When talking about boiling, is it actually boiling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luis.salas

Reaction score
Ok, this is a reaaaaally newbie question. I'm almost ashamed of posting it. But, I'm not sure about this. When we talk about 60min of boiling, do I have to start taking the time when the wort actually starts boiling or it goes since I put the pan on the fire? Thanks and sorry.

If you are really going to do a 60 minute boil your timer starts when the boil starts. Not all of us still do a 60 minute boil. I'll often just boil for 30 but I know the consequences and have learned to work around them.

Agree with RM-MN; in the end, you can always do the iodine droplet test to confirm conversion as well.

Ok, this is a reaaaaally newbie question. I'm almost ashamed of posting it. But, I'm not sure about this. When we talk about 60min of boiling, do I have to start taking the time when the wort actually starts boiling or it goes since I put the pan on the fire? Thanks and sorry.

LOL, i boil for 3 hours and i only start the 60 min timer when i toss the hops in......people have told me during cooling it's important to keep an eye on temp of the wort when adding hops.....

The boil time begins (60 minutes, 90 minutes, etc) after the hot break (all the foam rising to the top of the kettle). Once the hot break is no longer rising, adjust heat for a nice rolling boil and start the boiling clock.

Was referring to the fact that as long as there has been conversion, efficiency can decline but you will still produce beer in the end whether it is a 60 minute boil or a 30 minute boil or a 22 minute boil. I had an entire conversation in my head based on the OP's post...just didn't come out as planned.

Are you doing all grain AG or extract (big difference)? For extract your boil can fit your hop schedule. I have read a few articles about shorter boils even with all grain but I'm not going there yet, I still boil for 90 minutes and start adding hops at 30 minutes into the boil.

Are you doing all grain AG or extract (big difference)? For extract your boil can fit your hop schedule. I have read a few articles about shorter boils even with all grain but I'm not going there yet, I still boil for 90 minutes and start adding hops at 30 minutes into the boil.
I’m doing all grain. I’ll take a look of short boiling. Sounds nice to save time. Thank you all for the information.

The boil starts when I throw the first hops in. That may be at 212° or a bit below. Not lower than 190° though.
212° isn’t a good reference (unless you’re at or near sea level) because it varies depending on elevation for boiling point. I’m in Colorado and my water boils at about 205° and I can’t even reach 212°. I agree with the above and I start my boil timer when I have visible surface disturbance of the wort and I add my first addition of boil hops.

The boil time begins (60 minutes, 90 minutes, etc) after the hot break (all the foam rising to the top of the kettle). Once the hot break is no longer rising, adjust heat for a nice rolling boil and start the boiling clock.
Ah.... good to know. Is there a specific reason to wait until the hot break? Any benefit?

Ah.... good to know. Is there a specific reason to wait until the hot break? Any benefit?
You are only talking about a couple minutes. I don't think it matters a lot. That probably bothers the more detail oriented folks though. Wait until after hot break to add hops so they dont all stick to the side of the kettle or wash them down if doing first wort hops. Start the timer when you add the hops. I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference between a few minutes of boil in a finished beer.

Am I the only one who just put on the lid, start the heat and check it now and then and when it starts to boil remove lid and start timer?
That’s what I’ve been doing. But Inspector Jon has a good idea. May be less hops stuck to the side of the pot the other way.

Back