Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Reaction score
It was a hell of a party, we lost power at 7am and were running on a generator which powers about half of my house. The pigroast started at 3pm and it was 96f outside, we had canopies and fans running. Thennnn the rain came, we got 3 inches of rain in an hour and a half, my basement started to take on water but the sump pumps kept up, the septic had some issues but luckily did not back up. Most everyone stayed through the storm and when it stopped we set off about 75 firework mortars. It was a decent show, the kids played in the mud and we eventually got a bonfire started. I am in the tan shirt and yes thats a sawzaw we use to cut the spine so we can spread the ribs and get it to lay flat.
imagejpeg_0.jpg

imagejpeg_1.jpg

imagejpeg_0 (1).jpg

And the final product
20210717_141925.jpg

20210717_141916.jpg

Mr. Vern

Sacred Crow Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tough act to follow!! Nice hog!

I whipped up my first batch of beef jerky last weekend. It's already gone after 3 days of munching at my desk.

50% with teriyaki / 50% with jerk marinade.. eye of round with varying thickness between 1/8" and 1/4"
smoked on hardwood lump and a couple cubes of hickory @ 175F for a few hours. Ill up the temp a little next time maybe play around 200-225

Attachments

Oldskewl

Reaction score
You want to keep the temp low or the fat will melt out of the meat and you will have dry jerky. I normally do 150F for 2 hours and then ramp up to 170-175F until it is the texture I prefer.