Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
21lbs of shoulder after 14hrs on the Memphis. Got em' sitting in the cooler waiting for the block party later -

6qzew2.jpg

That looks delicious. I'm going to have to try to find some of these as well. Bone-in anything is always better!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Beef Ribs. First time and probably the last. Came out tasty, but not sure they are worth the effort. In the smoker for almost 9 hours and you sure don't get a lot to eat from them.

ribs.jpg

Found a whole chicken in the freezer. Thawed it in the fridge and just took it off the smoker. 225° until it is 165. Less than 2 hours. Delicious.
I really like smoked poultry.

1413238598425.jpg

Smoked chicken from last night.

Dry brined for abour 24 hours in the fridge. I believe it made a huge difference in the final product versus not brining at all.
Kept it low at about 225F until the internal temp was around 150F, then cranked the BBQ temp up to 325F to crisp up the skin. The pic almost looks like the skin would be rubbery, but it was incredibly crisp and delicious.

smoked chicken.jpg

Salt & Pepper. Measured 1:1 ratio *by weight*.

Want some heat? Throw some chili pepper powder in there. I've used cayenne, ancho, chipotle, or some combination therein. Add to taste.

This!!! Let the beef and smoke be the shining star. I also add garlic powder but keep it simple for brisket. A good coating may seem like a lot but it's also a large thick cut of meat. Pics!!??

This!!! Let the beef and smoke be the shining star. I also add garlic powder but keep it simple for brisket. A good coating may seem like a lot but it's also a large thick cut of meat. Pics!!??

I usually use just 'Canadian steak seasoning'. It has some garlic in it. I'd throw in some garlic powder in as well if you have it.

Some pork belly that's been curing in the fridge for about 10 days right before it went in the smoker.

First time trying this. If it turns out any sort of good this will definitely be a regular thing.

uncured bacon.jpg

Last edited:
Smoked and sliced. Wish I had a meat slicer to take care of this, since it was a bit difficult to get straight cuts.
That taste though...this will definitely be a regular thing.
Canadian on the left, Asian on the right.

bacon sliced.jpg

Gonna smoke some wings today. Tossed in butter and hot sauce before & after smoking, and I'll prop the door on the WSM when they're just about done to crisp them up.

Oh damn! May not be about smokin' meat, but that right there is welcome in any thread!

Sent from my BrewPhone using Home Brew, cuz I really didn't want to fire up the computer to post this.

I'm just jealous..... On a self (aka SWMBO) imposed 2 week organic cleanse. Ooof. No smokin (meats OR cigars) no alcohol. On the downhill side tho. C'mon Friday!

Sent from my BrewPhone using Home Brew, cuz I really didn't want to fire up the computer to post this.

I'm just jealous..... On a self (aka SWMBO) imposed 2 week organic cleanse. Ooof. No smokin (meats OR cigars) no alcohol. On the downhill side tho. C'mon Friday!

Unless its helping w/ your little mans hang time.....I choose death by toxins. I mean something's gonna get ya eventually anyways

Lol..... Extra 60 pounds is what it's supposed to help with.... Kind of a jump start....
Anyway back to the regularly scheduled smokin.... Least I can live vicariously thru y'all for the next 6 days

My first attempt at smoking a chicken. Just flipped it over. It has about 1.5-2 hours left.

1413752865325.jpg

ok gang....opinion time, y'all got plenty of them.... SWMBO wants a 'pork roast' smoked this weekend. I'm hesitant, because I view this as something thick and flat, like what mom used to do in the pressure cooker, cooking it to 200 degrees to kill it.....lol. Am I not thinking correctly? What would be the call on this? I'm thinking just grab a shoulder and do it up....she's looking for something to have as a 'roast' one day and fix up the rest of it shredded the next? Shoot me your thoughts.....

ok gang....opinion time, y'all got plenty of them.... SWMBO wants a 'pork roast' smoked this weekend. I'm hesitant, because I view this as something thick and flat, like what mom used to do in the pressure cooker, cooking it to 200 degrees to kill it.....lol. Am I not thinking correctly? What would be the call on this? I'm thinking just grab a shoulder and do it up....she's looking for something to have as a 'roast' one day and fix up the rest of it shredded the next? Shoot me your thoughts.....[

Maybe a "sirloin roast" - the rib end of a loin. It would slice and shred.

ok gang....opinion time, y'all got plenty of them.... SWMBO wants a 'pork roast' smoked this weekend. I'm hesitant, because I view this as something thick and flat, like what mom used to do in the pressure cooker, cooking it to 200 degrees to kill it.....lol. Am I not thinking correctly? What would be the call on this? I'm thinking just grab a shoulder and do it up....she's looking for something to have as a 'roast' one day and fix up the rest of it shredded the next? Shoot me your thoughts.....

What if you cut a shoulder or butt in two? Cook one half to 195-203 for pulling. Cook the other half to a lower temp for slicing and serve it up with gravy or a mustard sauce and some veggies.

Back