Weyermann Dark Bohemian?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone used this malt? Seems interesting. I’d like to make a lager with it. I’m thinking somewhat a munich replacement?

https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/weyermann-floor-malted-bohemian-dark-malt/
Haven't used but sounds nice.

Between roast and possible undermodification, I'd assume borderline DP unless you know otherwise. Maybe include some high DP pilsner, do a protein rest, or maybe extend the mash a bit (step 148F to 158F?)?

I'm conditioning a dunkel atm with two other weyermann munich malts. Perhaps next batch I'll try this one. If so, I'll check back in.

5-8L seems like a wide range!

I've used the Floor malted Bohemian Dark malt in a lot of Czech lager recipes, I love the stuff. I recently made a Czech pale lager with 9 lbs Sekado Bohemian pilsner malt, and 1.5 lbs of Bohemian Dark malt and the color was exactly the same as Urquell. I did a single decoction with it, which adds a bit of color. It also added a nice maltiness that I really like.
You could use much higher percentages in a Munich Dunkel/Czech Amber or Dark Lager, I've done so and get nice melanoidin flavors from it. In my experience, the Weyermann floor malted pilsner malt comes out very pale even after decocting it, so adding some Bohemian dark malt will get you a richer, deeper color and malt character.

I stock it. Treat it like a darker munich basically. It does have a high protein content (as opposed to say Weyermann Barke Munich), so definitely hit the protein rest if you want good extraction efficiency.

Latest posts

Back