What's the highest OG brew fermented with Wyeast 3711?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbeergeek

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with this yeast strain (or even just familiar with its thread here on HBT) knows that this thing is a monster and dries out everything it touches. I want to know what's the highest OG that this thing has taken down, and how dry was the resulting product (ie FG)? I'm contemplating its use in a huge quad or golden strong, and wondering how high the OG would have to be to not overly-attenuate.

well wyeast says it has an ABV tolerance of 12%. so i guess the highest OG you could do depends on where you want the yeast to finish out at.

I did a partial mash tripel that ended up in the neighborhood of 1.1 (because I subbed in palm sugar for candi sugar I think) when it was supposed to be 1.084. Anyway, it's dry as a bone and seriously dangerous. It took months before it was drinkable, but you still really need to make sure you're staying in for the night and don't have anywhere to be in the morning before you pop one open. That said, I used a lot of sugar in this one so if you stuck to grain only it might not dry out as much.

I did a "saison-wine" of 1.100 that ended up at 1.002, It would have been pleasant but I overused some hops that didn't blend well, and it never bottle-carbed properly. I might revisit that as my next 2.5gal batch with better hop choices and force carbed

I did a "saison-wine" of 1.100 that ended up at 1.002, It would have been pleasant but I overused some hops that didn't blend well, and it never bottle-carbed properly. I might revisit that as my next 2.5gal batch with better hop choices and force carbed

I'm assuming there was sugar in the recipe? I want to know what this thing does in high gravity, all grain (ideally simple sugar free) brewing...

I did a partial mash tripel that ended up in the neighborhood of 1.1 (because I subbed in palm sugar for candi sugar I think) when it was supposed to be 1.084. Anyway, it's dry as a bone and seriously dangerous. It took months before it was drinkable, but you still really need to make sure you're staying in for the night and don't have anywhere to be in the morning before you pop one open. That said, I used a lot of sugar in this one so if you stuck to grain only it might not dry out as much.

what % of the 1.100 brew was simple sugar? What was the FG?

well wyeast says it has an ABV tolerance of 12%. so i guess the highest OG you could do depends on where you want the yeast to finish out at.

Sure. I want some firsthand experiences, including how the stuff tasted.

what % of the 1.100 brew was simple sugar? What was the FG?

Not as dry as I thought actually. Looking at my notes it went from 1.100 to 1.009 with 12% palm sugar. This was without giving it any heat during fermentation so probably mid-70s, which might actually be right in the middle of what Wyeast recommends.

Back