Wheat beer with only munich and wheat malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NunoAraujo

Reaction score
Has anyone tried something like this? I would like to brew a somewhat maltier hefeweizen, but not to weizenbock strength.

Nice, thanks. I was also thinking of using T-58 yeast and perle for bittering, and mandarina bavaria for flavor

I don't think using 100% munich malt as your pilsner malt will accomplish this, or will give you the results you're expecting. Munich malt in a Hefeweizen should generally be used as a minor addition to a German Pilsner malt for the barley portion of the Hefe.

To achieve what you want, you might want to try simply increasing your OG to a higher level than a standard Hefe. My normal Hefe has an OG of 1.049, but I have pumped this up to 1.058 and ended up with a Hefe in between a "normal" hefeweizen and a true weizenbock. This is something you may want to try. Also a small addition of a caramunich may increase the "maltiness"

Goodluck, and be sure to follow up with what you ended up brewing and the results

Back