Who is brewing on Long Island?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric that's awesome. Would you know if they have tanks there too for cheap or a deposit? I tried Air Weld in Ridge when I lived near there and the old guy in there made it seem like it was a pain in the ass to him to do it so I never returned.

Hi Mike--He doesn't exchange but has a few for sale. Not cheap but he claims higher quality than the one I have been using. I am on lookout for a 20 lb tank to go along with my 5 lb. The 5 does fine to force carb and run my taps but everytime I start playing with using CO2 to purge kegs and and do oxygen free transfers I end up burning through half my bottle.

Eric, and everyone, we should meet soon. I brewed my first lager and want feedback.
Unfortunately, I am unavailable next Thursday when I think Brew and Beyond will have his bottle share (third Thursday)
But let us all keep it in mind.

I'm hoping to put a meeting together for Thursday. If it's small, we might meet at my house. Otherwise maybe the yacht club (Mount Sinai) or a bar. I know a couple of bar owners and managers where we have met before. Let me know who is interested. I'm in Rocky Point.

Sup guys, little late to the party I guess but why not post a reply. I'm just getting into the brew game. About a week into my first batch and super excited to see the result. Making an irish stout following the brewer's best kit from arbor. Lady there was awesome and very informative. Can't wait to get more into the hobby and start making all kinds of beers. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be joining you guys at any bars since I'm only 19 but just to introduce myself I currently attend Stony Brook University and am from West Islip.

Hey all....I'm going to be selling off all my home brew stuff shortly. Everything from an EBC III controlled biab setup, 15g spike kettle, 5 and 2.5g corny kegs, co2 district setup, etc etc etc.

I'd prefer to keep everything local so please send me a pm if you're looking for anything. I'll post everything in the general FS area soon but wanted to give the local crew a heads up.

checking in LI'ers. Tomorrow I will be dry hopping a simple singe hop pale ale using whole cascade hops I pickled up from Kinderbrook Creek Farms in Chatham NY - homebrewtalk member mfink519.

Really excited about this locally grown hop beer.

checking in LI'ers. Tomorrow I will be dry hopping a simple singe hop pale ale using whole cascade hops I pickled up from Kinderbrook Creek Farms in Chatham NY - homebrewtalk member mfink519.

Really excited about this locally grown hop beer.
once a year you can get wet hops out east, I looked into it this year but they were sold out. You need to pre order them

It's pretty much "once a year" no matter where you are ;)

fwiw, that's the one aspect that makes homegrowing worthwhile - availability of fresh green hops...

Cheers!

A much shorter drive than that trip upstate, @jonnyrotten. Good to know. The varieties I grow in my yard are kind enough to ripen at different times in the fall... The earliest being nugget. This year it was a couple weeks before another was ready for harvest. Of course, a hop farm growing 1 or 2 popular varieties isn't going to want to extend the harvest.

Thanks, will check them out when I think of what to brew next. Did an American ale and an IPA is in the fermenter. I like all beer so lucky I'm not limited in that sense. Looking to keep things easy but do different styles until I figure out what I like to brew the most.

Homebrew and Handgrenades. Free book library. Lots of experience. Bottle swaps monthly. Call in advance for yeast inventory / delivery dates. Fine line between a store and a club.

Last edited:
welcome. i grew up on East 3rd between Weston and Winnecomac. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Kedco on Smith Street in Farmingdale, which would be a quick back road trip from DP. Dave is very helpful.

Brewers East End Revival (B.E.E.R.) meeting is tonight (1/15) at the
Pour House in Port Jeff Station, at 7:30. We share HB once the meeting is officially over.

Anyone have a recommendation for a propane supplier in suffolk? Read elsewhere that propane suppliers could be cheaper than home depot or lowes

I did Google for my area (Deer Park) but the places near me had some pretty bad reviews.

Thanks,

Are you looking to refill your tank or do a tank swap. I am in Northport and always get my tanks refilled. I go to Advantage Rental Center on Jericho Tpke just west of Larkfield Rd. Regular price for a refill is 17.95 but they always have a coupon for 15.95 in that coupon book you get in the mail.

Also, I think Piranti Farms in Dix Hills (Deer Park Rd just south of Jericho Tpke) does a tank swap. Not sure what they charge.

The difference is a tank is 20#. A new tank is only filled to 15# for whatever reason. If you get a tank filled they fill it to the full 20 pounds or at least they should. So if you do a swap you loose 25% of the propane. I always get mine filled.

Its a bit of a scam not everyone knows about unless they read the tank label

Last summer there was a place filling tanks for around $13 with a groupon, I go to a supplier in eastern Suffolk that does better than that with a penny saver coupon. (Ideal off Horseblock Rd) That would be a haul from Deerpark though.

Last edited:
Last summer there was a place filling tanks for around $13 with a groupon, I go to a supplier in eastern Suffolk that does better than that with a penny saver coupon. (Ideal off Horseblock Rd) That would be a haul from Deerpark though.
Is that the little nursery on Horseblock between north ocean and 112? That's where I go. I live not far from there

I just saw its Ideal. I looked it up. In Bellport. That's pretty cheap. I only fill my BBQ tank once a year so the extra couple bucks for convenience is worth it for me. If I was brewing propane I'd take the ride for the savings

I'm in Riverhead, Been brewing a couple months now.
Almost ready to start my 5gal batches, got corney kegs and last week finally got 2 20lb co2 tanks and regulators after waiting on a seller for 2 months.

Brewing in East Patchogue and looking for more knowledge and trade drinks.

Last edited:
Hi Vincent, welcome!
East Patchogue is good, because Brew and Beyond just moved there. That's a homebrew store that has a meeting/tasting the third Thursday of every month. I try to go often, nice guys and good beer. He's at 674 South Country Rd, the proprietor is Dan. See you there.

Back