When to add malt extract??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Crowhurst

Reaction score
Being a newcomer to extract brewing, I’ve been unsure on the topic of when to add malt extract during the boil... My friend and I are shooting to brew American style IPA, 12 litre boil size and 9 litre batch size, with light liquid malt extract. Is it best to add all the extract at the start of the 60 minute boil? Or split it with some 10-15 mins before the end of the boil??

Add about 10% - 20% at the beginning of the boil then the rest in the last 10 minutes. Always remove the pot from the heat and dissolve all the extract before returning to heat. This method will prevent caramelizing the extract giving it a roasted burnt flavor as well as darker beer.

Don't worry if the wort does not reach a boil after the last extract addition. You should be hot enough to sanitize.

Just a thought for future brews with similar recipe: for me using dry malt extract is easier and less likely to scorch or have a twang. Just add to the water as it heats and bring to a boil. I've dissolved it in cold water. There is less selection of malts in the dry form but if you are just using light then no problem.

I have put it all in at the beginning or split it up exactly like Floppy said. The last time I used extract, I put it ALL in after flameout. They all turned out fine.

Getting ready for late extract addition. I add about half the extract for the 60 minute boil. Usually try to have a 1.040 wort. Supposedly this gives the best hop oil isomerization. I add hot wort to the remaining extract to dissolve before adding near the end of the boil. I boil with the lid mostly on to reduce the amount of applied heat to maintain boil temperature. I turn the heat up when adding the late extract. This maintains the boil temperature for the timing of late hop additions. (A few minutes one way or another is not too important to me though.) Very little chance of the extract sinking to the bottom and scorching when it is already dissolved in hot wort.
resized176.jpg

Back