what to do with 1 lb of GoldSwaen Munich Dark Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoochin'Fool

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a 16 oz, vacuum packed bag of GoldSwaen Munich Dark Malt 50L, and I'm wondering what to do with it! Asked a friend to "pick me up a pound of munich, eh". Was expecting Briess bonlander munich, but my vague request has led to me now owning this weird bag of grain!

First instinct is to hide it in a stout, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how sweet it will be... Can it replace a medium caramel/crystal malt? The packaging says:
"intense caramel and malt aroma, full round flavors, notes of biscuit"

Once I brewed a dark munich smash and the result was pleasant, almost bock like lager. I don't know what the diastic power of your malt is, but in general I would encourage you to try it.

Edit: oh, it's to little to do so...

From the maltster, 50L cara/crystal malt tending toward the Munich type flavors.

Sounds like caramunich 2. I've enjoyed that at up to 10% in a British strong ale and 3 years later still enjoying a batch of Weikert's English barleywine.

tl;dr It's a medium crystal. Use as such.

(posted at same time as #4).

I don't know what the diastic power of your malt is,
Information on the malt reads like it is a crystal malt.

A "duckduckgo" search returns a product information PDF (link)

The "product finder" is 'down' this morning, but Internet Archives captured some of the pages. For example: Gold Swaen© - Munich Dark (link)

1706965778046.png

So if it's not a munich malt at all, dont do a smash with it ;)
As DBhomebrew said, treat it like a regular caramalt.

Last edited:
Dutchman here. Swaen has some weird naming sometimes. This is indeed just their version of CaraMunich II/III, slightly different from their regular medium crystal (Gold).

Back