when to take out the vanilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrock430

Reaction score
I'm making a vanilla coffee stout, 1.08 to 1.024, american style with plenty of roast/bitterness. I'm currently adding vanilla by putting a split bean in a hop bag in a keg and removing when @ the right level. I'll dry hop with 2 oz cracked coffee for a day.

Question is, when should kill the vanilla? I'm on day 7 and I'm getting aroma but little flavor. Any idea what level of vanilla is best? especially given I'm adding coffee. How quickly does vanilla fade?

When I use vanilla I soak it for a couple of weeks in Vodka, and add it when I bottle.
The only concern I have with your method is the constant exposing of your beer to Oxygen while taking a sample, unless you are keeping it under CO2.

When I used 5 vanilla beans soaked in alcohol in a Porter (bottled) the aroma faded as the weeks turned into months. As for the flavor, they tended to blend over time and I don't think it was worse several months later.

Latest posts

Back