Whats your white whale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffy5018

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The beer you always wanted to brew or to perfect but was never able to. The one that got away. The little ****er that messes with you til you can't sleep at night.

Ok, not that intense. But you get the idea.

(I'm not intending this to be a "help me fix my beer" type of thread)

For me, its a Belgian Quad (Strong Dark Ale). I've tried to brew one 5 times now and each time it's been, well, unsatisfactory. Too thin. Too bland. Too sweet. Too hot. For some reason, I can't figure that puppy out.

Just curious to hear other people's heartaches

A Dank IPA... I always get too much citrus. I want a resiny, dank IPA...

This may become mine. I made a SMaSH with Strata that was perfect, but when I followed it with an actual Strata IPA the dank was all gone. Currently fermenting another. Will try another of this one doesn’t work. Until … until …

This may become mine. I made a SMaSH with Strata that was perfect, but when I followed it with an actual Strata IPA the dank was all gone. Currently fermenting another. Will try another of this one doesn’t work. Until … until …

haha, getting rid of the dank in my IPA is mine.

i've always wanted to get better with special b malt....not really a white whale, but something i'd like to be able to toss into something more often. when it's good it's great!
Bracc - I'm curious - have you ever brewed this beer?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/red-rye-ale.25929/It's great
And fun to play with. I think you could use all the C120, Sp B and caramunich and make it all one add of Sp B.

I've never been able to get a light, citrusy Saison (similar to Apex Predator by Off Color) without using bugs. I can turn out beautiful crisp, citrusy Saisons similar to Jolly Pumpkins Bam Bier using bugs but I want to figure out how to do it with a clean yeast and a (much) faster turnaround time

Bracc - I'm curious - have you ever brewed this beer?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/red-rye-ale.25929/It's great
And fun to play with. I think you could use all the C120, Sp B and caramunich and make it all one add of Sp B.

I've got a strong ale currently conditioning with 2% Sp B. With only 2wks in the bottle that B sure is present! Hoping it mellows. 1%, like what you've got here would probably have been just right!

duffy, not trying to fix your beer but do have a helpful tip for getting Belgian beers dry with awesome mouth feel.

THE YEAST BAY BELGIAN DRY YEAST.
It is diastaticus and will take some grists down to 1.002. I have a RIS that is 1.134 OG and finishes at 1.019. My triples finish at 1.002.
As for my whale it was IPA,just to end up with what I envisioned, i'ts happened with these Kveik strains. Now my only whale is brisket!

Belgian triple. Had it come out perfect ( in my opinion) once. It is always delicious but I didn't take good enough notes to recreate it back to perfect again. I know for sure that I ran out of pure O2 on that particular batch after about a 15 second dose to the fermenter, so pretty sure that stressed the yeast (WY3787)a bit. It was one of those times where I didn't document fermentation temperature through out. When you only make it once or twice a year it is frustrating that I can't find the perfect temp to run it at. Knocked out a fantastic smoked pork butt yesterday though so I can at least cross that off my list. Haha.

Best/Special Bitter. Probably the thing I’ve brewed the most. There are so many recipes (Shut Up About Barclay Perkins, anybody?) all so different. I’ve gotten good ones, just not as good as I’d like. It’s a beer that seems like it should be pretty simple to brew but is just not.

I bought Ron’s books ‘Bitter!’ and ‘Mild’. I’ve been reading from that site a bunch of times, reading threads on here. I have the AHA style series books, etc, etc.

i've always wanted to get better with special b malt....not really a white whale, but something i'd like to be able to toss into something more often. when it's good it's great!
Here is a Rye Porter recipe I devised and made last year, with Tucson Water by the way. It has 3.3% Special B.

Maybe not white whales for me either, but I'm interested in using rye malt, and in saisons, fruited sours, and I want to make a decent IPA.

Here is a Rye Porter recipe I devised and made last year, with Tucson Water by the way. It has 3.3% Special B.

Maybe not white whales for me either, but I'm interested in using rye malt, and in saisons, fruited sours, and I want to make a decent IPA.

i'm not going to say that doesn't look like a great porter, but it's not the nut brown of my dreams!

One of the few commercial beers that's a guilty pleasure for me when I don't have a batch of homebrew on hand is Molson's Golden. I would love to get my hands on a recipe for it. Scouring the web so far has yielded little to no information, outside of the fact that Molson claims to use both ale and lager yeasts in the fermentation process.

duffy, not trying to fix your beer but do have a helpful tip for getting Belgian beers dry with awesome mouth feel.

THE YEAST BAY BELGIAN DRY YEAST.
It is diastaticus and will take some grists down to 1.002. I have a RIS that is 1.134 OG and finishes at 1.019. My triples finish at 1.002.
As for my whale it was IPA,just to end up with what I envisioned, i'ts happened with these Kveik strains. Now my only whale is brisket!
I'll look into it. I've tried wyeast 1214 and 3787 and white labs abbey 550 yeasts. Wasnt happy with how any of the beers turned out so assumed it was something I was doing wrong. Which I'm sure it is. I'm going to try again this winter for next fall drinking. If that fails, I'm resorting to self flaggelation.

Latest posts

Back