What's your next brew? Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to do a couple one gallon batches this weekend - a stout and a Munich SMaSH with either magnum or centennial hops. This will also be my first attempt at reusing washed yeast, so hopefully all goes well.

A patersbier. Why? Well, my plan was to do two pilsner lagers over the winter. I did one and got ingredients for the second (just 11 lbs of German pilsner malt) and decided I needed more variety and didn't want TWO pilsner lagers around. So I put the pilsner aside and made a Vienna lager instead.

But I still have to use up that pilsner, so patersbier to the rescue. I think it'll be interesting to have the pilsner lager around while I'm serving the patersbier because they are wildly different beers, but the recipes are identical except for the yeast.

Going to give a go to a Chinook Azacca IPA.

MO/Wheat/Munich

Chinook for bittering (perhaps 40 IBU total) and Cascade and Azacca for late boil, knockout and dry hopping. I have Ahtanum that may sub for the Cascade.

Bumping wheat to a higher % than before -maybe 15% or so.

The reason? Not sure. It sounds interesting and I want to try. Something tells me the dark chewiness of the Chinook and the round tropical fruit of Azacca will work.

Loads of late and after boil additions should be more pronounced than the Chinook, but it will still maintain a presence.

Just moved my strong ale (started as a near gnarly wine clone turned to barley wine/honey strong ale) to secondary and figuring a date to brew a red ale

Put one IPA to bed this morning. Going to get another going next weekend using Golden Promise & Golden Naked Oats.

Well that is a interesting set of grains for a IPA! Why did you choose them most people want a hop heavy IPA and the malt is not of importance!:)

An exact copy of my first lager I did two weeks ago except with US-05 for a fun little experiment. I want to let several people try it and see if they can tell which is the ale and which is the lager.

Well that is a interesting set of grains for a IPA! Why did you choose them most people want a hop heavy IPA and the malt is not of importance!:)

I keep hearing about Maris Otter or Golden Promise being a great base malt for IPAs, and not only does Golden Naked Oats seem to go with GP taste-wise, but I like the descriptor of "shaving-cream foam" that GNO gives. GNO is also described as slightly berry-like, and I am using my experimental hops (that I still have no idea of their taste) on the boil, plus Amarillo for the dry-hop, so think in my head that everything will work together.

Plus, this one is bound to clear 8% ABV, so it's almost a DIPA, which needs a maltier back-bone.

IOW - I really had no idea & just made **** up.

:)

I'm going to do a couple one gallon batches this weekend - a stout and a Munich SMaSH with either magnum or centennial hops. This will also be my first attempt at reusing washed yeast, so hopefully all goes well.

I had heard that Munich has a big caramelly flavor which is true and not true. It was caramel, but balanced well with my Chinook hops which I thought would dry hop as strong like Citra but was much more subtle. So the lesson was Munich not as strong caramel as I had read and Chinook subtle dry hopped. This coincidence was happily married into a American Amber Ale and was great in style, but if you are looking for a big caramel flavor from Munich, that was not what I got from my limited experience.

I keep hearing about Maris Otter or Golden Promise being a great base malt for IPAs, and not only does Golden Naked Oats seem to go with GP taste-wise, but I like the descriptor of "shaving-cream foam" that GNO gives. GNO is also described as slightly berry-like, and I am using my experimental hops (that I still have no idea of their taste) on the boil, plus Amarillo for the dry-hop, so think in my head that everything will work together.

Plus, this one is bound to clear 8% ABV, so it's almost a DIPA, which needs a maltier back-bone.

IOW - I really had no idea & just made **** up.

:)
Hey let me know how it turned out I am using wheat for the head, Maybe I will change!:mug:

This last batch had a half-pound each wheat & Munich on top of 6# of two-row. Same experimental hops, but will dry-hop with Citra & Simcoe.

I'll be letting everyone know how they come out!

:D

*EDIT* I got a bottle of Miller High Life (The Champagne of Beers!), poured off about an ounce, then stuffed 6-7 cones of the experimental hops in there & capped it back up. I will let it warm up overnight, sit all day & into the evening tomorrow, then put it in the fridge tomorrow night to chill it for tasting the next day. This should give me some idea!

I had heard that Munich has a big caramelly flavor which is true and not true. It was caramel, but balanced well with my Chinook hops which I thought would dry hop as strong like Citra but was much more subtle. So the lesson was Munich not as strong caramel as I had read and Chinook subtle dry hopped. This coincidence was happily married into a American Amber Ale and was great in style, but if you are looking for a big caramel flavor from Munich, that was not what I got from my limited experience.
I guess I'll find out in a month or so. I've never used it before, but have heard pretty much universally that it's a makes a delicious SMaSH beer. I don't need a lot of convincing about such things. :D

I am surprised at how dark it looks in the fermenter though, I expected it to be much paler.

Going to brew my go-to house beers, a very low ABV Ordinary Bitter (3%) and an even lower Dark Mild (2.8%), and a Strong Bitter (5.5%). None of which are particularly traditional recipes but I love them. And after that, I'll do my house Best Bitter (4.5%), same deal. The three Bitters are all very similar anyway apart from strength.

Ok. The wife weighed in on the next brew day. She wants a hefe. I can do that, despite loathing the style. My hefe is actually one of my best recipes, oddly enough. I'll hop it with Nugget.

I'll double brew this round, making also a WPA with Citra, Mosaic, and some strange experimental hop I have sitting in my fridge. I'll probably clean out those three hops (certainly a mega hop bomb) but at least it will be a wheat to remember. Both will be in the 5% range. I'll try the hothead yeast with this one.

My beloved was excited to know my next brew was a small batch clone of her favorite beer - Easy Street Wheat.

Must say I enjoyed her reaction more so when I told her she was brewing it with me.

I have a stout finishing up on 1450 yeast. Next brew day will be a double batch of ESB split between the 1450 slurry and the yeast I used last time, 1968, to compare the two.

After that I'm going to try a kentucky common, I started learning about the style recently and it sounds like a really interesting way to do a quick, easy brew.

Mashing a Citra Pale Ale this morning, here.
Trying to zero in, I think I'm almost there, we'll see.

Brewing a pilsener for a homebrew club competition. We drew a hop, a yeast and an adjunct from a hat, and everyone has to brew with those ingredients. We wound up with Saaz hops, Conan yeast and rice. This is the first one of these I've done, I'm curious to see how it turns out. Be fun to see what the others have come up with.

9.9% Barleywine because I have a whiskey barrel that needs a seriously enormous beer. It'll get a small beer for a week (first run) then the Barleywine for maybe a month or three.

9.9% Barleywine because I have a whiskey barrel that needs a seriously enormous beer. It'll get a small beer for a week (first run) then the Barleywine for maybe a month or three.

Seriously enormous?

My DIPA was 10.1%.

I'm thinking you should push 13-14%.

Not brewing this weekend as my fridges are full, but I'm going to brew a german pils the following. Or I might do 10gal of a DEM and then split between two separate yeasts... that might be the following weekend though.

Czech pilsner. Hoping to have ready in time for two competitions. Using the quick lager method which has worked well for the last few lagers I've done.

Then a saison, planning some stouts and my Porter. Again, all for competition. Going to sneak in a few single hop IPA as well.

Seriously enormous?

My DIPA was 10.1%.

I'm thinking you should push 13-14%.

Man, I'm already scrrd at 9.9%....much bigger than I've gone before. I'd be afraid of a yeast stall out or something at 14. Guess I'd want to use pacman or something aggressive and not my same old us05.

I bought a pack of WY-3333 German Wheat yeast. Not sure exactly what I'm going to do with it, but it will be my next brew and I'll harvest the slurry. If I like the stuff I might use it in everything this summer. A wheat yeast that drops clear, what's not to like?

I think maybe a German steam beer: all barley malt (pils+Munich), lightly hopped, fermented with wheat ale yeast.

An amber ale hopped with columbus and cascade with an amarillo dry hop.

Blue corn saison. Got the blue corn grits today. My brother asked me to try and make one a while back. Going to be doing a cereal mash.

Spring back black beer with pale 2 row Vienna, 80, chocolate and roasted barley fuggled and pacific gem drinking a hefty wierdyweizen

I'm going to brew up a batch of Morag's Mojito from Brew Dog's recipes. I really want to make a beer with ginger in it, and this sends like a good place to start.

Brewing in 2-3 weeks, because I already have 20gal of beer fermenting right now.

I'll be doing a Black IPA, so that I can finish off my bag of 2row as well as use up more of my centennial/amarillo hops. Then I'll be buying a new 55lb bag (most likely MO) and a couple pounds of different hops for whatever I decide to do next.

Doing a Milk Stout with Cocao Nibs and Vanilla beans (in secondary) on Friday.

I'm doing this one because it's the first brew on my new eHERMS system and I wanted to do a recipe I've done before. Plus, I wanted to do something with a relatively small amount of hops because it'll be my first experience doing free floating hops with the Blichmann HopBlocker. I didn't want to do an IPA right out of the gate with 10-12oz of hop pellets in the kettle! :)

The next two planned brews are for my wedding this summer. First is a German Pils. Brewday should be in two weekends. About two months from now we'll do a quick second batch of something fresh and hoppy. The wedding is on the beach at the Oregon coast in June, so we want nice refreshing beers flowing to keep everyone hydrated. :drunk:

Next brew day will be a 10 gallon split batch of czech pilz and saison. Going to utilize my Kazbek hops and see what they're all about.

Why? Because they both sound like delicious summer beers!

An American wheat with Kumquats, specifically requested. Test batch for a friends wedding. If it's good I'll be bringing a 5 gal batch to the wedding.

Back