Vanilla Bean (Tincture)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OtisLamb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I will be adding vanilla (bean tincture) to my next beer.

I have read/seen how to create a tincture from vanilla beans.
Some recipes say just split the bean and cut it into chunks and put in the [vodka] liquid and let it soak for a couple of days or weeks.
Other recipes say to split the bean, scrap the insides, cut it into chunks and put all of it into vodka to soak for a couple of days or weeks.
After the appropriate time frame, you decide [too long a time and it turns into an extract], pour the tincture through a screening material [cheese cloth, etc.] to remove the particles and store the tincture in a tightly sealed mason jar.
OK. I've got that part, in my lil noggin'.
( How to make a Tincture, Cocoa Nib, Vanilla. - YouTube )

I have a question for you brewers:
"How much [volume] tincture liquid (ounces) do I add to my primary fermenter?"
(In this instance I am making a 2.5 gallon brew.) Is there a rule of thumb; ie. X ounce(s) per gallon?

Some will say to just add the vanilla bean (and parts) into the fermenter, but, I have an issue with this.
Once the vanilla has been in the beer long enough [tested to taste], the vanilla bean should be removed from the beer.
I am really not sure how to do that.
Do I put the bean and parts in a bag/sack so I can fish it out and remove it?
Or, do I transfer the beer into a secondary fermenter and/or package it (keg, bottle, etc.)?

I have a question for you brewers:
"How much [volume] tincture liquid (ounces) do I add to my primary fermenter?"
(In this instance I am making a 2.5 gallon brew.) Is there a rule of thumb; ie. X ounce(s) per gallon?

It will all depnd on the strength of your tincture and your personal preference/goal. One way to do this is to dose a small sample of a similar beer with a pipette, find the sweet spot, then scale up. Here's a cheat sheet in my homebrew club's library that can help with the scaling up part.

Flavor Sample Dosing

It will all depnd on the strength of your tincture and your personal preference/goal. One way to do this is to dose a small sample of a similar beer with a pipette, find the sweet spot, then scale up. Here's a cheat sheet in my homebrew club's library that can help with the scaling up part.

Flavor Sample Dosing
Thanks for the handy table. I will print it and use it as a 'guide'.

too long a time and it turns into an extract

Not sure what the difference between tincture and extract is. I have a vodka tincture that has been on the beans for maybe 9 months. I would not hesitate to use that. I guess it is likely 100% extracted so letting it sit in the beer for a while would provably not change the taste much from the time it was added.

What I understand is the difference depends on the amounts of liquid , solids , and liquid agent used determines extract or tincture.

Extracts could be made with alcoho l, oils or other liquids that aren't alcohol. Tinctures are made with alcohol and are typically stronger then extracts. Extracts are 1 to 1 ratio , where Tinctures are 1 to 3 parts alcohol ratio.

As @VikeMan stated , it really depends on your pallet. It also depends on the beer itself. I've found that I prefer 4 vanilla beans for my chocolate milk stout. I tried 2 at first but had to bump it up. Could be because I also use nibs as well. That's for 5g batch .

I split , scrape and chop as well . I've brewed a 2bbl batch and used approx 40 beans and 40oz of nibs. That was tedious lol.

Back