When do you remove hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomVA

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I add my hops in a hops bag during the boil, and remove & squeeze the bag(s) immediately at the end of the boil (before starting the cooling). If I left the hops bags in during the cooling I'm sure I would get more hops character (bitterness and flavor) due to the longer exposure to the hot wort. So my question is, what is standard practice and assumed in most recipes - leaving the hops in during cool down or removing them after the boil?

TomVA

Here's my take on this,

I did use a hop sack on my first few brews, but soon realized that I might not be getting full utilization of my hops that way. Since then, I just toss my hops directly into the wort, no hop sack, and don't worry about it. In the end, I whirlpool and drain to the fermenter. If some hop material makes it into the fermenter, so be it. If the beer needs a dry hop, that goes directly into the fermenter also. In the end, I cold crash to drop any hop material or yeast out of suspension and keg. I like to keep things simple with hops!

I used to just throw the hops in the kettle like @Konadog, but once I started using ball valves, pumps, plate chillers, etc it became a giant pain to keep everything from getting plugged up in just about all types of beer (but I mostly do high levels of hopping in just about everything because hops). So I started to use a single bag hung from a home made hop spider. I do not remove the hop bag until the kettle has been drained. I also squeeze the bag as I'm draining the kettle to make sure all the hoppy goodness ends up in my fermenter!

Good advice if you have a plate chiller, I use a drop in so it wasn't in my thinking. I've never had a problem with my pumps or valves, just clean well when finished.

Back