it's easy enough to clean. I love these Weber's man, dang.

It's simply a charcoal kettle grill, but with some niceties that make it easier to use. It has a gas system to light the coals. There is a platform on the right for cutting and plates etc. Wheels, hooks for hanging stuff, and a large bin to hold a bag of coals.

It's not really made for smoking, but will work. Regarding holding temps (e.g., for low slow smokes), I don't think it would be as good as a dedicated smoker like the Weber Smokey Mountain, but I think it would work. Because it's not as big as a smoker, it would be a little harder to keep foods from direct heating from the coals.

It's simply a charcoal kettle grill, but with some niceties that make it easier to use. It has a gas system to light the coals. There is a platform on the right for cutting and plates etc. Wheels, hooks for hanging stuff, and a large bin to hold a bag of coals.

It's not really made for smoking, but will work. Regarding holding temps (e.g., for low slow smokes), I don't think it would be as good as a dedicated smoker like the Weber Smokey Mountain, but I think it would work. Because it's not as big as a smoker, it would be a little harder to keep foods from direct heating from the coals.
Thanks for the info. They look pretty cool and easy to clean. Love the table. Was wondering about the gas because I didn't see it. So, I assume it's super easy to use. Throw the charcoal in and get it going. Awesome.

I add chips to gas grill, charcoal, etc almost always. Anyone else do that for some hot dogs even? I am experimenting with mesquite because I wonder if the short cooking time is good for its powerful flavor.

Thanks for the info. They look pretty cool and easy to clean. Love the table. Was wondering about the gas because I didn't see it. So, I assume it's super easy to use. Throw the charcoal in and get it going. Awesome.

Super easy. I don't think I'd use it nearly as much if I needed to use a chimney to get the coals started. Made 5 phat beef filets on it last night.

I add chips to gas grill, charcoal, etc almost always. Anyone else do that for some hot dogs even? I am experimenting with mesquite because I wonder if the short cooking time is good for its powerful flavor.

Actually, smoking is part of my hot dog making process :) I've made these twice now. Good stuff. (The cellulose casings there get removed after smoking)

full

I have been watching videos of that performer it looks so easy to use and clean. I have an old kingsford. Here is a pic of it I found. Was somewhat expensive I think. My sisters brother left it here when he moved. Used it exclusively for years, never even had a gas. But once we got gas havent used it since. I wonder if the gas start could bring me back!

Doh, ps do you guys charcoal direct or indirect. I cook almost everything direct, feeling a good sear is juicy and king. Yet slow cooking indirectly is juicy too.
Screenshot_20190731-082328_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

Fired up the smoker before leaving for work today. Smoked a couple of pork chops for dinner tonight, but the main reason is that I started a brisket for this weekend. After smoking it through the day, on Saturday I'll finish it off in a crockpot with some Sweet Baby Rays.

Super easy. I don't think I'd use it nearly as much if I needed to use a chimney to get the coals started. Made 5 phat beef filets on it last night.
Thanks for all the info, really considering one. So you put the coals right in the grate and ignite. I saw a video and people were igniting using a chimney too. Not having to use a chimney is a huge attraction to me.

We had a cookout for about half of our French family a couple of weeks ago. I ordered 3 pork shoulders from the local butcher assuming each one would be 7 lbs, more or less. I learned a lesson when I picked them up-each one was around 7 kilos(15 pounds). 12 hours at 250F on iak and lump charcoal . Delicious.
20190726_060541.jpeg
20190726_133306.jpeg

Smoked two pork butts yesterday. I like to have pulled pork vacuum sealed in the freezer to pop into boiling water for a fresh-from-the-smoker tasty anytime meal.

31# of pork shoulder on the Kamado Joe before 7 AM. Gonna be a good day.

Running the smoker around 325-350, so they'll be ready by dinnertime.

66855001_450695352184730_2149637086739902443_n.jpg
Whoa, cool. Careful with the sugar at that temperature. Sure you know that but good for all. Blasts right through stall. Hope you update with finished butts. Awesome kamado.

IMG_0004.JPG

Chicken thighs. Trying out 2 new rubs.
Preparing for my first 4# pork shoulder tomorrow. Should be a fun adventure.

Side question- anyone ever throw their beer soaked oak in the smoker?
I had some Hungarian oak that soaked in bourbon then stout. Not sure if this is a good idea?

Back