Who is brewing on Long Island?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody happen to have a water quality report for the Jericho Water District? They only send it out once a year so I'm hoping that somebody on here has it

Anybody happen to have a water quality report for the Jericho Water District? They only send it out once a year so I'm hoping that somebody on here has it
Try your library. I'm in Oyster Bay and the reference librarian has it on file for our water district.

On the Nassau County Water Authority website they only publish a single report but they do provide the Chief Engineer's name (Robert Swartz) and his contact phone number. He should be able to provide you with what you want. Link Below.

http://www.wawnc.org/cm/index.php?option=com_weblinks&catid=30&Itemid=23

I dont know about everyone else but I have crazy iron in my water. Toilet tank stained red...leaky faucet at someones house near me stained the tub red under the faucet. Always seemed to have a metallic bite to my beers. Last brew I tried Poland Spring and the bite was gone. I'm stickin to using it.

I just use RO water and adjust as necessary with salts. Big improvement since I starting doing that, though there is a cost for the water. I do small batches so its not big issue.

I think our water overall is pretty good I never had any issues with it in 3 locations
In the last 2 years I've been getting brown water out of nowhere. Has happened probably 3 times a year. I call the Water Dept. They check to see if work is being done in the area. It's always "no" Then they say someone must have opened a hydrant in the area. I'm not buyin that. Its happened in the dead of winter. The next day its back to normal. No idea whats going on but all plumbing in the house is new except the main out to the street.

Maybe 6 months back I was getting red rings in the toilet bowl but not of recent. My water in Northport is pretty soft and haven't had any problems brewing with it.

In the last 2 years I've been getting brown water out of nowhere. Has happened probably 3 times a year. I call the Water Dept. They check to see if work is being done in the area. It's always "no" Then they say someone must have opened a hydrant in the area. I'm not buyin that. Its happened in the dead of winter. The next day its back to normal. No idea whats going on but all plumbing in the house is new except the main out to the street.

Damn that sucks. I would look into a multi stage whole house water filter if that was happening to me I would not want to shower hoping the water is clean nor would I want to drink it.

like one of these
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Perfect...-Water-Filtration-System-HMF3SdgFeC/203515354

I had the same scenario many years back, until a major road improvement project was done and the main was replaced. Rusty water looks awful. Interestedly, the nearby fire house opens the hydrants to do whatever they do now and no discolored water.

I went to 1940's on Saturday and it was good as I typically find them to be, they had a Roggenbier that was a nice change of pace, the orange stout was pretty good, the wicked chowda was good as always they had a black IPA that was OK, they had a blueberry that reminded me of what Blue Points used to taste like, the Sinners Mass is always nice but tasted a little less roasty to me than usual but I still enjoyed it.

A5938CE8-884C-4486-9F31-61706188ACD0.jpeg

I’ve heard this is a good event.

I went once, and was not inclined to return. That is probably more a reflection on my preferences than on the event. There were extreme beers (Bourbon Barrel Hot Pepper Stout) and a lot of young people drinking as fast as they could. Not my scene. Also, for me, most beer festivals are overpriced. At around $100 per couple, I'd rather visit a brewery for a flight and dinner at a pub.
If any of you are seriously interested in going, I live in Rocky Point, maybe we can get together.

I totally agree with you about the cost, and being around other people in a rush doesn’t sound like much fun, either John. I might end up pouring at one of these types of events this year, but not planning to go to this one.

Most guys bring a bottle, some two. There are 12s, 16s, and more, but a twelve will give everyone a bit. My pint allowed some seconds. I bring what I have on tap. Sometimes it's a beer to confirm that it's good, sometimes to try to figure out what I did wrong.

Long Island Brewer here new to this side of the forum. Been a member of HBT for a while now, just never thought to visit here. West Islip, with basement 3 vessel 120v Herms system. Just finished putting the system together over the holidays, but have been brewing for a while using stovetop/burner/etc.

Finished my first test batch on the new system, a Citra/Amarilla/Mandarina Bavaria NEIPA, thats going in the keg tomorrow. Imperial Jelly Ring Stout small batch brew happening tomorrow as well, and then hopefully a Strawberry Milkshake IPA.

See ya'll at one of the Brew and Beyond meetups once i get some stuff in the kegs.

XU288I5.jpg

0TBlpJl.jpg

Stopped into Patchogue Beer Project this weekend very nice looking inside and the food smelled good I had 2 beers a NEIPA that was lacking and a Mosaic session ale that was pretty good. I don't think I would go out of my way to go have a beer here but I may have 1 if in the village.

I have found that several newer breweries need some time to improve. Mustache, Port Jeff, Crooked Ladder all failed to impress me when they started, but have improved greatly over time. Po' Boy wasn't great on opening day, I haven't been back yet. I went to Six Harbors in Huntington this weekend, a couple of beers were very good, a couple of others only decent. We always have fun though.

You see on the forum people go to Walmart or wherever and fill their water jugs with RO water from a water machine. I looked around and found nothing like that on Lng Island. Anyone know if a place like that exists on LI...I'm thinking not

You see on the forum people go to Walmart or wherever and fill their water jugs with RO water from a water machine. I looked around and found nothing like that on Lng Island. Anyone know if a place like that exists on LI...I'm thinking not
I never seen that in any Walmart that I been to on LI. I'm in eastern Nassau.

Well, I see many places that accept the 5 gallon deposit bottles, though I suppose it’s just for exchange. Have you checked Lowe’s and Home Depot?

FYI, BEER meets at the Brickhouse in Patchogue tonight. I stopped in at the Patchogue beerworks before they had their short lived shutdown enforced by the village, and sampled eight, liked two. Will go back sometime as they will be collaborating with other locals.

If you haven’t heard about the shipwrecked beer and how Jamie Adams of St. James Brewery was working to revive the yeast, here’s an article, including an amicable solution to a second brewery upstate getting a late start on a “similar” project.
https://www.newyorkupstate.com/news...from-an-old-shipwreck-it-just-got-deeper.html

I read the article, it's fascinating.
I do doubt that Adams has any legal standing to prevent others from using the yeast. I thought it was very cool of Serious Brewing to end their experiment out of respect.

I have had brief conversations with him about this “discovery” or perhaps “recovery” of viable yeast that has been at rest in the ocean. It took a great care and patience to culture the revitalized yeast from the dregs of 100+ year old beer. He gave a talk at Hopton last summer I believe. I have no idea how the yeast biz works, I would think one cannot patent a naturally occurring organism, but clearly one of the labs may want to name it and produce it for use if it has qualities that other available yeast are lacking. It’s pretty interesting to my nerdy side.

Those bottles are awesome I want one to display. Cool story and he got 3 different strains I sure would like to try one of the beers they make from them. Is this that short guy with the dark hair that works there?

Back