Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mixed up 5 lbs of Thai turkey jerky and rolled my first fatty today! It's spicy sausage stuffed with ham and cheddar.

Both will go on the Rec Tec tomorrow!

Pics will follow.

Boise Costco had Prime packers for $3.49/lb. Smoked one 3 weeks ago. Came out great. Wish it wasn't so expensive or I'd do them a lot more often.

zJ1BssM.jpg

Boise Costco had Prime packers for $3.49/lb. Smoked one 3 weeks ago. Came out great. Wish it wasn't so expensive or I'd do them a lot more often.

zJ1BssM.jpg

Especially since you lose 1/2 the weight to trimmed fat and 1/2 the remaining weight to water loss from cooking!

A 16lb brisket seems to end up being about 4lbs of meat...

Especially since you lose 1/2 the weight to trimmed fat and 1/2 the remaining weight to water loss from cooking!

A 16lb brisket seems to end up being about 4lbs of meat...

I get them at Walmart, and I'd say I lose about 2 pounds from a 12-13 pound brisket. At the grocery meat counter, it's 8.99 a pound, but it's really well trimmed.

As promised, pics of the 5 lbs of Thai turkey jerky and the ham and cheese fatty I smoked yesterday.

Here's the jerky loaded in the smoker and ready to go:

DdAFOCc.jpg

2 hours @ 180 with the extreme smoke option:

NuXVXo4.jpg

4 hours and all done:

PcQDuX7.jpg

Man, this stuff is delicious!!

AVf95zw.jpg

So here's the fatty with its bacon weave after sitting overnight in the fridge:

bkL4J0M.jpg

Rubbed up and ready to go in the smoker:

NCalO2I.jpg

I cooked it at 240 until it hit 160 internal temp, which was about 3 hours.

After the 1st hour:

FHvWPIi.jpg

After the 2nd hour:

KUwt0kh.jpg

After the 3rd hour:

QOCGA9K.jpg

Then I let it rest for about 15 minutes before slicing:

IuM9Cme.jpg

Pulled a piece of salmon out of the freezer that was left over from one of my other smoking sessions, smoked it with cherry wood for an hour. I usually brine over night, but this was such a small piece I didn't feel that it needed it.
IMG_20170619_203341970_TOP_zps2bonfmgb.jpg

Great flavor and seasoning, and only took an hour to be cooked through
IMG_20170619_203635107_zpsuiuzd0eh.jpg

Paired with fresh asparagus, and Trader Joe's Organic Shells and White Cheddar sauce, and paired with my homemade Chardonay
IMG_20170619_204211169_zpsfmeatx7y.jpg

three racks of baby backs, atomic buffalo turds and fresh caught lingcod this past weekend for Father's Day. Also fresh caught dungeness crab.

Interesting problem I had with the ribs...have never had this happen before. I bought the Costco three pack of baby backs that are sealed in plastic. As I went to prepare them I discovered that the membrane was too thin to remove. Every time I got a handle on it, it would just tear. I tried and tried and no matter what I did I could not peel it off. Usually I can grab the thing and peel it all off in one go. At one point I started questioning if there even was a membrane at all. But there was; it was easier to see after they were cooked. I eventually gave up and went about my cook. No poor results because of it, but it was very frustrating as I have never cooked ribs with the membrane still on. It was so thin that it was hardly noticeable when eating.

Has anyone experienced this?

three racks of baby backs, atomic buffalo turds and fresh caught lingcod this past weekend for Father's Day. Also fresh caught dungeness crab.

Interesting problem I had with the ribs...have never had this happen before. I bought the Costco three pack of baby backs that are sealed in plastic. As I went to prepare them I discovered that the membrane was too thin to remove. Every time I got a handle on it, it would just tear. I tried and tried and no matter what I did I could not peel it off. Usually I can grab the thing and peel it all off in one go. At one point I started questioning if there even was a membrane at all. But there was; it was easier to see after they were cooked. I eventually gave up and went about my cook. No poor results because of it, but it was very frustrating as I have never cooked ribs with the membrane still on. It was so thin that it was hardly noticeable when eating.

You should try smoking with the membrane on and then doing a quick sear at the end. After everything I had read, I took that to be rib blasphemy, but this thread convinced me otherwise. I tried it and everyone said they were the best ribs they'd ever had.

I had this issue on one of my 6 racks of baby backs that I did over memorial day. I fought for over an hour to get the stupid membrane off and only a small amount of it even tore off, eventually I accepted defeat and was happy that I did get the membrane off of the other 5

As promised, pics of the 5 lbs of Thai turkey jerky and the ham and cheese fatty I smoked yesterday.

Here's the jerky loaded in the smoker and ready to go:

DdAFOCc.jpg

2 hours @ 180 with the extreme smoke option:

NuXVXo4.jpg

4 hours and all done:

PcQDuX7.jpg

Man, this stuff is delicious!!

AVf95zw.jpg

So here's the fatty with its bacon weave after sitting overnight in the fridge:

bkL4J0M.jpg

Rubbed up and ready to go in the smoker:

NCalO2I.jpg

I cooked it at 240 until it hit 160 internal temp, which was about 3 hours.

After the 1st hour:

FHvWPIi.jpg

After the 2nd hour:

KUwt0kh.jpg

After the 3rd hour:

QOCGA9K.jpg

Then I let it rest for about 15 minutes before slicing:

IuM9Cme.jpg

ohhhhhh k - i need to make one of these fatty's this weekend! that looks great

ohhhhhh k - i need to make one of these fatty's this weekend! that looks great

I assure you that you will not be disappointed. We just finished the leftovers last night and already decided to do another one this weekend. This time we're going with a pizza fatty - Italian sausage topped with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni.

Damn - Lingcod AND Crab!? I'm quite jealous.

Whats your ABT recipe? Love those things and am always on the hunt for the perfect recipe:mug:

I am an hour an a half drive from where the fish and crab are. Hell, I can pay a small charter $75 for a four hour trip that will yield 12 crab, 8 rockfish and 2 lingcod. A few trips like that and your deep freeze is full.

I've only made them a few times. I mix Aleppo pepper flakes, garlic powder, fresh chives or shallots and hot pepper powder in the cream cheese. Other than that, jalapeño, cream cheese mix, lil smokies wrapped in pepper bacon.

For tonight: Beef short ribs sliced thin.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1498104264.369206.jpg

@drgonzo What is in the fatty? How did you make it?

+1

Is that thing in a sausage casing? It sort of looks like it.

looks like saran wrap to me

The fatty is spicy breakfast sausage that's been rolled flat, filled with ham, cheese, and rub, then re-rolled into a sausage "chub," after which it is then re-rolled in a weave of bacon.

You can mix any combination of sausage/ground beef + toppings that you can think up. I'm making a pizza fatty this weekend.

For the ham and cheese fatty, I basically followed this recipe.

For the fatty rolling instructions I followed this post.

To weave the bacon I followed this post

Yes, that's plastic wrap, not a sausage casing.

I'm just going to warn you now, my family will not stop talking about the fatty.

I assure you that you will not be disappointed. We just finished the leftovers last night and already decided to do another one this weekend. This time we're going with a pizza fatty - Italian sausage topped with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni.

sweet justice - a pizza fatty! now i dont know what to do...

The fatty is spicy breakfast sausage that's been rolled flat, filled with ham, cheese, and rub, then re-rolled into a sausage "chub," after which it is then re-rolled in a weave of bacon.

You can mix any combination of sausage/ground beef + toppings that you can think up. I'm making a pizza fatty this weekend.

For the ham and cheese fatty, I basically followed this recipe.

For the fatty rolling instructions I followed this post.

To weave the bacon I followed this post

Yes, that's plastic wrap, not a sausage casing.

I'm just going to warn you now, my family will not stop talking about the fatty.

Awesome, thanks. Im from fort collins, i have the rolling a fatty part pretty well down ;)

I had this issue on one of my 6 racks of baby backs that I did over memorial day. I fought for over an hour to get the stupid membrane off and only a small amount of it even tore off, eventually I accepted defeat and was happy that I did get the membrane off of the other 5

Yes. My solution is to score along the bones. I sometimes then try and lift with a fork tine, but usually just leave them scored.

I used to do big summer parties where I'd smoke ~30 slabs at a time. Pulling the membrane on that many was a major PITA. One night in the garage I saw my fish skinners on the shelf and the light bulb went off. No trouble from there on out, no matter how slippery or small of a piece you're trying to grab. Just smoked 3 slabs on Sunday as well and spent maybe 60 seconds pulling membranes.

Fish Skinners on Amazon

81BXc46B-wL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back