Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8 am check.
20210717_084309.jpg

It was a hell of a party, we lost power at 7am and were running on a generator which powers about half of my house. The pigroast started at 3pm and it was 96f outside, we had canopies and fans running. Thennnn the rain came, we got 3 inches of rain in an hour and a half, my basement started to take on water but the sump pumps kept up, the septic had some issues but luckily did not back up. Most everyone stayed through the storm and when it stopped we set off about 75 firework mortars. It was a decent show, the kids played in the mud and we eventually got a bonfire started. I am in the tan shirt and yes thats a sawzaw we use to cut the spine so we can spread the ribs and get it to lay flat.
imagejpeg_0.jpg

imagejpeg_1.jpg

imagejpeg_0 (1).jpg

And the final product
20210717_141925.jpg

20210717_141916.jpg

Tough act to follow!! Nice hog!

I whipped up my first batch of beef jerky last weekend. It's already gone after 3 days of munching at my desk.

50% with teriyaki / 50% with jerk marinade.. eye of round with varying thickness between 1/8" and 1/4"
smoked on hardwood lump and a couple cubes of hickory @ 175F for a few hours. Ill up the temp a little next time maybe play around 200-225

Attachments

• jerk.jpg
    jerk.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 8
You want to keep the temp low or the fat will melt out of the meat and you will have dry jerky. I normally do 150F for 2 hours and then ramp up to 170-175F until it is the texture I prefer.

After 40 years of marriage my wife has decided Friday is fish day so I'm smoking a rack of baby back ribs tomorrow. Since they did not come from a fish I will hold a conversion ceremony tomorrow and they will be baptized as fish. "Though you were born a pig, and raised a pig, by the grace granted to me by myself, I now baptize you as a rack of fish ribs". Let's eat.

Haha...I'm lazy so I bought a Morton's brisket that's pre-rubbed....
The part of me that's not lazy is gonna smoke it on my Weber kettle with some whole chunk cherry tomorrow.
It's kinda small tho, like maybe 4 lbs....so instructions on the meat say only 6 hours...we shall see!

The part of me that's not lazy is gonna smoke it on my Weber kettle with some whole chunk cherry tomorrow.
It's kinda small tho, like maybe 4 lbs....so instructions on the meat say only 6 hours...we shall see!

I've never smoked a brisket with cherry, let's us know how it turns out.

Personally, I wouldn't pay any attention to the instructions. Every brisket is different. Take it to 205F internal brisket temp and then use the probe of the thermometer to test it. When the probe goes in like butter, it's done. Could be between 205-215F.
Just some friendly advice! Happy cooking!

After 40 years of marriage my wife has decided Friday is fish day so I'm smoking a rack of baby back ribs tomorrow. Since they did not come from a fish I will hold a conversion ceremony tomorrow and they will be baptized as fish. "Though you were born a pig, and raised a pig, by the grace granted to me by myself, I now baptize you as a rack of fish ribs". Let's eat.
And as I am my own witness, those were the best fish ribs I've cooked in a long time, along with a big pot of pinto beans.

I use a fast soak method-boil a pot of water, put the cleaned beans(about 2 cups) in, turn the water off and let it sit for an hour or so. While the beans soak sauté a finely chopped onion in bacon grease, at the last minute add a couple of cloves of coarsely chopped garlic and turn heat off. Take the soaked beans, put in colander and rinse, then put back in the pot with the onions and garlic. Put just enough water to cover the beans by a half inch, bring to a boil and then turn down to low simmer. At this point I add half a metric shitton of good New Mexico red chile powder(most people use less). After about an hour I add about a tablespoon of salt and simmer until the beans are soft. For the last 10 minutes, while I set the table and prepare to eat, I'll take the lid off the bean pot and turn the heat up to make a slightly thicker bean juice.

cook your pinto beans however you like. once they are done, cook some chorizo and then add the beans to that! mix and enjoy!

Brisket turned out pretty good...good enough for me to eat.
The kids said, "this chicken is too chewy". Wasted on them....should nuked some nuggets instead.

Brisket turned out pretty good...good enough for me to eat.
The kids said, "this chicken is too chewy". Wasted on them....should nuked some nuggets instead.

Be careful. My son just turned 14. We always ask the kids whether they want to go out for dinner for their birthdays or have us cook.

He said, "I want you to cook--can we have filet?"

Yeah, that was expensive... And delicious.

I did up a brisket the other day. Ran low on time, so I ended up with a Texas crutch - wrapped it in aluminum fiol (the butcher paper I ordered just in case didn't come in time.)
I honestly had never done that before, but man, it powered right through the stall. Came out tasty and right on time.
No pics, though.

You cook shoulder hot and fast correct? Any tips on that? Temp?

Yeah, hot and fast. Typically shooting for somewhere in the 350 range.

Truthfully, it doesn't much matter with a few exceptions:

1) If you have a rub with significant sugar content, you don't want to go too hot or you can potentially burn your rub.
2) If you're way up in temp (400+) you may not get as significant of smoke character and your bark will be a lot more dark and dry.

But I've found that pork shoulder really takes to hot and fast with no downside. And if you get up >300, you're going to power through the stall very nicely and you can start cooking in the morning rather than having to sweat an overnight smoke.

lemon/lime/mango/mojito citrus hodgepodge of the kabob left over beef chicken and veggies. It was beautiful and tender and juicy till the wife ordered me under duress to remove the foil from the grill for 15 minutes to quote "crispinize" it...we ended up with beef and chicken Jerky 😒😒😒. That's what happens when a Grand Master Grill Master is interfered with. Next time I stick to my 40 years of grilling guns. SMH 😣. Thank goodness I like jerky.
20210912_173109.jpg

Got another whole turkey breast section in the BGE earlier (went on about half an hour ago). I'll try to remember to take a picture when it comes off. I don't open the BGE until it's time to remove these. Since "if you're lookin, it ain't cookin"...
PXL_20210918_160917109.jpg

Egg is running at 250F. I pull when the meat sensor reads 158F. Since it is done at that point. IME, waiting for it to hit 165F means it's over done. Sometimes the plastic popper in the turkey pops, sometimes it doesn't. DGAF either way. ;)

Using one chunk each of sugar maple and black cherry (from Maine Grilling Woods). Plan to order more within a month. I tend to order about twice a year (their large bags of chunks). Since I'm hosting another "Brew 'n Q" next weekend, I'll use a few chunks of each for the brisket.

First post to this thread. First time trying hot n' fast (3hrs and 15 min) ribs. Family approved. Pretty pumped at how tender they were. With three adolescents in the house, none being vegetarians 😂, these were destroyed.

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

lol we also had plenty of chicken wings and sides as well. but I will say that 99.9% of all wars in our house are over food lol. So Mortal Kombat reference holds 100% true!

I was smoking a couple pork butts Saturday and decided to give in to the hype of smoking cream cheese. I basically scored the top of a block regular Philadelphia cream cheese., sprinkled on some good rub, put it in an aluminum pan sprayed with pam and smoked it at 200F for 2 hours. Let me say if you are a lover of cream cheese like I am, you will love it. I just spread it on crackers. Some recommend stuffing jalapenos with it.

https://www.orwhateveryoudo.com/2021/08/traeger-smoked-cream-cheese.html

Back