Who else hates ipas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With my current method, I got everything at hand. Pots, water, big freezer bags. Works like a charm! Not complicated at all, low budget and low effort mushroom growing

well damn if you want to use spent grains for mushrooms, compost them then just steam pasturize and grow white button/portabellos with it...they like compost and slightly infected, but not TOO infected substrate....no wood needed...

what kind of oyster shrooms do you grow, if i can ask? (and if you haven't, try enoki, when home grown nothing like store bought!)

I don't hate IPA. Rather I loathe people who drink only IPA.

What I really loathe is any hop that tastes like cat piss. The piss love needs to stop.

Other than that, I actually enjoy a good IPA, on OCCASION, not for EVERY SINGLE BEER I DRINK.

I fully agree with your sentiment, nothing bothers me more than checking out a new brewery and seeing a 10+ beer draft list and they're all iterations of hazies; there's no creativity IMO. I'm big into malt-forward styles and have been loving any and all lagers for the better part of the last 5-6 years. The last time I enjoyed a hazy was when Tree House was still in a shed in their old location, but the explosion of the style and so many bad examples flooding the market completely turned me off years ago. I think Maine Beer Co still does IPAs right and I'll opt for a West Coast style every once in a while, but get me a Bo Pils on a hot day and I'm a happy camper. The only thing I don't agree with you on is your comment "God i have a request, destroy ipa and make beer great again." To each their own and there are certainly people who enjoy the style and we shouldn't wish them not to have it just because we don't like it.

I'm with him...but I won't brew them anymore...I'm currently in my lager phase of brewing.
I never outgrew my lager phase. OTOH, I have been known to have flirtatious encounters with other archetypes. Variety being the spice of beer appreciation, I suppose it will ever be so...

I fully agree with your sentiment, nothing bothers me more than checking out a new brewery and seeing a 10+ beer draft list and they're all iterations of hazies; there's no creativity IMO. I'm big into malt-forward styles and have been loving any and all lagers for the better part of the last 5-6 years. The last time I enjoyed a hazy was when Tree House was still in a shed in their old location, but the explosion of the style and so many bad examples flooding the market completely turned me off years ago. I think Maine Beer Co still does IPAs right and I'll opt for a West Coast style every once in a while, but get me a Bo Pils on a hot day and I'm a happy camper. The only thing I don't agree with you on is your comment "God i have a request, destroy ipa and make beer great again." To each their own and there are certainly people who enjoy the style and we shouldn't wish them not to have it just because we don't like it.
Yup, i walked into my towns brewery/ tap toom for the first time, looked that the menu written in chalk and noticed no pilsner but had 4-5 ipas i asked you have a pilsner? They looked at me like i kicked their dog and shook his head🤷🏻 I wont be going back and i want to support but i cant drink what they are serving, they had a brown ale which was good but my brown is better oh and they didn’t have a stout on tap cant trust em

I made a few DIPAs, drank a few I bought. Just not my thing.
All the beers I do like buying have easy-to-read labels as far as I know. I could be missing out on a nice stout though if they are selling them in the comic book art cans because my eyes just pass over all the fancy cans.

IPA has become the new Merlot. I used to love them and brewed them all the time. Now it's a way over done category. Yeah, totally "hipster" now IMO. Plus all these "hazy" or "juicy" versions...every brewery trying to out do the other brewery. The IPA has just become too bastardized now.

I like west coast IPAs and I like hazy IPAs. Two entirely different animals. In the first case, it needs to be more than a mere bitterness bomb. A few too many are just an IBU dick-measuring contest. Bitterness for bitterness' sake. It has to have flavor & aroma, too. With hazies, I like that you can have lower bitterness and still have a face full of hops goodness.

I drink many styles of beer, and there are very few I don't like. Life's too short to worry about what others are drinking.

I like west coast IPAs and I like hazy IPAs. Two entirely different animals. In the first case, it needs to be more than a mere bitterness bomb. A few too many are just an IBU dick-measuring contest. Bitterness for bitterness' sake. It has to have flavor & aroma, too. With hazies, I like that you can have lower bitterness and still have a face full of hops goodness.

I drink many styles of beer, and there are very few I don't like. Life's too short to worry about what others are drinking.
I am definitely not worried what other's drink they can drink rams piss if they want, just a mindless post on the mindless thread

Sorry, I wasn't directing that at you specifically, just my general thoughts on the styles. But yeah, I do scratch my head when I see some of the trends out there.
No, dont be sorry its cool man, its a silly thread i started and really the truth is people should drink/brew what they enjoy, at the end of the day thats all that matters, and i will still brew ipa for friends and family cause they like it and keeps them away from my pils 😉

Yup, i walked into my towns brewery/ tap toom for the first time, looked that the menu written in chalk and noticed no pilsner but had 4-5 ipas i asked you have a pilsner? They looked at me like i kicked their dog and shook his head🤷🏻 I wont be going back and i want to support but i cant drink what they are serving, they had a brown ale which was good but my brown is better oh and they didn’t have a stout on tap cant trust em
IPA has become the new Merlot. I used to love them and brewed them all the time. Now it's a way over done category. Yeah, totally "hipster" now IMO. Plus all these "hazy" or "juicy" versions...every brewery trying to out do the other brewery. The IPA has just become too bastardized now.
*(channeling my wife's best Paul Giamatti impersonation):

"We can go on the brewer tour, but we we won't be drinking any f@*%#$ing IPAs!"

I don't hate IPAs but I certainly don't drink then as much as I used to.. I don't like the ones taste like orange juice with all the pulp included but I can drink them if that's all that's available. I think that I'm starting to hate the term "IPA" though because it's become the opposite of what it was when I first learned about it. Back in the days of yore ipas were a counter-culture revolution against the bland watery beers that big corporations were shoving down our cultural throats, they weren't approachable so they created an "in" club of people that enjoyed the high bitterness, it felt like an elite group. Then at a time in my life when I was teetotalling and ignoring the world of beer ipa sold out, it became so popular that slapping those three letters on the package could sell any beer. Now I feel we've taken a step backward, the grocery store shelves are lined with craft beer but nearly every one is an ipa, the craft beer movement was born by people that wanted good beer in America and fueled by consumers that wanted to have a choice in what they drank, not just the illusion of choice between a plethora of identical light lagers and here are with only the choice between assorted light lagers or assorted ipas.
Back in the days of yore, The English produced IPA with a large dose of hops to ship to India! It was not some statement against another style of beer. It was a necessity to preserve the beer for the trip. I would rarely choose an IPA, but on a hot summer‘s day one could be refreshing If I’m in the mood for it.

Sometimes I go to the store to buy some beer. I look at the 30-40 craftish offerings and then grab my Coors Banquet and leave. Everything is an IPA. It's okay on occasion, but as a daily thing, not for me. As for Pliny being the top drawer, I still say Lagunitas Sucks is the best hopped beer I have ever had. :mug:

All IPA styles are far from my favorites but I don't hate them. I generally dislike several of the substyles. I hate the marketing approach that everything is an IPA if you want it to be. I'd like to see less IPA but I'm not losing sleep over here about it.

I've been thru this cycle several times now....

Started back in my teens to college years: Friends would grab cases of Busch "Latte" as it was bang for the buck. If you like Light American Lager it's OK, but as that was the ONLY style I'd ever had in a beer my whole life up to that point, I was never enthused.

Ironically it kept me from being a binge drinker in those days cuz I didn't know there was beer out there I liked ALOT better.

Fast-Forward a few years and I got served a Newcastle Brown on draught. First time in my life I wanted a second round, and started my journey exploring all the other styles.

Guinness, Beamish, Taddy Porter, Fullers, Boddingtons, even Bass ale burst the English doors open to me.

Then I started taking a hard look at "green bottle" import lagers. Find them on draught and they are pretty good... then I discovered the original Pilsner Urquell and true German Pilsners. Man, what a change from Light American Lager!

Craft beer was ramping up with a good mix of the "brown" styles, as well as proper West Coast IPAs. I was in the zone for several years where there were MANY browns, stouts, porters alongside these new-fangled IPAs.

I liked the piney, resinous, grapefruit characters. It was such a departure. Being a cannabis enthusiast as well, good hops smell like good "other green stuff" and that suited me just fine!

Then it was almost like creative fatigue set in. Brewers asking: What can you throw into a beer now these days? Milk stouts were good, but past that the pastry versions are a bit much for my palate.

Same goes for the "orange juice that has gone off". Hazy IPAs are just fine if you are looking for that off-OJ flavor, but it's never been my game and I don't know honestly why people gravitate towards it at all.

The resurgence of CRISP LAGERS in the craft scene has been great from my POV. Even a well made cream ale is just lovely.

I now go out of my way to find English Milds, Browns, porters, and good Czech pilsners when I seek out local craft brews. Thankfully Des Moines and Cedar Rapids have a few good offerings of these styles, and I buy a bunch when I have the ability.

The only IPA to me is a "classic" WC style, like Pliney and Stone. Summit and Boulevard in my neck of the woods do a good job with a westy as well.

That being said, when we talk about my OWN brews... the hop loads (especially dry hopping) for some of these recipes makes them a "special time" batch for me ($$$$).

English styles and continental lagers are much easier on the wallet hop-wise, and are MUCH harder to find in the wild with any frequency.

I brew them almost exclusively, and brew a WC IPA every 8th or 9th batch. Or just pick up a sixer of a good WC IPA when the urge hits me.

cue Huey Lewis and the News: "I know what I like" ;)

Even my IPA's tend to top out at .8:1 ratio. 1.065 is about 50 ibu, 1070 is about 55 ibu for me. I like to taste every part of the beer, not just the hops. I make maybe 2 of them every year.

I was actually serious :D

I found that you can grow shiitake and oysters pretty well without an autoclave. Just use minimum 20% of the substrate weight as inoculated grains and your good, but you have to use pellets as the substrate. These are already almost sterile.

More grains per substrate weight gives better yield due to more nutrients.

I was thinking about using spent grains for this, but I guess they get moldy too quickly without an autoclave.
I have successfully grew mushrooms with a simple pressure cooker to sterilize, iso alcohol and a bic lighter for the syringe, us homebrewers have a heads up cause we understand the importance of sanitation and sterilization, with mushrooms you really gotta be on point sanitation wont cut it completely, i dont know why i wrote this maybe just glad to meet a other mushroom grower cheers

I concur with most of the people on this board. I do not hate IPAs. I do hate the fact that upwards of 2/3 of all beers being made are some version of an IPA. Thsi is true even for brewpubs! It is rare to find a good traditional bock or an ESB or anything "old school" The other week I was in the mood for a good traditional brown ale and couldn't find one yet if I wanted something with peanut butter the shelves were stocked. Today you get donuts in your beer or bacon in your beer or some version of a sour. Variety is the spice of life and that used to be true in the craft beer industry. This is one reason I am reviving my homebrew career.

Last edited:
Back in the days of yore, The English produced IPA with a large dose of hops to ship to India! It was not some statement against another style of beer. It was a necessity to preserve the beer for the trip. I would rarely choose an IPA, but on a hot summer‘s day one could be refreshing If I’m in the mood for it.
Just wait until you get to the India Porter rabbit hole...

Clearly a lot of you have not tried the glory known as Green King IPA. Cough Cough

I am definitely not worried what other's drink they can drink rams piss if they want, just a mindless post on the mindless thread
I like an occasional west coast style but it's not at the top of my list of everyday beers.
This quote made me laugh, Beer Fest is still a favorite.

Back