When to remove hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckinin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For brewers who use a nylon bag to contain hops during the boil, when do you remove the hop bag? At the end of the boil or do you leave it in while cooling the wort? I've always removed it at the end of the boil, but I wonder if I'm missing out on aroma by doing this. Those who add the hops right into the kettle don't filter them out until after cooling, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You generally leave the hops in while cooling, just as you would if you didn't have a bag. Hoppy beers tend to have hops added late in the boil- like 5 minutes, 1 minute, or even 0 minute. So, you wouldn't put them in and take them out of course- all the hops stay in until the wort is chilled and then the wort is transferred to the fermenter.

Some of us even use whirlpool hops- hops added after the boil and held in the kettle for 20 minutes or even more- for a great hoppy flavor and aroma.

Back