Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might want to try supporting the center so it is "draped" over something at the beginning of the cook…...
That trick works very well. I use beer cans (partially refilled with water) to fit 3 racks of full spare ribs on my kettle smoker.

With the heat coming from the bottom on my/our electric smoker, would you want fat side down or up? Seems down would protect meat, but fat wouldn't drain through the meat. Thoughts? I think I am leaning towards fat up.

With the heat coming from the bottom on my/our electric smoker, would you want fat side down or up? Seems down would protect meat, but fat wouldn't drain through the meat. Thoughts? I think I am leaning towards fat up.

I read an article about this. Seems people are torn. Some say flip it every few hours, some say fat down to protect. One article did mention that there is no way for the fat to drain through the meat as the meat is too tightly "strung" for the fat molecules to drain through. So based on that I would say fat down. Would probably help it render better too

I don't think it matters.

FYI I was going to throw out terms, but you sound like you're new to brisket, so if any of this is too basic, my apologies.

Brisket consists of two parts, the "flat" and the "point". The "flat" is typically the portion that we're familiar with as sliced meat in corned beef and pastrami. The point is MUCH more fatty and can be more tender. Often this is discarded for things like corned beef and pastrami, and in BBQ we often use the point for "burnt ends".

For me, I generally find that the point (due to the high fat content) cooks a little bit faster than the flat. And because of that, I'll usually put the flat side down so it gets slightly more direct heat than the point. The brisket will often sit more comfortably on the grate that way too...

But again, I don't think it matters. And some people flip during cooking as well, which is an option. Some people also wrap in either butcher paper or foil, which is an option.

@bwarbiany , I appreciate the basic information. Not being a smoker myself (yet) I read this thread everyday just to gain knowledge. Every bit helps so thank you.
Till I take the plunge I'll just admire everyone else's meat....wait....:pipe:

FYI I was going to throw out terms, but you sound like you're new to brisket, so if any of this is too basic, my apologies.

Brisket consists of two parts, the "flat" and the "point". The "flat" is typically the portion that we're familiar with as sliced meat in corned beef and pastrami. The point is MUCH more fatty and can be more tender. Often this is discarded for things like corned beef and pastrami, and in BBQ we often use the point for "burnt ends".

For me, I generally find that the point (due to the high fat content) cooks a little bit faster than the flat. And because of that, I'll usually put the flat side down so it gets slightly more direct heat than the point. The brisket will often sit more comfortably on the grate that way too...

But again, I don't think it matters. And some people flip during cooking as well, which is an option. Some people also wrap in either butcher paper or foil, which is an option.

Like @inkleg I too appreciate the "dumbed down" version. I've read a bunch on smoking brisket, but just like doing your first beer and seeing og, fg, etc it can get a little muddled and your simple explanation helped simplify it

When I first joined HBT and was scrolling through "Today's Post" I came across this thread and got a good laugh out of the title because I did not equate it to smoking food, but more like rolling up some meat and smoking it like a cigarette.

Curious I clicked through only to find out I'm an idiot and you guys aren't smoking meat like that, but it still always made me chuckle when I'd come across it in my feed.

Well now I'm happy to say that I'm about to be one of you guys as I just purchased a new Rec Tec 680 and cannot wait for it to arrive!

Did a tri tip on the BGE tonight. Amazing! No pics. Never remember to take pics ... or is it that I hate people who post there restaurant cooked food on their media? Bit of both... don't be a guy who posts a picture of a burger on Instagram

Did a tri tip on the BGE tonight. Amazing! No pics. Never remember to take pics ... or is it that I hate people who post there restaurant cooked food on their media? Bit of both... don't be a guy who posts a picture of a burger on Instagram

Then they might as well shut down Instagram. That's what it's for :)

My cousin gifted us a big Weber kettle grill last year. Been too rainy to do much with it til now. Last night, KOTC did the inaugural run, with a 2-bone prime rib roast and indirect heat/homemade oak briquets. MAN that was the BEST prime rib I ever ate!

I made up Steven Raichlen's prime rib rub - peppercorns, kosher salt, dried rosemary, smoked paprika, run through the little coffee grinder til all blended and a nice consistency. Put a couple sprigs of fresh rosemary under the roast and some slivers of garlic and some fresh rosemary leaves in shallow slits in the fat cap. AWESOME good stuff.

Well now I'm happy to say that I'm about to be one of you guys as I just purchased a new Rec Tec 680 and cannot wait for it to arrive!

Nice! The Rec Tec was one of the options I considered when I ended up with a Kamado, and while I *love* the kamado, I am considering picking up a pellet grill at some point for the simpler weekday meals. Rec Tec is still the cream of the crop as far as I can tell in the "reasonable" range until you get into the super-premium brands like Mak.

Only thing that bothers me is paying $200 to ship it lol...

I made smoked leg of lamb for Easter, it was absolutely to die for!

IMG_20170415_143121273_zpsq5l3agkm.jpg

IMG_20170416_182116789_zpsvedfa6du.jpg

IMG_20170416_191351612_zps6sqp0mvp.jpg

Smoked with hardwood lump charcoal and cherry wood

Nice! The Rec Tec was one of the options I considered when I ended up with a Kamado, and while I *love* the kamado, I am considering picking up a pellet grill at some point for the simpler weekday meals. Rec Tec is still the cream of the crop as far as I can tell in the "reasonable" range until you get into the super-premium brands like Mak.

Only thing that bothers me is paying $200 to ship it lol...

Yeah, I did a ton of research and reading owner's posts in other forums before settling on the Rec Tec.

Even after the $189 shipping charge I think it's still the best bang (er smoke?) for your buck.

If I had to get something from a local dealer I would have had to pay the 9% sales tax, which I didn't have to pay on the Rec Tec.

Also, even though it doesn't say so on the web site, I think they send you over 100 lbs of free pellets with your purchase. At least that's what the bill of lading from the shipping company says. It has the pellets listed with a weight of 130 lbs.

had lamb once at a Moroccan or Indian place but I am pretty sure it was braised, tasted great.

the ones you made look fantastic. it's weird up here in ND the only lamb at the store comes in frozen, I may have to find someone who raises them and try to get it fresh.

For me the exact opposite is true. Correct there are two parts and it is easy to tell which is which by looking at it. The flat is much leaner and thinner (thus the opposite being true, more in a moment) and the point fatter and thicker. The flat sits on the ribs and the point wraps around up to ze neck. Being leaner and thinner if one wanted to have them cook at the same time one would seek a thicker flat. Most of this info from the Aaron Franklin video.

As for the opposite being true, being significantly thicker and fattier the point will cook slower and if you pull it at 195 the flat will likely be overdone depending on where it's positioned in the grill imo. If the flat is 195 the point likely wont be done depending of course on positioning on grill. Therefore I would thermometer the flat and then switch it to the point. Regardless, I would judge finish and pulling off grill by temp and nothing else. People win contests with low and slow and high heat, so no matter what one does pull it at the right temp. After posing the question I did some research and having cooked them both ways I am going to probably stick with fat side up and point lower in grill and flat above it hoping for them to finish at same time. I love the idea of flipping them to get best of both but I never open my smoker, ever. Might start though because I want to try spraying stuff on the meat.

As for the opposite being true, being significantly thicker and fattier the point will cook slower and if you pull it at 195 the flat will likely be overdone depending on where it's positioned in the grill imo. If the flat is 195 the point likely wont be done depending of course on positioning on grill. Therefore I would thermometer the flat and then switch it to the point. Regardless, I would judge finish and pulling off grill by temp and nothing else. People win contests with low and slow and high heat, so no matter what one does pull it at the right temp. After posing the question I did some research and having cooked them both ways I am going to probably stick with fat side up and point lower in grill and flat above it hoping for them to finish at same time. I love the idea of flipping them to get best of both but I never open my smoker, ever. Might start though because I want to try spraying stuff on the meat.

Hey, to each their own, my friend. My experience, and given I've only cooked maybe a dozen briskets tops over the past 3 years, is that the point tends to be tender more quickly than the flat. Pretty much every one I've done has been that way. That's not to say it came to temp more quickly than the flat, but it was done and tender at a lower temp and time than the flat.

That's one reason the point works so well for burnt ends. You pull the brisket off and both the point and the flat are done, and you cube the point, add more rub and add BBQ sauce, and put it back on the smoker for a few hours. All that fat keeps it tender and moist instead of it drying out (which can happen to a flat).

I also suggest NOT cooking to temp, but cooking to doneness. The "probe test", where you stick a probe into the meat and gauge whether the meat has tenderized or it's still tough, is my preferred method. I use my instant-read thermometer, more for shape/size than for temp reading. When the probe slides in with little resistance (once through the bark of course), it's done. I've actually had briskets where the point is done but the flat isn't that close, where I've cut the point off for burnt ends but left the flat on the smoker to finish.

@bwarbiany solid tip with the probe. I have to try that. Also thanks for the burnt ends recipe. Need to try that.

Dropped a 20 lb shoulder on the egg before I went to bed last night. Won't my friends at big brew be happy! Think I'm gonna use up the last of the pork broth I made for Ramen last weekend and some Tarè for the sauce. Tarè is a Japanese sauce made with sake, Rice vinegar, soy, mirin and chicken backs. You roast the backs until they are caramelized then deglaze the pan with sake. Add the rest and simmer for an hour. Salty vinegar that tastes like chicken skin, it's crazy good stuff.

Dropped a 20 lb shoulder on the egg before I went to bed last night. Won't my friends at big brew be happy! Think I'm gonna use up the last of the pork broth I made for Ramen last weekend and some Tarè for the sauce. Tarè is a Japanese sauce made with sake, Rice vinegar, soy, mirin and chicken backs. You roast the backs until they are caramelized then deglaze the pan with sake. Add the rest and simmer for an hour. Salty vinegar that tastes like chicken skin, it's crazy good stuff.

Sounds awesome. I might have to make the pork broth and Tare sauce

Dropped a 6 lb brisket flat on today at 7:30 and it's heating up wayyyy fast. It's gonna be done way earlier than I planned I think. It's only 9 and it's at 118. I have the smoker set at 215!! No real bark forming either 😕

Are temp probes really that effective in briskets? They seem so thin so part of me is wondering if it's not actually as warm as the thermo says

I never use a temp probe. I go by about what time I think it will be done based on experience, then start checking tenderness with a wooden skewer.

Dropped a 6 lb brisket flat on today at 7:30 and it's heating up wayyyy fast….
When finished, wrap in foil and place in a small cooler filled with rags or newspaper. It will hold temp for at least 6 hours, probably longer.

Are temp probes really that effective in briskets? They seem so thin so part of me is wondering if it's not actually as warm as the thermo says

Yes, absolutely. Yeah they heat up fast sometimes, for just a flat. that's why I use a temperature probe. I cook hamburgers, brats, hot dogs, all kinds of stuff in my smoker. I never guess I only use temperature for all kinds of meats, feel free to try the probe method. I don't see myself ever not using a thermometer, but you never know. I don't own a hydrometer though.

Relax don't worry have a home brew, when a high-quality probe says 195 in the center it's done. Or when you probe it and it's loose like butter it's done. I cook everything at 275 because I like to get things done quick. I have considered going lower because I would like a little softer bark sometimes.

By the way it takes a little time to go from 118 to 195 you will see

Hey, to each their own, my friend. My experience, and given I've only cooked maybe a dozen briskets tops over the past 3 years, is that the point tends to be tender more quickly than the flat. Pretty much every one I've done has been that way. That's not to say it came to temp more quickly than the flat, but it was done and tender at a lower temp and time than the flat.

That's one reason the point works so well for burnt ends. You pull the brisket off and both the point and the flat are done, and you cube the point, add more rub and add BBQ sauce, and put it back on the smoker for a few hours. All that fat keeps it tender and moist instead of it drying out (which can happen to a flat).

I also suggest NOT cooking to temp, but cooking to doneness. The "probe test", where you stick a probe into the meat and gauge whether the meat has tenderized or it's still tough, is my preferred method. I use my instant-read thermometer, more for shape/size than for temp reading. When the probe slides in with little resistance (once through the bark of course), it's done. I've actually had briskets where the point is done but the flat isn't that close, where I've cut the point off for burnt ends but left the flat on the smoker to finish.

I usually separate the point from the flat before cooking nowadays but used to cook them whole as well. For many of the same timing problems you guys have already mentioned I find it easier to cook them separate. It really does make a big difference in the burnt end department (if you're looking for really good ends) and you don't need to worry about drying the flat out in process. They do call them burnt for a reason and I've found that it's hard to get there without a dry-ish flat unless you've got a really good smoker going really low and really slow. Plus I can wrap one, both or neither whenever I feel like I need to without fretting over the other.

Last edited:
Smoker fail this weekend. I took the electric element out of a used, modified charcoal smoker and put it in my old electric smoker. The plan was to use the old one for electric and the newer model for charcoal. The element sat too low in the old smoker (I thought i modified it to sit higher, but obviously not!) The ribs sat for several hours and when I got home they weren't really cooked at all.

>8(

I'm thinking I should just put the element back in the newer smoker and dump the old one. I don't see me messing with charcoal very often, and it would need to be modified to really accommodate charcoal anyway. Too much going on to want to spend time doing that right now, and charcoal seems fiddly. I'm quite fond of just plugging it in and walking away.

Well, after some other chores I modified the legs on the old smoker and remounted the element to sit higher, and hopefully supply more heat than yesterday. I don't really want a second smoker taking up space in the garage when I am trying to get rid of things and make more space for brewing equipment and other hobbies. I feel like 1 smoker ought to do it.

But I still feel as though I owe it to myself to at least TRY a charcoal modification. I'm torn.

^^charcoal mod would be nice. That being said I personally wouldnt want a bunch of junk sitting around.

Help, i had a fail too. The corned briskets were set to expire yesterday so I threw them in at 275 rubbed with brown sugar. Small one up top temperature probed and bigger one lower. The small one was 180 and I think the big one was 170. I had to go to bed. Wrapped in plastic wrap and threw in the fridge. I am guessing since they got to 170 they are free of infection but what now. Reheat to 195 when cooked?

Btw after probing the meat with temp probe, I dont have the touch of you guys yet and will be sticking with thermometer as main gauge and probing as secondary for now. Excited to see where this leads.

had lamb once at a Moroccan or Indian place but I am pretty sure it was braised, tasted great.

the ones you made look fantastic. it's weird up here in ND the only lamb at the store comes in frozen, I may have to find someone who raises them and try to get it fresh.

I'm a huge fan of lamb, I've made smoked rack of lamb a couple times also, and it was phenomenal

IMG_20161226_200341310_zpsbyodwzey.jpg

Ok... One more question about brisket. I promise (I think). Still a newb on this.

I put the brisket flat on this last saturday at ~7am. Injected with chicken broth prior to smoking and rubbed with salt and pepper/ Got it past 150 without crutching. Had the water, steamer thingy with HB hefe. Brisket was top rack in mt MES. at 185 I cranked the heat from 225 to 275 cuz I noticed that I didnt really have a bbark when I opened the MES. Pulled it at ~4pm and (it was at 275 for probably an hour) wrapped in foil, blanket, cooler. Served aout 3 hours later. The thing was delicious. I definitely will be doing it again. That being said, it was a little drier than Im used to with brisket. My friends didnt seem to think so but when I asked my wife, she knows I prefer honest criticism she said it was a touch dry, and I agree.

Any suggestions on what to do? Would brining help? It was so close to being absolutely awesome, but the slight dryness bummed me out a bit. Also didnt have a terrific smoke ring, but had smoke flavor, so Im not overly concerned about that.

Tried doing a beef boneless roast.... failed pretty badly.. ended up being dry.

cooked at 240F to 140IT... then put in a pan with broth and cooked to 190 then pulled and wrapped for an hour... was still super dry.

UUtmzX9.jpg

n9Bdoqj.jpg

I'm a huge fan of lamb, I've made smoked rack of lamb a couple times also, and it was phenomenal

IMG_20161226_200341310_zpsbyodwzey.jpg

Got some info on process? I've tried smoking leg of lamb, but never a rack. I usually grill the rack of lamb instead.

What temp, what IT do you cook to, etc? Do you marinate or rub? Do you have a step to sear it afterwards? I can't imagine it's on there long enough to develop much of a crust at smoking temps?

When I do rack of lamb, first of all I trim off the entire big chunk of fat that's covering ~3" of the bone. I then marinade in EVOO, Santa Maria seasoning, and Herbs de Provence. Take it out and cover the bones with foil so they don't char, sear it over high heat, then move to indirect until I get a reading of ~125 IT (let carryover cooking get it the rest of the way).

Ok... One more question about brisket. I promise (I think). Still a newb on this.

I put the brisket flat on this last saturday at ~7am. Injected with chicken broth prior to smoking and rubbed with salt and pepper/ Got it past 150 without crutching. Had the water, steamer thingy with HB hefe. Brisket was top rack in mt MES. at 185 I cranked the heat from 225 to 275 cuz I noticed that I didnt really have a bbark when I opened the MES. Pulled it at ~4pm and (it was at 275 for probably an hour) wrapped in foil, blanket, cooler. Served aout 3 hours later. The thing was delicious. I definitely will be doing it again. That being said, it was a little drier than Im used to with brisket. My friends didnt seem to think so but when I asked my wife, she knows I prefer honest criticism she said it was a touch dry, and I agree.

Any suggestions on what to do? Would brining help? It was so close to being absolutely awesome, but the slight dryness bummed me out a bit. Also didnt have a terrific smoke ring, but had smoke flavor, so Im not overly concerned about that.

1: You won't get a smoke ring from the MES.

2: Tough to say. Brisket is an art, and I find way too often that it's more dry than I prefer. Brining might help. Foiling or butcher paper might help (although with foil you get closer to that "pot roast" texture going). I like the moisture when foiling, but usually try to avoid it. And IMHO finding a thicker brisket helps too.

How did you measure doneness BTW? I find if it's just a bit underdone, often you end up with dry tough side. When overdone, it's dry and falling apart. Hitting that perfect middle where it's tender and moist is sometimes not easy...

Latest posts

Back