When to Add???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingRugger

Reaction score
I want to add brown/ simple sugar to a batch that I am planning. I just don't know when to add the sugar, during the boil at ???mins or in the primary? And I am not sure how to calculate the sugar will affect my OG. Some help please!!!

I would add it to the boil at the end if it were me. It will dissolve well and the boil will make it sanitary. Extract brewing I assume?
Are you wanting to add the sugar to up the alcohol?

How do you calc your gravity right now? Is it a kit and you are using the published O.G.? Beersmith will do it and I assume that there are other software packages out there that would do it also.
Something like beersmith is worth the money. It doesn't cost a lot and in addition to the calc's it will do for your brew and helping you design a new beer, it works good for keeping notes as you go and after it's done if you want to keep notes about the taste or anything else you think is worth recording.

If you publish the recipe someone can calc it for you.

White sugar contributes about 45 points per gallon per pound. So add one pound of sugar to one gallon of wort, get a 1.045 OG. If you add 1 pound to 5 gallons of wort, it'll add 45/5=9 points to your OG.

Add it later if you want it to only affect gravity and not flavor. If you add it earlier you'll get some maillard reaction (like carmelization) that can add some of that flavor, which may or may not be desirable depending on the style.

I always add these at flameout, after the boil. Unless you are PURPOSEFULLY trying to get a carmelization flavor, you don't want to add undisolved fermentables while the burner is on.

I've always added after krausen starts to die down in primary (boil in about a cup of water first).I've read that adding the simple sugars might make the yeast lazy and not eat the chains.It is just heresay though.

I've always added after krausen starts to die down in primary (boil in about a cup of water first).I've read that adding the simple sugars might make the yeast lazy and not eat the chains.It is just heresay though.

I do the same. Seems to give my yeasties a little kick in the butt when they are starting to slow down. Gets me those last few gravity points and dries the beer out nicely. works well for my DIPA.

Also feel that it keeps from shocking the yeast with too high of an OG.

Back