Who is brewing on Long Island?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.beerhbc.org/
5A8B4430-8CB6-4EA2-9AFF-28B0BC0C950D.jpeg

Here is one of those local competitions. Just $8 per entry (some ask for $10).
https://www.beerhbc.org/

Saint James has finally jumped through all the hoops and is opening their new tasting room this Saturday in St James on 25A. It is the same day as the St Patrick’s day parade, so get there early or wait till Sunday. ;) The brewery is still in Holbrook.

I am brewing an Oberon clone tomorrow in hopes that the lockdown will be over before the nice weather arrives. I bit the bullet and paid the shipping from bells for there house yeast to make it as close as possible. I made a nice size starter and have extra if anyone wants. From what I understand they use it for all of there non Belgium beers including 2 hearted. Stay safe everyone

How humble is this guy how can u not make this beer after watching this.He posts the recipe on the Bells website

Last edited:
I am brewing an Oberon clone tomorrow in hopes that the lockdown will be over before the nice weather arrives. I bit the bullet and paid the shipping from bells for there house yeast to make it as close as possible. I made a nice size starter and have extra if anyone wants. From what I understand they use it for all of there non Belgium beers including 2 hearted. Stay safe everyone

How humble is this guy how can u not make this beer after watching this.He posts the recipe on the Bells website

Mike,

Love the video. I brewed an ESB last weekend with WLP002. I plan to do a yeast dump from the conical today. I will swap you some a pint jar of WLP002 for it. Let me know.

Tom

Thank you Mike, that is a very generous offer. I hope everyone that has a little spare time during this is getting a little extra brewing time in.

I trust everyone is getting through okay, and if you’re working from home that you can get a little extra time for brewing into your schedule. This is a link to Facebook regarding virtual big brew day May 2. Bluepoint has a sign up for brewers through Facebook. The plan is to sign up and if you want you have an option to get gift of specialty malts and hops and whatever goodies they add. Pick up your supplies at the brewery on Friday. I hop the link is good if not I’ll edit it.
https://facebook.com/events/s/virtual-big-brew-day/

I trust everyone is getting through okay, and if you’re working from home that you can get a little extra time for brewing into your schedule. This is a link to Facebook regarding virtual big brew day May 2. Bluepoint has a sign up for brewers through Facebook. The plan is to sign up and if you want you have an option to get gift of specialty malts and hops and whatever goodies they add. Pick up your supplies at the brewery on Friday. I hop the link is good if not I’ll edit it.
Thanks! I was planning on brewing but had no idea there was a goody bag. This is awesome

Bluepoint has been supportive of the brewing community, even after being sold. So yeah, register and get the goodie bag!

Many if not all our LI local breweries are selling curbside and/or providing delivery so the past few weekends hubby and I pick two to get beer from, but next weekend I think WA Meadworks will get one of my purchases.

Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to see what they are going to have everybody brew.

Brew and Beyond is closing their Brick and Mortar. Says they are going to continue selling online, but frankly not sure what that means considering it's mainly set up to just sell equipment and not so much ingredients. Especially since he was the only guy selling Imperial that I was aware of in Suffolk. Sad times

The problem with liquid yeast purchased online is the summer shipping and maybe winter too. Yes, as far as I know, none of the remaining shops are carrying any liquid yeast. I guess the yeast I’ve saved will have to do.

FDE7AFA9-A511-4C88-BC2D-5565CF8885B0.jpeg

Supporting local, last weekend, even sat out at HopWins and had a couple pours. Tables were spaced out and things were kept clean, there was still plenty of parking.

The problem with liquid yeast purchased online is the summer shipping and maybe winter too. Yes, as far as I know, none of the remaining shops are carrying any liquid yeast. I guess the yeast I’ve saved will have to do.

yeah i still overbuild and save, but in general i havent had any problem ordering yeast online, whether it be from Northern Brewer or More Beer. I liked to buy local just to buy local, but even Brew and beyond didnt have the imperial i wanted most of the time. I have also ordered from Fermented in NJ, they used to carry Imperial and they would do sales as their yeast was nearing the best by date. got several packs for ~5 bucks each, 9 bucks after shipping with an icepack and it only took two days. I always make starters (unless using dry) so it's really never been a problem as it applied to beer quality.

Visited Jamesport brewery today, lots of outdoor space and one may bring their own chair.

Attachments

• 0A00F6AD-0E20-4C40-966A-183F6DC769FF.jpeg
    0A00F6AD-0E20-4C40-966A-183F6DC769FF.jpeg
    561.4 KB · Views: 12
Apparently Brew and Beyond is still operating online, but their portal for buying most things is pretty poor, at least it was last i checked.

Brew Brothers at Kedco is also an option, at least early on in closures they were doing pickup orders.

I know its off island, but Fermented in NJ (Shop | fermentednj) has been very good to be. i placed a decently sized order and almost immediately got an email if it was okay to ship the same day (Thursday) as it might arrive on a Saturday. it ended up arriving the next day, and this was with the free shipping option!

This proposed legislation is making its way around again. The hope is is could help LHBS have another income stream. the comment period closes in a couple days. This page allows you to support it (or not) with just a few minutes of time.
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2019/s7369

It’s a nice day for a ride... I’m heading East planning to checkout recently opened Tradewinds and make a stop at Mustache (you’ve probably read they’ve filed for bankruptcy protection) to lend support. Hope your day is good.

It’s a nice day for a ride... I’m heading East planning to checkout recently opened Tradewinds and make a stop at Mustache (you’ve probably read they’ve filed for bankruptcy protection) to lend support. Hope your day is good.

See it through at moustache is quite good , Idaho 7 and Citra. The mosaic mosaic eldorado one is decent but not as good as see it through

If anyone is interested I just saw my beverage store had a bunch of Three Floyd’s beers. They started distributing to Long Island. There Zombie Dust is pretty popular often cloned beer that was never available around here.

Patchogue beer project has become Darling Brewing. Has anyone checked it out? I did, and I liked what I had. He even makes a milkshake IPA that isn’t horribly sweet.

Thanks to @JohnSand for directing me here.

New to the forum, long time lurker. Brewing on the East End, Southfork.

Started brewing in March, about to move away from extract into full grain (and electric so I can shut my garage door) lol

Good to see so many Long Islanders!

Thanks to @JohnSand for directing me here.

New to the forum, long time lurker. Brewing on the East End, Southfork.

Started brewing in March, about to move away from extract into full grain (and electric so I can shut my garage door) lol

Good to see so many Long Islanders!
Welcome MikeTHIS. I’m on the South shore, but not as far East.

Just checking in!

Brewed two beers on Sunday!

MoreBeer’s Dark Hill Porter and a kit my sister got me for my birthday from Brews Bros in Farmingdale, Hoptimus Prime.

I’m 99% sure whatever extract kits I have on hand will be my last for a bit. Upgrading my brew kettle to an electric so I can close my garage when I brew this winter lol

I know there’s no shame in extract, but I want to try my hand at full grain.

The porter smells amazing. Fermentation kicked off a few hours in.

C1078994-F8DA-48DB-874E-7995C322D5A3.jpeg

Just checking in!

Brewed two beers on Sunday!

MoreBeer’s Dark Hill Porter

The porter smells amazing. Fermentation kicked off a few hours in.

I have the all grain version of this on tap now and it's a great beer honestly. I dont buy a lot of kits but I am glad I stumbled across that one, I only got it because it qualified me for free shipping.

Going all grain was the biggest improvement I ever made to my beer you wont regret it

I have the all grain version of this on tap now and it's a great beer honestly. I dont buy a lot of kits but I am glad I stumbled across that one, I only got it because it qualified me for free shipping.

Going all grain was the biggest improvement I ever made to my beer you wont regret it

I have my eye on the brewzilla, 220v. I wish I could spring for a Grainfather but my wife already wants to kill me lol

I am comfortable enough with the whole process now which is another reason I want to switch over.

I may do a grain kit from time to time, who knows. I’m on the east end so driving to a homebrew store will have to be an all day trip lol

I have my eye on the brewzilla, 220v. I wish I could spring for a Grainfather but my wife already wants to kill me lol

I am comfortable enough with the whole process now which is another reason I want to switch over.

I may do a grain kit from time to time, who knows. I’m on the east end so driving to a homebrew store will have to be an all day trip lol
Many brewers I know are happy with the Anvil. I’m mostly AG, but every once in a while, I get a quick brew day in with extract.

This month I’ve made it to 2 out of 3 HBC meetings. All three are planning a small holiday party (keeping with the guidelines) for next month... we shall see how many are actually held.

Have an enjoyable and safe Thanksgiving everyone.

Back