Which Belgian is the most flexible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolvinMaine

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I have been trying experiments where I split batches and try different yeasts fermented at the same pitching rate and temp to get get a feel for the character they produce. I am looking to change it up a bit, and make several different beers from one yeast, but by changing pitching rates and temps, trying to see how much variation I can get. For example, I am looking to make a Belgian pale ale at a lower temperature and higher pitching rate to subdue the fruitiness and see how much it affects attenuation, but then using the same yeast and cranking it up to see how it works in a Saison. Any particular strains of the commonly available Belgians that you feel would work well for this? WLP 550/ Wyeast 3522 strike me as a good choice, but any other particular favorites that you think would work well?

They are all quite different. In general, higher temps will make the esters pop.

Look at the OG/attenuation data of each, as well as the temperature range and style the yeast is "typically" used for. Bracket the temps high and low and you can get the most difference in the same yeast.

Back