Quantcast

When talking about boiling, is it actually boiling?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

luis.salas

Reaction score
Ok, this is a reaaaaally newbie question. I'm almost ashamed of posting it. But, I'm not sure about this. When we talk about 60min of boiling, do I have to start taking the time when the wort actually starts boiling or it goes since I put the pan on the fire? Thanks and sorry.

RM-MN

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If you are really going to do a 60 minute boil your timer starts when the boil starts. Not all of us still do a 60 minute boil. I'll often just boil for 30 but I know the consequences and have learned to work around them.

AJinJacksonville

Reaction score
Agree with RM-MN; in the end, you can always do the iodine droplet test to confirm conversion as well.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, this is a reaaaaally newbie question. I'm almost ashamed of posting it. But, I'm not sure about this. When we talk about 60min of boiling, do I have to start taking the time when the wort actually starts boiling or it goes since I put the pan on the fire? Thanks and sorry.

LOL, i boil for 3 hours and i only start the 60 min timer when i toss the hops in......people have told me during cooling it's important to keep an eye on temp of the wort when adding hops.....

Tobor_8thMan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The boil time begins (60 minutes, 90 minutes, etc) after the hot break (all the foam rising to the top of the kettle). Once the hot break is no longer rising, adjust heat for a nice rolling boil and start the boiling clock.

AJinJacksonville

Reaction score
Was referring to the fact that as long as there has been conversion, efficiency can decline but you will still produce beer in the end whether it is a 60 minute boil or a 30 minute boil or a 22 minute boil. I had an entire conversation in my head based on the OP's post...just didn't come out as planned.

Brewbuzzard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Are you doing all grain AG or extract (big difference)? For extract your boil can fit your hop schedule. I have read a few articles about shorter boils even with all grain but I'm not going there yet, I still boil for 90 minutes and start adding hops at 30 minutes into the boil.

OP
luis.salas

luis.salas

Reaction score
Are you doing all grain AG or extract (big difference)? For extract your boil can fit your hop schedule. I have read a few articles about shorter boils even with all grain but I'm not going there yet, I still boil for 90 minutes and start adding hops at 30 minutes into the boil.
I’m doing all grain. I’ll take a look of short boiling. Sounds nice to save time. Thank you all for the information.

camonick

Mediocre brewer... Expert drinker
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The boil starts when I throw the first hops in. That may be at 212° or a bit below. Not lower than 190° though.
212° isn’t a good reference (unless you’re at or near sea level) because it varies depending on elevation for boiling point. I’m in Colorado and my water boils at about 205° and I can’t even reach 212°. I agree with the above and I start my boil timer when I have visible surface disturbance of the wort and I add my first addition of boil hops.

camonick

Mediocre brewer... Expert drinker
HBT Supporter
Reaction score