Where to buy Samuel Smith-style 12 oz bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeadyG

Reaction score
I've got an imperial chocolate stout in my fermenter and I'd love to bottle it in style. I'm really enamored with the distinctive shape of Samuel Smith's 355 ML bottles, and I'm wondering if it's possible to buy similar bottles anywhere. Of course I'm saving all the ones I drink but it's taking quite a while to to build up my collection. I've seen them referred to as Victorian-style bottles and described as straight-walled, but I don't know if there's an official name and I'm having trouble finding a retailer. Anyone know if they're available to purchase by the case? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

samuelsmithbottle.jpg

Just a WAG, but maybe give a call to Brit's Pub downtown Mpls? Been a while since I've been there, but that's the first place that came to mind. There are probably some other bars with decent bottled import selections that you could hit up for some Smith's bottles.

Just a WAG, but maybe give a call to Brit's Pub downtown Mpls? Been a while since I've been there, but that's the first place that came to mind. There are probably some other bars with decent bottled import selections that you could hit up for some Smith's bottles.

That's a good idea. I might shoot them an email, at the very least it couldn't hurt. Thanks a lot.

Incidentally, I reached out to Samuel Smith's importer, Merchant du Vin, to see if they could provide any info about the style of bottle or where they might be available for purchase and I was told that they are proprietary bottles made from a custom mold, which would certainly explain why it's so hard to find anything similar. Oh well.

it's just gonna be easier to buy em and drink em to get your bottles...

Some bars and restaurants post their beer/drink menus online. Maybe sift through some to find places that serve Samuel Smith bottled--target your search. Then call or email, tell them you're willing to swing by if they don't mind.

And stock up on some from the liquor store--good excuse to have a British ale night with your buddies. Total Wine carries a few varieties of Smith's.

Y
Some bars and restaurants post their beer/drink menus online. Maybe sift through some to find places that serve Samuel Smith bottled--target your search. Then call or email, tell them you're willing to swing by if they don't mind.

And stock up on some from the liquor store--good excuse to have a British ale night with your buddies. Total Wine carries a few varieties of Smith's.
Yes, I did actually find a local bar managed by a friend of a friend that sells SS bottles. He said he'd put some aside for me, but cautioned they don't sell that much of it. Guess I'll be going over there after work over the next few weeks to help empty some bottles!

Back