white labs yeast looking nasty in vial...kaput?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaliBrewin

Reaction score
So my father was at the homebrew shop a month ago and asked me if i needed anything. i let him know that i need some eng ale yeast for a brew i had planned. he got me a vial of wlp002 as i requested, but i found out two days later that he had left it in his bag on the floor in the dining room. as soon as i found out i threw it in the fridge.

so basically, i have a vial of wlp002 that was left out for two days in 70F atmosphere before being placed back in a fridge. my concern is that its very CHUNKY. every vial ive had previously the yeast has been nice and viscousy at the bottom, and when i shake them theyre a nice smoothly blended tube of yeasty goodness. but this vial is just constantly chunky. :mad:

so my question to you guys is, should i:

1) make a starter with it anyway and see what happens

OR

2) dont risk it, toss it, get a new vial and eat the cost

any thoughts? cant bring myself to do anything without input from others..

Make a starter with it, it will probably be fine.

English yeast strains particularly WLP002 has a real high flocculation rate, and can clump together.

More than likely it is fine.

Had the same issue a couple weeks ago...very chunky. Made a mild with it, not starter, and it came out find. This yeast is flocs like crazy.

Very very clumpy due to it's high flocc characteristic, shake the heck out of it and make a starter.

Back