Who's smoking meat this weekend?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

corkybstewart

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately because of the coronavirus I did not get to go to my house in France this summer. French pork is much leaner than American, and the pigs appear to be much bigger. Lat summer I ordered 3 shoulders for a family cookout-each one averaged 7 kilos. The ribs I cooked this weekend were just grocery store rbs, uninfected with flavor solution.
Also I was not using a probe, just a digital thermometer inserted in a half dozen of the thickest areas of the ribs. And the wife and I are about to eat the last few ribs right now, with pinto beans and ppotato salad. Bon apetit.

bwarbiany

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know the bge on a personal level, but depending on the temp probe placement in relation to grate surface can be significantly different. Alternatively, the ceramic insulation may make it very temperature stable with a low swing.
I roll Kamado Joe, so I'm familiar with the grill. You're right that temp settings are basically nonexistent.

I do wonder if it was the size of the ribs. I get mine from Costco and usually search for the heaviest 3-pack I can find. Each slab is therefore >3 lbs.

That may be meatier than a typical grocery store slab.

bleme

Reaction score
98BF8E87-E5F0-44A8-B47F-95675634D464.jpeg

Was given more jalapeños than I could use. Made Poppers from the biggest and threw the rest in the smoker as an experiment. Smoking made them super sweet and gave them a jelly texture. Very yum!

S-Met

Department of Redundancy Department.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Smoking made them super sweet and gave them a jelly texture. Very yum!
Couple times a year I make smoked tomatillo salsa. Toss tomatillos, head of garlic, couple onions and whatever pepper on the smoker. I usually do a lighter wood like cherry and just a little hickory.

Toss everything into the blender, add lime juice, salt and black pepper until it tastes right. Good stuff!

zdc1775

Reaction score
Couple times a year I make smoked tomatillo salsa. Toss tomatillos, head of garlic, couple onions and whatever pepper on the smoker. I usually do a lighter wood like cherry and just a little hickory.

Toss everything into the blender, add lime juice, salt and black pepper until it tastes right. Good stuff!
That sounds awesome. Just might have to go to the store and get the stuff to make it this afternoon.

S-Met

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
For all of the smoking I've been doing over the last few months, I've been terrible about snapping pics. Well, I make no promises about being better.

Tossed some thighs on after work. Low and slow @ 225 to an I.T. of 155 ~ 2hrs then into a 400°f oven to crisp the sk8n ~15min. Plated with sauteed sumer veggies
20200708_062234.jpg

S-Met

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Have yet to try smoking some fish on my smoker. Don't know if it will maintain a nice low temp. Can grill it like nobodies business though! Looks good @Kharmynb.
I hot-smoke fish semi regularly. Usually takes 1-3 beers to smoke a fish, depending on the beer and how hot it is outside. Summer 3-beer is about equal to winter 1 beer.

Kharnynb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
with salmon, I find the best way is to just put rough seasalt on the top, sprinkle just a pinch of sugar over and then smoke it hot and heavy on the smoke for 30 minutes till you have a nice dark top on it.

bkboiler

Reaction score
@Dgallo I'm pretty sure the "sticky-icky-icky" referred to by Ludacris is actually barbeque sauce...he's just misunderstood by the establishment and some record execs abridged his real message...true southern rapper after all. 😀
Also,sweet lookin rig!

Dgallo

If you ain’t first, you’re last Ricky Bobby
Reaction score
@Dgallo I'm pretty sure the "sticky-icky-icky" referred to by Ludacris is actually barbeque sauce...he's just misunderstood by the establishment and some record execs abridged his real message...true southern rapper after all. 😀
Also,sweet lookin rig!
Lololol and thanks brother

ehall

Reaction score
finally got the igniter on Friday, 6 f'n weeks! installed it on Sat and I'm making some ribs this afternoon... better not have any more issues with thing.

Oldskewl

Reaction score
My thermal fuse blew on my Bradly smoker a few weeks ago(I think the meat was touching the temp probe). Replaced it with a fuse from Mouser a few days ago. Smoked up some Chicken Legs and Thighs Saturday and a 7# Boston Butt yesterday. Both turned out excellent!! Sorry no pics:no:

S-Met

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Got 56 lbs of pork butt to smoke for a work bbq on Friday. I hope it all fits in the smoker.
If not... half batch smoke till the stall, then move to the oven @ same temp. Then start the second batch.

If you SV, I've smoked to stall then bagged and SV. Possibly the most succulent pulled butts ive ever made since I was able to save those juices separate the fat. Then add the renered stock back to the meat

Staestc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been cooking on Webers just about forever. Finally bit the bullet and this came and was assembled Tuesday afternoon! Had a couple of strips on hand so did those as my first cook on it. Love the sear box attachment for that final sear :) Brisket this weekend for a real test!
Assembled.jpg
Sear Box Grate.jpg
PG Strip 7-28-2020 2.JPG

Brew_Dude41

Failing defacto pre-school teacher/chaos coordinat
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Pulled it out after 16 and I couldn't have hoped for better.
20200801_165105.jpg

Did about 3 lb of Canadian bacon with it as well. Seems like I finally got this one right. All my other attempts have been too salty, but I finally soaked it in fresh water long enough to pull out enough before smoking.
20200801_144850.jpg

duncan.brown

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not exactly smoked, but tonight we had five Angus strips cooked directly on mesquite coals. Two hours to get the lump mesquite to coals and then the steak gets four minutes each side.

IMG_5994.jpeg

Last edited: