When to plant rhyzomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopsbrasil

Reaction score
Can I cut rhyzomes and plant right away? Or are they better off vernalized for a while ? (Put in refrigerator for a period of time)

I was wandering the same things, from what i can tell the rhizomes dont bud out in the late summer. I think i am gonna clone with some root tone when the signs come in.

Can I cut rhyzomes and plant right away? Or are they better off vernalized for a while ? (Put in refrigerator for a period of time)

Wait until the plants die back this fall and then make your cuttings and transplant. They'll vernalize in the ground over the course of the winter and start off with the head start of having some new root growth which took place last fall. If you live in an area that doesn't have a winter ~ you're on your own. Please report back how things went if this is the case.

Well, it is spring here in Brazil and I wanted to cut rhyzomes now. They cut them in the spring in US, but when I bought some they have obviousky been in the refrigerator for a while ..is it best to atkeast throw in fridge a little while?

I have recently been advised to work with plants opposed to rhizomes. Can anyone clarify ad to why.

Well, it is spring here in Brazil and I wanted to cut rhyzomes now. They cut them in the spring in US, but when I bought some they have obviousky been in the refrigerator for a while ..is it best to atkeast throw in fridge a little while?

In the US and other traditional hop growing regions, hops go through a dormant period (winter). Once the temperatures begin to warm up and the ground thaws in the spring, the plants are worked and trimmed up. The rhizomes that are harvested are kept refrigerated to help keep them in a dormant state so the buds won't elongate and start growing prior to shipping them. The winter conditions in these areas are usually enough to vernalize the crowns so no further vernalization is needed

Back