Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm about 50feet above sea level haha. My understanding is that I should pull out the chip tray, as it's not needed (obviously). Where do I put the amazen ps? I figure it needs to be on/near the heating element right? So can I not use the water pan if that's the case? I'm a little skeptical of the thing, but I get a little tired of constantly replacing chips in the smoker (plus, chips get expensive)

I put mine in the bottom left, next to the element because there is extra room there. It might get better air flow higher up, and if I remember correctly, some people have had problems when meat, etc. drips onto it. But, it should work wherever you have room.

Ribeye & NY over 600* of Mesquite. 2 minutes total grill time for med rare

jleS5L0.jpg

The AMNPS is lit and maintains its smoke separately of the heater element in the smoker. That's one reason people use it for cold smoking, as you light it and it puts out smoke but almost no heat, and doesn't require another heat source to remain lit.

So you don't need to put the AMNPS "near" or "on" the heat element to generate smoke. In fact, I think you'd want to put it a little bit away from the element so it doesn't ignite, and merely remains smoldering.

Just read an interesting and brief article on basting turkeys. The sum of the article??? Don't waste your time basting a commercial, previously frozen bird! Opening the oven door lowers the oven temp and means longer roasting time. Also, the skin won't "crisp up" if basted. Now, the article did NOT address fresh, never frozen birds. But I would think that putting some stuffing inside the carcass would keep the meat moist, as well.

glenn514:mug:

Just read an interesting and brief article on basting turkeys. The sum of the article??? Don't waste your time basting a commercial, previously frozen bird! Opening the oven door lowers the oven temp and means longer roasting time. Also, the skin won't "crisp up" if basted. Now, the article did NOT address fresh, never frozen birds. But I would think that putting some stuffing inside the carcass would keep the meat moist, as well.

I have to respectfully disagree - I baste my turkeys with a mixture of half melted butter (1 stick) and half dry vermouth (1/2 cup) - and that skin is brown and nicely crispy! AND it makes for some dang tasty gravy with all that good stuff that gathers in the bottom of the pan.

Dry skin makes for crisper crust. Leave uncovered for 4+ hours in the refrigerator will help, as will a rub heavy in salt. Rubbing oil/fat will help brown it but not help with crunchiness. Keeping it uncovered while roasting/smoking helps too. The higher the heat, the sooner it will crisp too.

JMO, but basting doesn't do much to the meat. I much prefer injecting/brining.

:off:

Ha - If you really want to get dirty looks fry the bird! While I like to smoke a lot of foods I have always found fried turkey superior to smoked versions. My favorite part is skin and the smoked version just doesn't cut it in that department.

Either way it will probably be better than the oven roasted version. Let us know how it turns out.

No denying the delicousness of a fried turkey. But I wanted to see how it would do on the smoke. I rubbed it down, shoved a bunch of orange slices in the carcass, and opted for the Pit Barrel Cooker instead of the WSM because it does so well with chicken. I ran some ribs at the same time. Unfortunately, too much homebrew resulted in my falling asleep. When I awoke at 5 a.m., I was sure it was toast (burnt toast). But the temp on the breast read 163F. An optimist, I assumed it wasn't on the way down from 210F and that the cold weather had slowed the cook. I put a stick of butter, cut into pats all over it and in the carcass and put it in the oven for 45 minutes at 275F.

I was not expecting much more than sandwich meat when I sliced it, but holy cow, it was amazing. The drumsticks got a bit overdone, but the rest of it was as good as it comes despite the skin/bark being way dark looking.

vOmwTxf.jpg

I have to respectfully disagree - I baste my turkeys with a mixture of half melted butter (1 stick) and half dry vermouth (1/2 cup) - and that skin is brown and nicely crispy! AND it makes for some dang tasty gravy with all that good stuff that gathers in the bottom of the pan.

I don't disagree with you, Temptd2. I'm just saying what the article stated. And when I deep-fry a bird, I certainly do miss those pan drippings!

LOL Glenn, we generally agree with each other!

Well, methinks we kinda, sorta have to agree with each other, since we share the same birth day! But here's a good one for you: guess who my identical twin is [same birth month, birth day and birth year]!!!

The AMNPS is lit and maintains its smoke separately of the heater element in the smoker. That's one reason people use it for cold smoking, as you light it and it puts out smoke but almost no heat, and doesn't require another heat source to remain lit.

So you don't need to put the AMNPS "near" or "on" the heat element to generate smoke. In fact, I think you'd want to put it a little bit away from the element so it doesn't ignite, and merely remains smoldering.

And then no side loading? Sounds nice.

Since I bought my smoker a few months ago, I've only really done wings.I'm going to smoke some chicken thighs tomorrow to pull apart for some sandwiches. Anyone have a good brine? I was just going to put them in the bowl with water, sugar and salt overnight. Not sure if that is the best way to go though.. still learning!

Here is a picture of some hickory smoked wings I did recently. This was my first attempt and I cooked them start to finish in my smoker. The past few times I have only been smoking for an hour or so and then finishing them in the oven.

JSmokedwings.jpg

View attachment IMG_1685.jpg

View attachment IMG_1684.jpg

Took my Cub Scout son to a Boy Scout event today as he is getting ready to transfer. They were doing a Dutch oven pie contest and the they were also baking 2 turkeys in the mother of all Dutch ovens. The lid weighed 75# and the base was 100#. It cost $350 plus $200 shipping. Holy crap!! But damn that turkey smelled delicious. Wish we could have stayed for diner. :)

So update to my previous post. Saturday night I made a brine with water, salt, sugar, and cayenne pepper. Put in 2.5 lbs of chicken thighs w/ bone and let sit over night. Smoked with apple wood chips Sunday afternoon. Pulled the meat off and shredded it and put it on sandwiches with golden bbq sauce and cut up russet potatoes into fries, seasoned with chipotle rub and deep fried them. It was probably one of my favorite homemade meals ever, and I can't wait to do it again.

Looks great. I get to eat a lot of what we smoke because there only two of us. However when we have a party I have to set a little aside so the wife and I can have a meal. Labor day we made 4 large briskets and 6 large pork shoulders.

If I didn't set a point aside we wouldn't of had anything left, LOL. friends are still talking about it every time we talk.

Vacuum pack and freeze. When you want leftovers plop the bag in boiling water and presto ...just like fresh cooked.

Thanksgiving turkey was a huge success, started with a 20 lb bird
80-img_20171122_232550950_d4bdc92a1ea57407b969ec2ea3dad80d669f5b95.jpg

Dry rubbed it over night with herbs and spices
80-img_20171122_233746733_80ed30e75a91ddca178f0291e201ac2a63bf1240.jpg

Next morning fired up the smoker and injected it with butter and white wine, and stuffed it with garlic and onions
80-img_20171123_120801667_dcf3fdb78575a286c28b2798684a47020a199c48.jpg

Covered with cheese cloth and basted every half hour with wine/butter mix
80-img_20171123_134401174_top_45b191af33630258ea1636cb735950a06eb0c0b2.jpg

Smoked with hardwood lump charcoal and apple wood chips, literally smoked out the entire neighborhood :clpower:
80-img_20171123_134455274_3a174ea43df0aee22f1bbc47a04eb86cc5c9d684.jpg

Wrapped the legs and wings after a few hours, this thing barely fit on the smoker, but I made it fit
80-img_20171123_151340947_cbd1eb57a233ab28dee0b347da8b846e543d1726.jpg

Total smoke to get the inner thighs to 165 was 5 hrs total
80-img_20171123_175527085_33c2398e3c71f72357c80982e757ed09ac8b41f8.jpg

The finished product, the meat was extremely flavorful and juicy, so freaking good! Best one I've made yet :yum: And it was cooked perfectly all the way through
80-img_20171123_183301159_e4f7c44af3692a8f0244358cd8ac4df9e7f1251c.jpg

So just impulse bought a kamado Jr for my brother's Christmas present. On sale for $99 at Lowe's. He likes to boat and camp so figured its a good portable solution.

Any recommendations on what to smoke on it? Area seems small but I could see wings, ribs and some seafood. He's big into saltwalter fishing if you have recommendations on stripers or blues. Maybe even some desserts.

I second the pork butt. I just asked the butcher to set aside 20 lbs. for me today. It has become our Christmas tradition (vinegar based sauce). We've been doing the wiring for a grocery store remodel since June. I've tried to be especially friendly with the good folks in the meat department. He said I'll find it in the cooler with "special pricing". Sweet.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Sounds like butt will it be. Just saw a 10lb butt being done on YouTube. I wasn't sure it had enough mass for something so big on the Jr.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Sounds like butt will it be. Just saw a 10lb butt being done on YouTube. I wasn't sure it had enough mass for something so big on the Jr.

As long as it fits in there and you can keep it low and slow for a while...nothing better. Personally, I think cold smoke is for fish. Or I did something wrong with my attempts. I have never had anything bad come out of my smoker though. Have fun with it.

BTW, you know of atomic buffalo turds right?

Oh yeah. I've got the normal size kamado and have done the atomics in them. Got the Jr for lil bro. Some ribbing never ends no matter how old you get ;-)

I could see doing some baked clams or something in them.

Latest posts

Back