Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first brew.
My brew is now ready to bottle🎉
Guys will I get away with using still water bottles for bottling? My partner drinks loads of still water from the supermarket and it would be a shame not to re use the bottles for once lol. Just abit concerned about the carbonation process🤔. Thoughts please

Generally speaking bottles used for still beverages aren't designed for pressure. Plastic or glass? I would never use a glass bottle that came with a still beverage in it to carbonate. I have used PET water bottles as test bottles for carbonating beer and lived to tell the tale, just not the flimsy thin-walled ones.

Are you talking about the Still Water aluminum bottles with a screw off top? While it'd be better if you could use a new cap, you can always try and see if the used cap will seal well enough.

It's your beer, you can do what ever you want. Just realize a lot of the stuff we say and do for beer making is about risk mitigation. Also, if the stuff in them wasn't carbonated, then they might be too thin a aluminum to hold their shape under the pressure of carbonation. I'd probably try a few though and see. But you have to assess your tolerance and acceptance for the risks.

You might consider splitting the batch if you already have other bottles and caps to use. Or if this is only a gallon batch of beer, then 7 or 8 won't be a big loss if it's a total failure. And on the plus side, you get to brew again sooner to get more experience with everything.

My partner drinks loads of still water from the supermarket and it would be a shame not to re use the bottles for once

The real shame will be if the aluminum bottles are sent to the landfill instead of going to a re-cycling center or scrapyard when they are finally ready for disposal.

Last edited:
Are you talking about the Still Water aluminum bottles with a screw off top? While it'd be better if you could use a new cap, you can always try and see if the used cap will seal well enough.

It's your beer, you can do what ever you want. Just realize a lot of the stuff we say and do for beer making is about risk mitigation. Also, if the stuff in them wasn't carbonated, then they might be too thin a aluminum to hold their shape under the pressure of carbonation. I'd probably try a few though and see. But you have to assess your tolerance and acceptance for the risks.

You might consider splitting the batch if you already have other bottles and caps to use. Or if this is only a gallon batch of beer, then 7 or 8 won't be a big loss if it's a total failure. And on the plus side, you get to brew again sooner to get more experience with everything.

The real shame will be if the aluminum bottles are sent to the landfill instead of going to a re-cycling center or scrapyard when they are finally ready for disposal.

We use plastic bottles in the uk dude.
Yea sparking water bottles, there has been a carbonated drink in them, but get what your saying about risk, Seems everything t do with brewing is hard work and risk but I won’t let it stop me I love beer 2 much lol

Yea sparking water bottles, there has been a carbonated drink in them
Those should be fine. And then some. Probably good for up to 10 volumes of CO2. Sparkling waters and sodas are more highly carbonated than beer. The caps will probably fail eventually, but should be good for at least a few batches before they do.

Out of curiosity, why did you say "still water"? We took that to mean not carbonated.

Those should be fine. And then some. Probably good for up to 10 volumes of CO2. Sparkling waters and sodas are more highly carbonated than beer. The caps will probably fail eventually, but should be good for at least a few batches before they do.

Out of curiosity, why did you say "still water"? We took that to mean not carbonated.
Hahahar take it your from the USA also, yeah bro still water is not carbonated.

only use pet bottles with the crimped bottoms.

if you notice carbonated drinks in PET bottles almost always have the scalloped or crimped bottom. theres a reason.

dont ask me how i know.

1716411011237.png

1716411038857.png

1716411288345.png

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/pet-bottle-looks-like-a-grenade.731902/

Right. And you said still. So if that means not carbonated both here and there, then what exactly did you mean by saying "still water" when you were talking about bottles that came with a carbonated beverage in them?
Sorry I took your advice from your first post and bought some carbonated water pet bottles, Bottled my brew then come back on here hrs later, I was a little drunk and forgot to mention it 🙄 my bad lol

The only problem I have with PET water bottles is that they're clear. I wrapped the one clear bottle I use with duct tape to keep light away from the beer.

Latest posts

Back