Where does everyone get their grains and hops??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtbrewshop

Reaction score
Does everyone just go to a local brew supply store? I find in B.C. there are only a couple that I'm aware of and they are both too far away...

You can order online. Just check around for the best deals on shipping. Some places have really high shipping prices.

I prefer to go to my LHBS. I pay a tad more but he is always there, close to work, and will crush my grain while I have a pint as it is a brewpub as well.

For online retailers Austin Home brew supply is good choice.

For small amounts of the limited grains they stock I go to the lhbs. I plan ahead when I plan to go to a town where there is a larger brew store and buy in larger quantities or buy grains that aren't available locally. The one I go to buy large quantities is 150 miles away so I don't go often.

I use Northern Brewer online. Their Milwaukee store also happens to be my LHBS. But their 7.99 shipping is about the same as the gas to drive there and back.

wow thanks for all the info! Sounds like online sales is where its at... brand new member to brewtalk, so pretty cool to get such quick replies. thanks again!

I use Northern Brewer online. Their Milwaukee store also happens to be my LHBS. But their 7.99 shipping is about the same as the gas to drive there and back.

apparently you don't live in China currently?

My lhbs, 35 out the door for briess 2row and whenevr i go for the specialty grains he'll crush the 2day row i need for that particular batch since i dont have a mill yet

onthekeg said:
apparently you don't live in China currently?

Because my family didn't originally locate with me, I've gotten 2 week conjugal visits every 2 months. So I brought NB extract kits back with me. However the rest of the fam is moving after the holidays. So on my last visit home, I brought enough hops, yeasts, and specialty grains back with me for at least a year worth of brewing. I just need to buy base malts locally in China. Grain mill, mash run, cornies, and some other equipment is in my shipment of household goods (no food in the shipment, this I carried that over in luggage). NB has done quite well with me the past year.

Check out your local brewpub. I pay$32 for a sack of TF Marris Otter. They might even sell you bulk hops too! Throw back a few pints and see what they say.

they are both too far away...

I would agree with you living in the Valley, but a trip to Dan's Homebrewing every once and a while would be worth it. He sells bags of malt for a very reasonable price. His prices overall are very competitive and he has a great selection considering the size of the market.

Alternately, seeing as you live in Abby, get a PO box in Sumas and have stuff shipped from US places like the ones other posters have listed above. I have a PO box in Point Roberts and have stuff shipped there all the time. I just declare what I have with CBSA when I cross the border. Haven't paid a cent of duty in four years.

Another option is ordering from Canadian mail order places. There's a place called HopDawgs in Vernon that has a good selection of stuff. Mind you, the shipping costs are higher from there to Van, than to have packages shipped from, say, Northern Brewer in Minnesota to a Sumas PO Box.

:mug:

I've gotten my Canadian pale from Bedford brewing in Esquimalt. $38 a bag. It depends on where you are in good old Supernatural BC. If you dont have a good local shop, Hopdawgs is probably your best bet as they ate one of the few Canadian online retailers. Beats the heck out of paying an arm and a leg to get things shipped from our friends down south.

WestCoastHopper said:
I've gotten my Canadian pale from Bedford brewing in Esquimalt. $38 a bag. It depends on where you are in good old Supernatural BC. If you dont have a good local shop, Hopdawgs is probably your best bet as they ate one of the few Canadian online retailers. Beats the heck out of paying an arm and a leg to get things shipped from our friends down south.

Are, not ate. Too much porter.

I get my grains from our one and only on island LHBS. Hops and yeast I get from MidWest. Their prices are low enough to make up for the shipping costs. Saved about $9 on the last order. Once in a while I have to buy a pound here and a pound their of grain that my LHBS doesn't carry.

I get my hops online and grains locally. The shipping on grain is just too much. Although my LHBS is not really close by my neighbor is on the rd quite a bit and will stop and get things for me for a few pints of beer.

When I did a moose drool clone recently, I compared total price from NB, MS, and MB, and more beer had the better price, if that helps yoi

Midwest Supplies is my closest LHBS, so I go there exclusively. Plus, their service and prices have always been great, so I've never been tempted to check out Northern Brewer, which also has locations around here. Gotta appreciate that they said they'd special order a sack of Rahr Pale Ale malt for me when I get my mill (they used to carry it but didn't see enough turnover to guarantee freshness). Love that place.

Just bought two sacks of 2 row. More beer has a 15% off sale twice a year. I try to make my large purchases at that time. I will hit up my smaller LBHS for everything else i need. I like to spread the wealth........:)

I have been ordering grain from 50pound sack.com. Their prices are not super cheap but they include shipping. I get my hops mostly from hops direct the prices are usually good.

I buy hops and dry yeast from Farmhouse...grains local most of the time. Just went to another LHBS and they were better then the one in Raleigh.

Love2brew has 50 pound sacks of grain cheaper than 50poundsack.com and a good selection of hops. If you get a 50 pounder with hops and yeast and anything else to get your order over 75 bucks it all ships free.

I prefer going to my local homebrew shop to get my grains and hops. I have also gotten to know a brewer at a local brewery and was more than happy to let me purchase grains from/with him from his supplier (in 50 or 55# sacks). Get to know you local brewers, I always bring some of my beers to the brewer to let him taste and give me feedback as his palate can taste more layers than mine

My local Whole Foods has grain, extract, yeast, hops and anything else you may need and the LHBS is just around the corner from them if they do not have it. I would like to support the LHBS but they are way over priced. I know I just said Whole Foods is cheaper but it is. I have not needed to order any thing but hardware from the web, but if I had to Morebeer is close and they have been good for other things.

Latest posts

Back