Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did up some jalepeno ham and cheese Fatty's a la drgonzo2k2. Turned out great and will for sure be making them again!

Looks really good! I did the pizza fatty I was talking about yesterday. I used Italian sausage, home made pizza sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni. Unfortunately I did get any pics when it was done because the family was too hungry, but here is is going on the smoker with a pan of mac n' cheese with bacon:

p5gXePf.jpg

I did an 8 lb pork butt for pulled pork for a party on Saturday. I did it overnight, starting at 8 pm on Friday.

Here it is rubbed down and going on the grill at 8 pm the night before the party:
OF9gkeU.jpg

8 am the next morning it was just about 160:
Vw7KSdV.jpg

At noon it hit 205:
zLCJtHD.jpg

I double wrapped it in foil and towels and put it in a cooler until 4 pm:
G08ejfh.jpg

It basically fell apart by looking at it:
pMetf8D.jpg

Nobody went home hungry that night!

Looks really good! I did the pizza fatty I was talking about yesterday. I used Italian sausage, home made pizza sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni. Unfortunately I did get any pics when it was done because the family was too hungry, but here is is going on the smoker with a pan of mac n' cheese with bacon:

p5gXePf.jpg

have you ever tried the fatty's with ground beef? i was thinking of doing pizza fatty or bacon cheese burger fatty this weekend, but wonder how it would turn out with ground beef instead of pork?

have you ever tried the fatty's with ground beef? i was thinking of doing pizza fatty or bacon cheese burger fatty this weekend, but wonder how it would turn out with ground beef instead of pork?

I've not. I've only used pork for mine so far, but I have seen some other people online use ground beef.

One thing you'll miss with beef over the sausage rolls are the spices, but I'm guessing you could easily compensate for that.

Doing a pork butt for FIL's 7/4 birthday and lots of brats and dogs for a get together at our place tomorrow.

it is with deep regret I must announce the news of BubbaQ's passing

1 hour into a 6lb butt, the smokebox disintegrated into a pile of rust, ash and still-smoldering briquettes

must finish off the butt in the oven & dispose of the smoker's remains

RIP, BubbaQ, you will be missed

View attachment 398606

BubbaQ II. The Revenge

Because awesome BigHair, this one is shiny new, still in the box

Now, we must select its first victim!

Well... after assembly & seasoning, of course

Attachments

• 1499032174912.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 49
Today is KOTC's birthday. He elected to smoke-grill a 4.6 pound bone-in prime rib roast on the Weber kettle grill, using briquettes, split oak sticks, and sprigs of freshly-cut rosemary. The roast took 1 hour 40 minutes and was absolute perfection!

For my part, I baked two taters, sauteed sweet red onions, and sauteed baby bella mushrooms in homebrewed blonde ale and bacon fat til the liquid evaporated, seasoned them up with garlic salt and crushed dried thyme and a fat pat of buttah.

It was all delectable. Polished off with a glass of Silver Oak cab.

Got 6 slabs/racks of St. Louis ribs and four chickens going in the smoker on Tuesday for our fourth of July celebration. All the fixings, 10 gallons each of two different home brews on tap, and chilled ripe watermellons from the garden. Should be an awesome day!

John

First 5 lbs of garlic/lemon/buttered drumsticks (total of 15 lbs) as they come off the smoker and headed to finish in the oven, for the guest last night:

19575342_1386921248039587_7943619996268232345_o.jpg

YES!

How was it? Cooking tips, thoughts appreciated.

They were great - big hit!

i used ground beef instead of ground pork like the ham and cheddar fatty's, and i have to say i liked the beef better.

I may have filled them a little too much...was tough to get a good seal on the ends with the ground beef, so i lost more cheese than i would have liked :(

i would either go with the "less is more" mentality when filling them, or save a few "meatballs" to cram into the ends once the logs are rolled.

2 things i did that i think really helped keep their shape, was fully wrap them in saran wrap, grab the ends tight, and roll the log along the counter. the saran tightens up on it, and puts it into a nice tight log form. I then tossed them into the fridge for half hour while i got the smoker going. getting them cold seemed to help them keep shape while the bacon began to cook and seal everything in!

the pic attached is from previous fatty's, but it gives you the idea of what i mean by "wrap in saran, and roll along the counter while the saran tightens up the roll" kind of thing.

cheers,

Boston butt hit the smoker at 8 this morning, after spending half the night in the oven at 150.. Should be done just in time for dinner

@xpops thanks so much for the great advice and tips. I think I would like to try it without the bacon. I used to make a lot of rouladen. Got lazy and just started putting stopher stove top stuffing in the middle.

Ham on this morning, should be quick. No salt in rub. Used a Neely's rub. Brown sugar, black pepper, cumin, Ginger, mustard, and cinnamon.

BubbaQ II, assembled. was oiling it up for seasoning and it started to rain, so it's inside for now

got a 5lb butt lined up as its first victim on Saturday

20170704_170649.jpg

I smoked a 16 lb turkey over my birthday weekend, I'd post pics but PhotoBucket licks balls

We used the rest of the smoked turkey to make turkey noodle soup and turkey pot pies :yum:

Well a downpour came out of nowhere...got this rigged up pretty quick though

20170708_063544.jpg

Back