What's your least favorite micro brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found that if I judge a beer based on the contents of a bottle...I'm really doing no favors for the brewer. New Castle is a prime example. Bought a bottle in London at a TESCO one night. Took it back to the Hotel. Popped it open... YUK!! Poured the stuff out. Couldn't stand it. Few months ago...I'm in a Hotel in Tampa, FL. Hmmm...that's interesting...only two beers on Tap. New Castle and some mega brewery Light beer. I decided to give New Castle another go. It was excellent. So it got me to wondering...how many of these beers get stuck in a truck with a broken refrigeration unit while the driver whiles the day away at a topless joint. By the time the beer gets to your glass...it's lost it's flavor and the truck driver is out of one's...

On the other hand, I've had a beer that was the worst diacetyl-laden, uncarbonated crap ever straight off the tap at the brewery, whereas out of the bottle it was pretty good. I found out later that the bottle version is brewed by a contract brewery at a different location.

Big thumbs down to Breckenridge.

The first beer I tried was their 471 IPA several months ago, and that beer is aweful. WAY too sweet. I could never finish a bottle of it because my mouth was sickeningly gooey from the sweetness. I think I ended up throwing 2 bottles from the 6 packet into the trash. (Couldn't even find a way to use it in some cooking!)

I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and picked up their Vanilla Porter a couple of days ago. It has an unpleasant "dirty" taste to it. I won't be drinking this one either, but MIGHT be able to use it in some BBQ sauce or something.

Some great points have been made in this thread. I used to love Abita beers (Except for their Strawberry crap) but over the last couple years it seems that either a. they have changed their beer or b. my palate has changed. The only one I really still like is the Jockamo IPA. Their seasonals are hit and miss.

Now, Fat Tire ....talk about the most overrate sac of crap beer out there

+1. I finally had one in September, and I found it to be lacking. Couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Their 1554 however, is another story. That is one good damn beer....(at least to me :D)

+1. I finally had one in September, and I found it to be lacking. Couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Their 1554 however, is another story. That is one good damn beer....(at least to me :D)

I almost missed 1554 because of my general dislike of NB. That would have been unfortunate.

I almost missed 1554 because of my general dislike of NB. That would have been unfortunate.

I agree.

I was skeptical of my first taste of 1554 because of the huge let-down on the Fat Tire. I was given a glass while I was preparing food at an outdoor event, and I just took it, listened to the giver prattle on about it, and set myself to "do the polite thing after I tasted this swill".....you know...the raised eyebrow, the hmmn....the cocking of the head....the "That's not bad.", and then dump it when he turns his back.

Not with that sample. No way. That stuff had me scheming and plotting my next trip to Georgia (can't get it in Florida).

I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and picked up their Vanilla Porter a couple of days ago. It has an unpleasant "dirty" taste to it. I won't be drinking this one either, but MIGHT be able to use it in some BBQ sauce or something.

bought this for new years eve last year - not clean at all. it got drank tho, but certainly not before 1am, haha....

Does Buffalo Bill's count? Orange Blossom Cream Ale isn't even beer - it's orange soda!

It's contract brewed by Pyramid, I believe. I'm thinking of writing a letter asking for my money back.

I know it's made by Coors, so not really a microbrewery (tho it wants to be), but any of the blue moons. freaking horrible. oh, just put an orange in it? Is that what i have to do to make it taste good? Why don't i just sprinkle some crack in it too, then the terrible flavor will really be hidden.

Columbia SC only offers a few. River Rat brewery has a cool little tap room, but it seems they've spent most of their money on decorative stainless steel instead of hiring a competent brewer. On the other hand, the bar tender's know it all attitude, the all male after work - industrial park crowd and the miserable parking situation, were perfect compliments to the mediocrity they call beer...

In my area, Oscar Blues would be my least favorite. I just can't think of one of their beers that I've tried that I would consider great or even very good. And quite a few of them are below average in my opinion. I can't finish a Dale's Pale. Lots of people love them, though. I think it has a lot to do with their pioneering of craft beer in cans and also that they are very aggressive with expansion and distribution.

Actually, now that I think about it, the newish IPA they started making in the blue cans is pretty decent.

I almost hate posting to this thread, because I wish all good things for people who have the guts to start their own brewery, and I want to give them the benefit of any doubts, but since this place has closed, and their crimes were egregious, I will name names....

The Guvnor Brewpub in South Norwalk, Connecticut lasted about 14 months as I recall. It was a pretty little build-out on Washington Street, the main restaurant drag. The "brewery" was a 600 square foot glassed-in alley in back of the bar with four or five pretty brass colored tanks in it. I couldn't really figure out what was brew house or bright tank, except afterward someone with knowledge told me it was one of those turnkey micro-brewpub systems.

In any case, I was very excited when it opened and went for a beer. Zero aroma, flat, flavorless. Couldn't finish it.

Went back after three months thinking I'd give them time to work things out. Same.

Six months later I gave them another try. Worse than ever. Even the bartender was making excuses about the beer.

The place closed a little while after that thankfully putting itself out of my misery.

Wow...great story of your attempt to persevere and patronize. We all know a few very competent home brewers, but there's always some that never really get the basics of the process down well enough to make anything drinkable. Yet almost everyone speaks of someday "going pro". Why would you open a restaurant if you were an awful cook? A third of the breweries flood the market with beers that suck, tap room service that is embarrassing and owners that are still working that full time job, so they can't devote enough time to doing it right.

I'm a late convert to craft beers, mostly because I'd had so many negative experiences over the years. One place that I can't remember the name of, was either in either Racine or Kenosha WI. They opened with a pioneering spirit just like the CT Guvnor brewery you mention. I could hardly wait to try it as they were building. They also had a nice restaurant and an outdoor beer garden. The house ale opening weekend, was green and still fermenting. It made me so sick that I couldn't drink anything but corn/rice based factory beer for nearly a decade.

One night a few years back I ordered an ale at a Gordon Beirscht establishment on Paradise Blvd. in Las Vegas. It was a weeknight and they were dead. Maybe 4 or 5 non employees in the whole place. Three seats down, one of the fellow patrons puked on the bar top and then proceeded to pass out, face down in his own vomit. The bartender didn't notice until I pointed the spectacle out to him and suggested he police his patrons a little better. I don't think it had as much to do with the quality as the quantity of beer, but I took a hiatus from microbreweries after that little episode too.

Resignation Brewery in Austin TX... "Home of the KCCO line of beers." So laaaaame.

Columbia SC only offers a few. River Rat brewery has a cool little tap room, but it seems they've spent most of their money on decorative stainless steel instead of hiring a competent brewer. On the other hand, the bar tender's know it all attitude, the all male after work - industrial park crowd and the miserable parking situation, were perfect compliments to the mediocrity they call beer...

That double IPA they make is among the worst beers I have ever tried.

I really hate to name a small local brewery since we dont have many where I live, but 559 is so terrible that it's become a running joke with beer enthusiasts in my area. The few beers I've had were definitely infected.

It's just sad because local people new to craft beer are just going to be turned off to the whole thing.

Is Magic Hat micro? I share Burlington Vermont with them, unfortunately. They're shamelessly self worshiping, and rarely come up with a beer that's not entirely horrible(a couple are ok at best). I spit on you Magic Hat!!!

Is Magic Hat micro? I share Burlington Vermont with them, unfortunately. They're shamelessly self worshiping, and rarely come up with a beer that's not entirely horrible(a couple are ok at best). I spit on you Magic Hat!!!

No, they are a subsidiary. And I agree. Since we've refreshed this thread, let me throw some locals under the bus, which I hate to do, but come on, don't make it all about the money and try harder. Duclaw cuz nearly every one of their thousand weekly releases is subpar and Flying Dog bc they've stopped trying to make good beer, they mass produce whatever bland garble they come up with under the guise of brewhouse rarities, and they're all awful, I've just stopped buying it cuz I can't stand the let down anymore. Just my opinions, don't attack me

Least favorite micro brewery? Without question, it has to The Chelsea Ale House in Chelsea Michigan. The few times I ever set foot in the place, I could never get waited on, the guy running the bar was more interested in watching the TV than tending the business, and after looking at the prices posted on the wall behind the bar, the beers are seriously overpriced compared to other local breweries. In my humble opinion, The Chelsea Ale House is only trying to cater to the obnoxious yuppie snobs in the Chelsea/Ann Arbor area who think they know it all about beer. My advice is to just save your money and brew your own, or go across the parking lot to Jet's Pizza for a growler fill of REALMichigan craft beer, of which a pleasant variety is on tap for you to enjoy from many Michigan breweries.

I've seen others reply Sam Adams......not only would I not classify them as a micro brewery, but Y'ALL BAT-**** CRAZY! SA has some damn good brews. But if we, for the sake of argument, are going to put SA in the MB category, then I would have to say that ANYTHING from Dogfish Head is gutter swill.

Don't feel bad. With the multitudes of new breweries opening everywhere there's bound to be some who are hopping (!) on the bandwagon without knowing what they're doing.
Speaking of which, last summer I went home and visited my old brew pub watering hole, and man has that place gone downhill. The beer sucked and the service was worse. Such a shame, they had been brewing good beer for the better part of 2 decades.

I really hate to name a small local brewery since we dont have many where I live, but 559 is so terrible that it's become a running joke with beer enthusiasts in my area. The few beers I've had were definitely infected.

It's just sad because local people new to craft beer are just going to be turned off to the whole thing.

That was going to be my answer. Band aid is pretty common in their IPA. Had some free samples at the Fresno Home Show, tasted like bad homebrew.

Looking over the responses, this is obviously very subjective. If I'm going to rate a brewery this way I feel like I have to visit in person and sample a few. I figure if the beer tastes bad at the source, then there isn't really a good excuse.

There are just WAY too many variables in distribution to completely swear one off. Bottled beer is oxidized, pubs don't clean the tap lines, variances in the recipe, etc. For example, my first Green Flash DIPA was super oxidized, yet the beer is generally rated pretty well.

So, I've been to a lot of the breweries mentioned. I saw someone mention Bar Harbor Brewing Company...Atlantic Brewing Company acquired this brand several years ago. I have to say that I was incredibly disappointed in Atlantic for something that is so widely available in that region of Maine. It's not that the beers were bad, but they were very lackluster. Go to Portland for much better options like Maine BC or Rising Tide.

Another big disappointment was Great Northern Brewing Co. in Whitefish, MT. Cool logo though, so I bought a T-shirt.

Every good bar these days has 20 taps. Half of which should not be there..Just because somebody CAN go in business doesn't mean they should...There are more bad beers then good beers these days... My vote is half the micro beers I've tasted at a bar...to counter the negativity a good fresh Smithwicks on tap at an Irish bar in NYC would be my burial beer

I was hoping nobody mentioned it yet, and I read through and didn't see it.

However, my last 2 years of college in Stillwater, OK, a brewery by the name of Iron Monk was about to open...Oh god..

A milk stout was their first beer out. all and all, it was ehh. I did finish it but didn't want too.

Second was a DIPA. oh god people have died trying to drink this. pours a nasty puke brown color, I think they used 100 year old hops, and really it just sucked...however i was excited Stillwater was getting a brewery so I kept trying

A honey wheat...tasted like sugar water

An amber that somehow tasted vinegary

A session IPA that was alright

thats all I got to try. I was really dissapointed in the place

Magic Hat, Atwater
Neither of these are "micro" though. In fact, most people don't use the term microbrewery anymore.

Back