What's your next brew? Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What?

Moonless Tropical Night, a (tropical) Foreign Extra Stout recipe by Jamil Zainasheff.

Why?

This is my third and final beer in a yeast reuse experiment. I made a batch of blond ale pitched with a single pack of Danstar Nottingham. On bottling day I harvested slurry to pitch on a batch of Orfy's Hobgoblin Clone (ii). Last night I bottled that beer (goblin clone) and saved some slurry. The prevailing logic when reusing yeast to make different beers is that each batch of beer should be darker/stronger than the one that preceded it. An FES seemed like a decent follow up to the Hobgoblin clone. I will be brewing that batch tomorrow.

Last edited:
My son and I are each brewing a stout to be ready for this winters holiday season. Mine is a 3 gallon Chocolate/Coffee stout that I found on the Bertus Brewery web site. I scaled it from the 12 gallon version and picked up the goodies from my local home brew store yesterday. Currently my fermentation chamber is full of other brews so I'm waiting for a space to open and I will get on with it. Last year my son brewed a Milk Choclate stout that was fabulous, I'm not sure if he's brewing the same one this year or not but I look forward to getting together at Thanksgiving to have a comparison. It's gonna be fun!!!

What?
Spiced dunkel Weizenbock
Why?
for the 12 beers of Christmas thread. Want to get a batch in incase it doesn't come off as expected and I need to rebrew before its too late to give it proper aging.

founders breakfast stout clone... 1 gallon will go kbs. Why? Because I never tries the kbs. And I am done with summer beer brewing.

Well, my next batch will be a California Common with a southern flavor from smoked malt.

Why I am brewing this is to replenish the house stash and tweak the recipes a bit. I have never used smoke malt in this style but will add a half pound in this one.

What?
Born Again Heathenweizen (blood Orange Hefeweizen)

Why?
Beacause it is a really good beer, and I am running low on it. I have a case left, but half of it is promised to my Brother's band, the Born Again Heathens, since I originally brewed it as a specialty beer in their honor. It turned out so good that I plan to try and always have it on hand as much as possible.

Rochefort 6 clone.
I love it,but the price of it here in Thailand is robbery.
Brew it in the next couple of weeks and by late autmn it should be hitting it's stride.

10 gal of cal common, and a 5 gal batch of schwarzbier at the same time (double brew day, what?) the reason behind this is that i realized I can squeeze two 2.5 gal corny kegs on the hump of the chest freezer I use as a fermentation chamber in addition to the two Carboys. So I'm using the same strain of yeast, and the same fermentation schedule.
The 5 gal schwarzbier is more of an experimental batch, as I have never fermented in corny kegs before. But hey I got room for it so why not.

I need to get my hybrid lager 4.2 brewed for my next book. But it's so damn hot, I might just as well do a saison again?

Got some comp beers to brew up.

1. Scottish 60
2. Munich Helles
3. American Pale Ale

The husband has been jonesing for a porter or stout after all of the IPA's I've been brewing, so like many here before me I'm going to give Yooper's Oatmeal Stout a shot. Looks fairly foolproof (me=fool) and I may tweak it a smidgen with some vanilla beans I've got in the freezer, after they get a long soak in some spiced rum.

What?
My house IPA - 10 gallons
Why?
Honestly, I have to burn through several pounds of hops before the hop harvest in August/September. I have a lot leftover, and it has got to go to make room in my freezer. This little 10g batch is the "lite" version of my DIPA, which consumed a whopping 20 Oz of hops in a 5 gallon batch. This won't be nearly as wanton in the hop additions. Only about 12 Oz per 5 gallons. (But there's still a 4 Oz dry hop.)

5 gallons is for the house, to replenish the 5 of that DIPA that is about to kick. I'll then have a full 20 gallons of liquid awesome rolling in the kegerator.

The other 5? Off to a friend once I bottle it. Which means I have to find my bottling wand...

Oktoberfestbier. Followed by maybe another lager to get a second use of of the yeast... Maybe a schwarzbier.

In parallel I think I'll make some alcoholic ginger ale and start a batch of apfelwein. Need to buy a carboy for that...

2 weeks ago I bottled my latest stout and it should be conditioned around the tail end of November. Now I am jonesing to brew again.
My next 2 brews are:
Centennial Blonde because I like to keep an ewsy drinker on hand at all times plus it's a recipe I have wanted to try for a long time.
Also I will be brewing an Irish Red because next to a stout it's my go to beer when I am out.

My next brew will be on Sunday I will be brewing an oatmeal stout. Time to start getting the winter beers ready, plus I love a good oatmeal stout

Thinking about starting a pumpkin ale in the next few weeks. Nothing better than football sunday, chilly weather and lots of pumpkin beer!

Boulevard Tank 7 Farmhouse clone. Mostly because the yeast is nearing the exp date.

imperial stout .. because ive never brewed a beer to age / high gravity. I finally have a bit of a pipeline so I wont mine waiting. finally finally I love imp stouts but they are hard to find in Canada and are very expensive

10 gallons of pre prohibition lager. Going to spend a month away from home, may as well lager something while im gone. Already have 5 of lite lager and 15 gallons of Kolsch squirreled away. Still sipping on a saison, pale ale and milk stout to make room.

A New England style double IPA. I vacationed in Maine a few weeks ago and really enjoyed the juicy IPAs they brew up there. I managed to visit the Maine Brewing Co. and Foundation Brewing while I was there and they inspired me to make it my next brew.

Three next brews coming up:

1. First attempt at an English Mild- I've always wanted to try and brew one so let's get it done.

2. Two Mo's Pale Ale-this is the favorite beer of my friends that I brew. Get one more batch in before summer ends.

3. Winter WiseMenBock- I recently brewed this at a local brewpub with the head brewer. We made it a bit more Americanized, using WLP320 instead of 300... and US Magnum hops... I'm going to brew a small batch with 300 and German hops just to compare it to for fun.

Planning a California Common and then I want a saison and a wheat, maybe a Belgian... Hmmmmm.

Beer: Centennial Blonde.

Why? Because 1/4 of New York State (esp. our area) is officially in a drought. So, I thought it was the most expedient way to preserve much-needed water while there still is any.

Three next brews coming up:

1. First attempt at an English Mild- I've always wanted to try and brew one so let's get it done.

2. Two Mo's Pale Ale-this is the favorite beer of my friends that I brew. Get one more batch in before summer ends.

3. Winter WiseMenBock- I recently brewed this at a local brewpub with the head brewer. We made it a bit more Americanized, using WLP320 instead of 300... and US Magnum hops... I'm going to brew a small batch with 300 and German hops just to compare it to for fun.

I'l be doing a mild as well as my next beer. Always wanted one to try brewing one but never have.

Orange and habanero session. Got a bbq coming up and I wanted to brew something a little different for the guys.

Boulevard Wheat clone. Had the ingredients on hand and need something easy drinking once the kolsch I'm drinking runs out. I like to keep a lighter beer on one tap and something more experimental on the other.

An American Wheat. SWMBO just informed me that I was expected to bring some beer to a picnic in a couple of weeks. I heard wheat ales ferment quickly, I hope that's true. Go go gadget fermenter!

Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer. I've always wanted to make that, and this should be just about right to have it on tap for the very end of summer.

5 Gallons of East India porter. Because I had a pretty good one at Mikkeller and wanted to try it out myself

2.5 Gallons California Common with Cry havoc. Because I've always wanted to brew one and the LHBS was out of WLP810 so I got 2 vials of old cry havoc as a consolation.

Looking at a 6 gal recipe for a harvest pumpkin ale for autumn. I'll be tweaking some of the grains, hops, and maybe spices from a conglomerate of recipes. I know I like mine dark amber, with a hint of pumpkin and spice, focus on malt backbone and malty/carmel sweetness. Low hop profile, but present. I think I have an okay recipe going, but more research is needed.

Mutt Wheat... have to burn up all my leftover grains. Will it be good? Who knows. Will my friends drink it no matter what? Yes.

It's a toss-up between a Berliner weisse and a Flemish red... Not sure which I'll do next... Or I might just throw an RIS or Double IPA in first. Guess I'll have to see. Not planning on brewing again this summer, though.

Amber with citrus (either blood orange if I can get it or grapefruit) because it'll use the yeast I just harvested and it's my son's first ground-up recipe formulation.

I need to brew version 4.2 of my Hopped & Confused hybrid lagers for my 2nd book. But I think I'll use my HD credit card to put a fermentation cabinet together to use the ITC-1000F temp controller I won from Inkbird. Been dragging my heels on ferment temp control for too long.

Back