Which yeast would be better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHopRanger

Reaction score
I'm going to make an Imperial Stout with an ABV somewhere around 12-14% I'm thinking about using Wyeast 1028 London Ale, 1728 Scottish Ale or maybe 1084 Irish Ale. Which one should I use????

I think you can't go wrong with the Scottish Ale since it can handle Alcohol in the 12%abv range... The others fall at 10 and 11% respectively.

Of those choices I would go with the 1084 as it strikes the balance between ABV tolerance and attenuation. However, with any strain you will have to work to hit those numbers, and these strains more so than something like a 1056. In fact using two different strains might be a good idea, one of the strains from the Isles to get the character and 1056 to help get it to finish up.

I used 1028 in a 9% abv stout last year. I kept temps at 68 degrees and it finished out nicely but it came out fruitier than what I was aiming for. British yeast will generate more fruity esters and diacetyl than American yeast. Theres several yeasts that can handle 12-14% so the decision has to be made based on the flavor profile you are looking for.

Those aren't the most attenuative yeasts. You might want to go with WLP007 - very nice flocculation, good high attenuation, high alcohol tolerance... although honestly, if you want 12+% abv you might have to consider using a Belgian or a champagne yeast to finish it off.

I've heard that 1084 has significantly more problems with diacetyl with stronger beers... or is that dark beers? In either case, you're probably at risk.

Still, I like the strain but can't offer any experiential info since I've only used it in average gravity beers.

If you like the English esters, then use the 1028, but you might want to make your grain bill 5-10% sugar to make sure it gets some decent attenuation.

Those aren't the most attenuative yeasts. You might want to go with WLP007 - very nice flocculation, good high attenuation, high alcohol tolerance... although honestly, if you want 12+% abv you might have to consider using a Belgian or a champagne yeast to finish it off.

1028 has great attenuation. I consistently get around 80% with it, and it only takes a week to get there.

Back